The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Baillie's allergies View next topic
View previous topic
Baillie's Mom
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Baillie has been poorly for a while now and has had us both very worried. We recently took him to see the vets and he underwent blood tests for Addisons, Cushings and Hypothyroid which all came back negative (phew). We also had allergy testing done at the same time as we though we may as well while we were having the other stuff done. Anyway, I had a long conversation with the Vet today regarding his results. Baillie was clear of environmental which included all grasses, pollens, trees, shrubs, plants. In the household he is clear of dustmites and house dust etc so all good there. We now know he has reactions to the Beef, Lamb, Chicken, Turkey and Blue Fish which apparently is tuna, mackerell, salmon and sardine.

Does anyone have any advice on any good dry food which contains the foodstuff he can have which includes Venison, Duck, Pork, Eggs and white fish which is cod, cock, sole, hake, monkfish, whiting and scorpionfish.

They just put nightlights on to show us they care.

Last edited by Baillie's Mom on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Dorsetangels
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow great news about the tests when you know what it is you can start to get things sorted. I cant help you with Dry as mine are on raw. Looking forward to seeing when folk come up with.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's good that you have some answers now, the only dried food I would recomend is Millies Wolfheart, they do a large range of recipes so I'm sure there will be one without the foods you need to avoid, have a look:

https://www.millieswolfheart.co.uk/

Can I just ask if the allergy testing was done via blood tests?

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have mine on Markus Muhle Red deer venison ( no room for a freezer for raw sadly). This gets good reviews as it is cold pressed, looks like pellets. Their poo is less smelly & although not small like raw-fed, not bad & mine love it. Pastou dances round when it is feeding time. They have been on it for 2 months ( well since we got Lilas, as she was already on it). I pay £44 for 15kg sack. I give Pastou less than the recommended for his weight, as he started to get chunky. Hope you find one that suits Smile

freddyteddy
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dont know if this is any good for you We are just trying "tails "dog food. I am impressed so far Ordered online 1 day and arrived within 48 house and they mix it to suit your dog.We are trying to get some weight off Freddie and I got him a bag of Hills which I had to return today as he wouldnt touch it ....but he loves the food from Tails. They have mixed a special diet one It came recommended by a friend
Baillie's Mom
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

freddyteddy wrote:
Dont know if this is any good for you We are just trying "tails "dog food. I am impressed so far Ordered online 1 day and arrived within 48 house and they mix it to suit your dog.We are trying to get some weight off Freddie and I got him a bag of Hills which I had to return today as he wouldnt touch it ....but he loves the food from Tails. They have mixed a special diet one It came recommended by a friend

I tries Tails last year and Baillie loved it but had dire ears, unfortunately it does contain a lot of what he cant have.

Baillie's Mom
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Jacquietwig wrote:

Yes, it was done through blood tests. I had the choice of them doing tests in house or sending away for a full screen. I decided to do a full screen as if the Addisons, Cushings and Thyroid were negative then it may show something up in the screening, The results were all good apart from the food tolerances. It doesn't leave a lot for him to have but we are doing a lot of research. At the moment we have taken everything food wise that he has been having and feeding simply (albeit a dry duck and rice) and keeping a food and reaction diary. So am open to any ideas which anyone may have.

Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If at all possible for you of course, wouldn't you like to try homemade BARF-based meals for Baillie? Then you could choose whatever ingredients suit him, and having started giving this type of diet to Miss You my Lowchen since December, I find it easy to follow. Of course, for a Beardie, you would need a large freezer (this is why Foxie my Beardie is still on dry food, until I solve the freezer problem!).

AnnS
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Think Simpsons do a duck version. Good luck finding what suits Baillie, so many dog foods out there.
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Baillie's Mom wrote:
Jacquietwig wrote:

Yes, it was done through blood tests. I had the choice of them doing tests in house or sending away for a full screen. I decided to do a full screen as if the Addisons, Cushings and Thyroid were negative then it may show something up in the screening, The results were all good apart from the food tolerances. It doesn't leave a lot for him to have but we are doing a lot of research. At the moment we have taken everything food wise that he has been having and feeding simply (albeit a dry duck and rice) and keeping a food and reaction diary. So am open to any ideas which anyone may have.

Thanks a lot, I'm having some issues with Tala and thought of allergy testing but the vet suggested an elimination diet would be easiest, problem is she seems to have had just about every protein available at some time including fish so not really much of an option. I think a blood test might be the best for her. Thanks again.

One thing to be careful of when researching diets is that companies are not always open about ingredients. I thought I had Tala on a beef and turkey diet only to find, after she was scratching like made and I made enquiries, that they put chicken in the beef variety but don't declare it on the ingredients list Evil or Very Mad

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Sheli, easy to say I know, but at least he is clear of Addisons, Cushings etc.

We have Flynn who has a real bad reaction to chicken (including bonios, shapes etc as they put chicken derivatives(sp) in them) and Georgie who can't tolerate beef, she's finally been diagnosed with IBS.

So we have them both on fish for Dogs, the white fish not salmon. Both dogs enjoy eating their meals.

We did have them on James Wellbeloved as well, they do a white fish with veg, and I'm sure they do Duck with veg as well.

Nature diet do Lamb and Rabbit and I put just a tea spoon in with their meals.

Hope you get it sorted soon, please give Baillie gentle cuddles from all of us here xxx

tb
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The good news is you now know what you are working with, it may be trail and error but hopefully once Baillies new food regime is sorted he will feel much better..

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well Baillie was taken off his usual food when we found out what was causing his problems. We thought long and hard about what and how we were going to feed him. We have gone for a mixture of James Wellbeloved and Burns as they do Duck / Pork and Venison.

While we were at Crufts we fund some very interesting treats for him (some he likes and some he doesn't) but very interestingly on speaking to some of the food places and explaining the position we were in a couple of stands actually admitted that we shouldn't feed Baillie their brand as it contained Chicken Oil (it isn't noted on the packaging).

Although it's only a week I have noticed a great deal of difference in his behaviour, he was even laying on the grooming table last night having his ears cleaned and having a good brushing. He was so good I actually asked Deeley if he had brought the right dog home from his walk.

I know it is going to be trial and error to find a good balance but I just wonder how long he had been suffering with it.

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's very interesting Sheli, it just goes to show we really don't know how much food can influence our dogs. Thanks for the tip about the chicken oil, I wonder if maybe I should check with my suppliers to make sure they don't add anything chicken to their raw food, chicken does seem to affect Tala.
That's really good you are seeing improvement with Ballie already Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am delighted to hear that Baillie is already feeling better; hope it continues and he is soon back to his lovely self.

Hopefully you and Deeley will feel better too.

Big hugs Baillie
xxx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good news Smile Hope he continues to improve & you finally find a food that works for him

DoubleTrouble
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds very promising Shelli. Hopefully this will continue. xx

ps : I didn't know you were at Crufts. Sorry I missed seeing you.

Scruffymuffins
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to hear about Baillie's allergies, but fingers crossed the new food works.x
Gilliebreeze
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Shelli, not on here as much anymore. But saw your post Smile
Having experience with allergies with Burdie can highly reccomend Lilys kitchen check for grain free and suitable protein source or Bob and lush, again check right protein source. Natures menu do raw nuggets in venison which i use quite often.

Also could go down the completely hydrolysed route.
Anallergenic by RC is VG ( not natural)
But certainly helps build condition as absorbed I guess from no reactions.

Hope Baillie improves and hugs 🤗 too him for me.

Lisa xxx

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic