The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 FEEDING RAW View next topic
View previous topic
Belinda
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know this has been a topic in the past, but I'm having trouble locating all the information - I'm not even sure I'm in the right part of the forum!

I'm changing the Ds to raw food and I wanted to get some advice from people who've tried it.

I've been advised by the lady who looks after the Ds when we're on holiday to use Naturaw which is a local company and we've just had our first delivery.

So, any helpful advice or experiences with raw would be very helpful to me.

Love

Belinda and the Ds
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I feed raw and the food I now use is Nutriment: http://www.nutriment.co/

I used to make up the diet myself but now find it much more convenient to use Nutriment as it's a balanced diet and has no grains or other fillers. My lot do very well on it and certainly don't leave anything in their bowls Wink

Just had a quick look at the site you mention and I see they also sell Nutriment Very Happy I only had a quick look but the other mixes they sell don't appear to be complete so that's something to watch. You may need to add offal and some veg/supplements. Make sure the meat is UK produced (not EU) and is human consumption.

I think Nutriment is the only raw dog food to get 5 stars Wink Cool

Well done on changing to raw, you wont be disappointed. I find that with Nutriment they don't need an awful lot of it to maintain weight so that's something to think about too. Do let us know how you get on.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I use a local company -nurture by nature I like them because I can go and see what I am buying, Good quality and fantastic variety and I think good value.
They sell fish as well and chicken and other meats too. Good lunch I dont think you will regret it. (I always have something if I forget to get stuff out in time to defrost) Fortglade normally. They love fresh vegtables as well and some fruits too.
x

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks to both of you. I'll let you know how we all get on. Dave has a very delicate tummy which is one reason we're changing. I'm not sure I can cope with making it all up myself so we're using the complete meals for the moment. We'll see how it goes.

Belinda
Cornish Cleo
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Belinda

Good to hear from you again. How are you both, and Daisy and Dave of course?

We too use Nutriment, and are very happy with it. The company bend over backwards to help, and also support dog charities.

Jago loves Nutriment, and their 1.4kg chub provides him with 6 meals (3 days) so it is fairly economical, though he is quite small (20kg) so bigger beardies may need a bit more.

Jago also has a sensitive digestive system and cannot tolerate grains, but he has been on raw for 3 or 4 years now and, other than when someone has sneaked him some extraneous treat without checking with me, I can honestly say we haven't had a single pair of "dirty trousers" since we made the change.

The ONLY disadvantage as far as I am concerned is the amount of freezer space required, as buying 26 chubs at a time qualifies for free delivery (otherwise 10, I think) and I would rather spend my money on food than delivery! So Jago now has his own small freezer!Embarassed

So good luck B, and let us know how you get on.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not raw, but I used Naturediet for lucyyorkie...no added fillers, brown rice and vits and, I think, seaweed. It suited her brilliantly and didnt need to be frozen etc. I know, I know, NOT raw, but as close to raw as I wanted to try with her - she was an elderly yorkie when I switched her...

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Judy I think for people who don't want to or can't feed raw then Naturediet or similar products with minimal processing and no fillers ect. are the next best thing. Wink Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks, Jacquie - Naturediet really really turned lucyorkie around, wish we had known about it years ago Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm a bit late, but chiming in. I feed my boys a home made raw diet, been doing it since Winston was 10 months old (wow is it that long already).
I use the complete raw foods when we go away and leave them because it's easier for the petsitter that way.
Feel free to PM me if you have any queries about raw, but it sounds like you are off to a good start. The complete raw mixes are definitely a good place to start, we just find it cheaper making our own

Belinda
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi CJ - nice to hear from you and we're all fine although all getting on in years now! I think it's almost 10 years since you, Gilly, Sue & I all met for the first time in real life at Crufts! Daisy and Jago were puppies and Dave wasn't even on the scene!

Thank you all for your comments and information. We switched the Ds over to raw cold turkey(awful pun) and they wouldn't eat it at first so we mixed it with their Arden Grange for a few days and began to give them 2 meals a day. They were 100% raw by day four and haven't looked back. Both are fine, full of energy, Dave's tummy is okay and poos are smaller - always a good thing. I was a bit worried it might send Daisy [even more] hyper but although she is still crazy, it's no worse than it was.

Naturaw, who also sell Nutriment, are about 15 mins away by car so we'll go & collect food about every 10 days and CJ I agree, the Ds will soon have their own freezer.

I haven't given them bones yet as the weather is awful and they'll need to be outside for that bit, but we will eventually.

Nice to 'speak' to you all and I should get on here more often!

Love
Belinda and the Ds
xx
Belinda
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Update on raw feeding

Well, it lasted about 4 weeks then Daisy went on hunger strike until we gave her Arden Grange again. A couple of days later Dave also decided he wasn't eating raw food either. We ended up giving all the raw food to the lady who looks after them as her lab Toby is happy with raw food.

Daisy now refuses to eat her breakfast without grated cheese on it. I wasn't going to give in to the little madam, but after she didn't eat for 2 days, I caved! We have enough trouble keeping her weight up anyway without her going on hunger strike.

Bloody beardies. Good job we love them!
Gilliebreeze
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Belinda, Dandy is the same!! Loathes raw. He would rather starve!! So because he can't live on Tripe alone we have compromised with high quality wet, Lilys etc and grain free biscuits. Smile x

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic