The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Deadly dog treats View next topic
View previous topic
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I heard this morning about commercial dog treats making dogs ill and even killing them.

I have searched this and the amount of famous names being recalled is horrendous. I don't like commercial treats but friends sometimes bring them to give.

What are your thoughts and comments Beardie family?

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
beardielady
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, you could tell your friends about some treats being suspect so you would not like to risk it. Or, if you really do not want your dogs eating them then you can tell your friends that you no longer give them treats. If that is difficult with well meaning friends, then say that the dogs have sensitive tummies. (I have found this is true with a lot of Beardies anyway, if given something different from their usual food).

If the friends really want to give your dogs something then perhaps you could suggest a toy (one that you know is okay) instead?
Derwendolly
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Zebo only gets the fishy treats which I buy from Fish4dogs.co.uk. He adores both the fishy tiddlers and the sea biscuits - not cheap but pure ingredients and he doesn't get many! Although I have to say that he obviously enjoys them so much he will do anything to please me, just to get a bit of sea biscuit.

Last week, he came in from the garden with something small in his mouth. He kept rattling it around his teeth to the point I got curious. He wouldn't give it to me so I resorted to going to the kitchen to get a bit of sea biscuit - he INSTANTLY dropped his treasure - a stone! He walked out into the garden and I sat down again. One minute later, he returned - rattling something around in his mouth as he sat in front of me. Same thing happened - he wouldn't give it up, I got a bit of sea biscuit, he dropped the treasure - this time it was a snail!! He happily went off into the garden again. And yes, you've guessed, back he came, I got the treat out and he dropped another .....snail!! The patio door was CLOSED. GAME OVER until he comes up with another idea. Rolling Eyes

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mine love sea biscuits too. Telling friends. No .. is not a problem I was wondering what you all thought of the situation. I think I may just keep pieces of chicken in for treats. They don't get them very often from me. Somebody in the village makes homemade doggie treats with ginger, tuna or cheese. May go down that route .

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
beardielady
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can not comment on actual treats because I never give mine any food treats. They only have food at their meal times.
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm with you there... just thought it was a subject worth us discussing.

beardielady
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you mean about the treats making them ill? Have you got a link to the article please? I remember reading, some years ago, how some dogs became ill when swallowing hide chews whole........
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's in the papers today so if you Google it it will come up.

Dorsetangels
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There is so much out there now for treats for our dogs. Antlers were deemed to be the ultimate treat - now they have bad press for dental breakages. I must admit mine love rewards. Take care there is some real junk food out there.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have heard of a lot of problems with the jerky type treats so I never give those. I usually use fish4dogs treats, just bought some of their new ones fiskur Teninger, and also James wellbeloved Crackerjacks and Minijacks. With 7 dogs it does get expensive so the crakerjacks help with keeping the cost down a bit. I usually buy the grain free ones as I prefer not to give a lot of grain.

If you can afford to buy home made treats then that's what I would do, much safer and healthier too.

There have been a lot of dog food (kibble) recalls also, mainly in the States; it's a minefield.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

beardielady wrote:
I can not comment on actual treats because I never give mine any food treats. They only have food at their meal times.

I'm the same have never given treats either, and just have always had their main meals.

You never know what's in this "stuff," could be anything! Shocked

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Derwendolly wrote:
Zebo
Last week, he came in from the garden with something small in his mouth. He kept rattling it around his teeth to the point I got curious. He wouldn't give it to me so I resorted to going to the kitchen to get a bit of sea biscuit - he INSTANTLY dropped his treasure - a stone! He walked out into the garden and I sat down again. One minute later, he returned - rattling something around in his mouth as he sat in front of me. Same thing happened - he wouldn't give it up, I got a bit of sea biscuit, he dropped the treasure - this time it was a snail!! He happily went off into the garden again. And yes, you've guessed, back he came, I got the treat out and he dropped another .....snail!! The patio door was CLOSED. GAME OVER until he comes up with another idea. Rolling Eyes

Ho ho. I knew he had a Millie look about him Very Happy

She is an expert manipulator. She can smell pocket treats a mile off; trots over to said pocket and looks beguilingly at pocket owner. I sometimes have to be pretty quick to say, "I'd rather you didn't". Some people are not pleased and she certainly isn't, slopes off giving me me that "old fashioned " look over one shoulder. Rolling Eyes

Score: Mum 1 Millie 0

But there will always be a next time. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Joy, I am so pleased to know that I am not the only one being conned! Smile

He performs this trick EVERY day but is now choosing items to pinch that he knows are 'off limits' and will certainly get a reaction from me. It has to be seen, the antics he goes through to make sure I am aware what he has got. Even when he is outside and the patio door is closed, he comes up to glass and 'grins' at me to display his treasure!!!

At this moment, he is racing around the bungalow, swinging two, linked together, plastic bottles in all directions, as well as trying to either pinch, or pounce on a squeaky toy! He is zooming around like a mad man!!!!!! AND we have just had a long walk off the lead with him paddling in the river.

I was hoping to join in one of the organised Beardie walks but there is no way I can do that until he calms down a bit - we would never get past the start before I would be politely asked to go home. Very Happy Very Happy

The title of this thread takes on a whole new meaning!!

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing I am liking the sound of this Zebo very much!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic