The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Three-year old Beardie with Cushing's View next topic
View previous topic
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A good friend of mine has a lovely female Beardie, Pipa, only 3 and a half years old, who was diagnosed yesterday with Cushing's syndrome, after my friend took her to the vet's because Pipa had been drinking large amounts of water and wetting herself several times a day without even noticing it for the past few days. The vet hesitated between Cushing's and diabetes and performed the usual blood tests - it is definitely Cushing's. You can imagine my friend's shock... She searched the web for more information about this disease, and to her horror and distress, found out in several articles that the average life expectancy from the time the disease is discovered is estimated at 1.7 years. This is just too awful to accept, as you can imagine, especially considering how young Pipa is...

Are there any people here who have had dogs with Cushing's who lived longer than that short time (with an acceptable quality of life, of course), so that I can give some comfort to my friend? I have already told her about Belinda Steer's Beardie who lived much longer than that.

Joybells
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Nina, that is such awful news, your friend must be heartbroken.

I do feel so sad for her, still such a baby. I do hope that she has more years of quality life.

Please pass on to your friend my best wishes.
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you so much, Joy, I know my friend Muriel will be touched by your sympathy.

What worries me, in addition to the sadness I feel for Muriel and her Pipa, is how many sick Beardies there are, one seems to hear about new ones everyday or so, and with really serious diseases which didn't seem to affect this breed before. Also Beardies are getting ill when they are younger and younger... The vet who examined Pipa yesterday was surprised to find Cushing's in such a young dog. Crying or Very sad

Dorsetangels
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Nina just looking at my girl I would be heartbroken. Please give our love to your friend. Jo Tucker seems to be the person every turns to for advice. I dont know her contact details but Belinda would have them I am sure.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh yes, Barbara, thank you for reminding me of Jo Tucker! I think I have her email address somewhere, and will tell my friend to contact her (I can help her with the language!).

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Nina, such sad news. Please pass on all our sympathy?

Dont forget, there are a lot lot lot of healthy Beardies out there, but we hear more about the ones who have problems because their people are looking for information and support...xxx

Here is something I found, it was posted 4 days ago on the website below this quote :

Hello, My dog Murphy was diagnosed with Cushings disease 7 years ago, she is now 13yrs old. I was told she would have 24 months after she was diagnosed. More people are looking for treatments and networking with other pet owners when it comes to Cushings. Just like many diseases in dogs, cats and people the more we learn the more we can help.
http://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/life-expectancy-for-dogs-with-cushings-disease

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Nina such a sad time for your friend how awful to have that diagnosis in such a young dog. I can't help with the Cushings as the only cases I know about have been older dogs and it's hard to know how long they would have been expected to live anyway. It's a horrible disease and I really feel for your friend please also pass my best wishes to her, I lost my first beardie at only 3 years old so can empathise. That is very young for cushings are they absolutely sure?

As for beardies getting sick I do believe this isn't just confined to beardies there seems to be an awful lot of unhealthy dogs in all breeds these days I think it must be a lot to do with lifestyle, diet, chemicals etc. as much as genetics. Although we do know beardies have a very restricted gene pool this is also predominant in a lot of other animals, I'm thinking rare breeds like White park cattle for instance, which seem to continue to be healthy even though they came from a very limited stock in the first place.

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is Jo Tucker's phone number: 020 8368 9148 She will be able to help a lot.

Are they sure it is Cushing's? Did they do the ACTH or the Dexamethasone test?

I am quite surprised (and shocked) at the quickness of it - a lot of the time the symptoms will be there for quite a while (including ravenous appetite, pot belly) but it is unable to be confirmed until things are quite bad.

Anyway Jo will help, she is a lovely lady and very knowledgeable.
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you so much, Judy, Jacquie and Beardielady, for your comments and info.

I don't really know which tests were carried out yesterday on Pipa to determine what her problem is, but the vet told my friend that it is a good thing she has been diagnosed at the very beginning of the disease, while there weren't too many problems yet (like thinning fur or pot belly). Pipa immediately started her initial treatment of Vetoryl caps and already today she has practically stopped wetting herself and hasn't drunk half as much water as she did for the past few days. Let's see how things progress. My friend and her husband have decided to take one day after the other and try not to worry too much about the predicted 1.7 years' life expectancy. Regarding this, Jacquie, your comment about older dogs usually getting this disease makes sense, who knows how long they would have lived without Cushing's anyway?...

Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As a follow-up to the above, does anyone know of a website selling medicines for dogs? My friend Muriel bought the Vetory caps for her Pipa on a website called Medicanimal (the French branch of that website) as it was cheaper than buying it from her vet's or in a pharmacy (this medicine is really expensive), but very recently she got an email from Medicanimal saying that they were sorry but from now on they couldn't supply medicines any more...

I have found this website (an English one) which sells it:

https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/

Does anyone know it? Is it reliable?

Thank you for any help/advice!

DoubleTrouble
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nina07 wrote:

I have found this website (an English one) which sells it:

https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/

Does anyone know it? Is it reliable?

Thank you for any help/advice!

I use 'petdrugsonline' quite often for Dougall's drugs, and everything has been fine. Once we had to get a prescription rewritten as they wanted the specific brand & type rather than just the generic name. The prescription can now be scanned and uploaded direct to them now, making it much easier.

Another online one I have used is Vet UK which will also deliver to France.

Hope she can get something sorted.

Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Excellent, thank you so much, Helen, I will let my friend know!

Devon-Maid
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Nina - we use a firm called Animed https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/home/deliveries_and_returns and they sell the Vetory capsules in various strengths and it looks like they deliver to France. I have used them for the last 3 years for medication for cushings for my 32 year old thoroughbred and they have always been reliable.

I noticed that these capsules require a prescription so its a good idea to check with each company you try to make sure that a French prescription is in order.

Gilly

GILLY ,MARK, MACKENZIE AND TALI
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you very much, Gillie, it's good to have 2 websites to choose from and compare prices, service, etc.

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The websites already mentioned are all very good, another one to have a look at is Viovet, their prices are usually lower than the others. From a quick look they seem to do international deliveries.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Many thanks to you too, Jacquie. My friend has finally chosen to order her Vetoryl caps from www.petdrugsonline.co.uk and she has asked me to pass on a big thank you to Helen, whom she remembers very well from the time she, Peter and their 2 gorgeous boys joined our French Beardie weekend 2 years ago, and also to Jacquie and Gillie for their recommendations. She is keeping them too in case she needs an alternative to Pet drugs online. The Beardie lover community is great! Very Happy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic