The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Lepto4 vaccination View next topic
View previous topic
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Here we have recently heard of something called Vacci-Check, which is a test vets can do to see if our dogs still carry enough protection against some of the diseases against which they are vaccinated. However, only a small number of vets are aware that it exists, for the moment (mine wasn't and was quite interested to make investigations when I told her about it a few weeks ago). And the major problem is that, according to my vet, you can't inject only 1 or 2 vaccines if the test reveals that your dog only needs those, apparently they only come in the well-known "mixes", Lepto2 or Lepto4... Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes we have that over here Nina but as you say not a lot of vets are prepared to take it up. I mentioned it to my vet but she didn't think it would be reliable enough Rolling Eyes I use titre testing for my dogs but it isn't an in house test and is a lot more expensive than the vaccicheck. Vaccicheck is an in house test that can be done in 20 minutes and is a lot cheaper.

It is so annoying that the vaccine manufacturers don't do more seperate vaccines, I believe you can only get Parvo and Lepto as seperate vaccines but I'm not sure that all vets stock the parvo alone anyway as I know mine doesn't. Evil or Very Mad

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Our puppy was given the first Lepto4 vaccination, but during the month wait until the second one was due I read lots of bad things about it and so (much to the disgust of my vet) refused the second one.

I remember when this was brought in and our last dog had it a couple of times, trouble is that you trust vets implicitly with your dog's health. Our vet just said that it was replacing the Lepto2 vaccination and had to be done in two stages, so to bring him back in four weeks and the one payment covered both injections. I never really used to question these things - dogs always went for annual boosters, end of.

I had never really looked into the whole vaccine thing before, but on reading a lot about it, do now think we over-vaccinate tremendously.

I know they have changed the core vaccines to every three years, so does that mean that now my pup has had his initial injections (and bearing in mind that he will not be having Lepto4) that I don't need to take him back for three years?

I have heard of titer testing, but do all vets carry this out on request?

It is all very worrying, we try to do our best and hope that professionals will do the same.
Derwendolly
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I was fortunate as my vet only offers Lepto 2, so that's what I accepted for little Zebo. He was fine, but when I do the booster one I have not checked, but it won't be Lepto4.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

mel wrote:
Our puppy was given the first Lepto4 vaccination, but during the month wait until the second one was due I read lots of bad things about it and so (much to the disgust of my vet) refused the second one.

I remember when this was brought in and our last dog had it a couple of times, trouble is that you trust vets implicitly with your dog's health. Our vet just said that it was replacing the Lepto2 vaccination and had to be done in two stages, so to bring him back in four weeks and the one payment covered both injections. I never really used to question these things - dogs always went for annual boosters, end of.

I had never really looked into the whole vaccine thing before, but on reading a lot about it, do now think we over-vaccinate tremendously.

I know they have changed the core vaccines to every three years, so does that mean that now my pup has had his initial injections (and bearing in mind that he will not be having Lepto4) that I don't need to take him back for three years?

I have heard of titer testing, but do all vets carry this out on request?

It is all very worrying, we try to do our best and hope that professionals will do the same.

The vaccines for the three core diseases last, probably, for life so don't actually need boosting at all. Lepto and Kennel cough are short lived vaccines and not very effective anyway. Any vet should be prepared to offer titre testing if you ask, but be aware that some charge exorbitant prices, I think to put you off doing it! There is now an in house testing system called vaccicheck which is cheap and can be done while you wait, the problem is finding a practice that uses it!

http://www.petwelfarealliance.org/vaccicheck.html

Nowadays with my pups I give the initial vaccine at 10 weeks using Nobivac which you only need one shot of if given at or after 10 weeks. When the first booster is due at 14 months I titre test to make sure the vaccine has actually taken. So far with, I think 7 pups now, none have needed that booster. After that I titre around every three years or so just to check for circulating antibodies, again so far none have needed a booster for those three core diseases. The oldest I have titred is nine years but I have two 14 year olds who have never been titred and never had a booster either, one because she reacted to her puppy vaccine and couldn't be revaccinated anyway.

I was talking to my vet last week and she said that a vet who is very high up in the veterinary world has just written in the veterinary record about overvaccination in cats and how it causes a lot more problems than just tumours at the vaccination site. I think some vets are beginning to realise the harm they are doing by overvaccinating.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic