The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Valerie & Valentine - Happy June 2014 update View next topic
View previous topic
Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="silent warrior"]Thank you Pam but I think the credit is really down to the dogs who despite all the traumas they endure, still have the capacity to trust again and to believe in a better future.

Yes Elaine, but it also takes a person who in turn understands the dog and knows how it feels. You do!

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Threebeards wrote:
silent warrior wrote:
Thank you Pam but I think the credit is really down to the dogs who despite all the traumas they endure, still have the capacity to trust again and to believe in a better future.

Yes Elaine, but it also takes a person who in turn understands the dog and knows how it feels. You do!

Plus love, dedication, love, kindness, love, endless patience, love, compassion - oh, and did I mention love? Well done Elaine - I know you don't want thanks, and seeing healthy, happy well-adjusted dogs is reward enough for you, but most of us couldn't do what you do, so a huge THANK YOU.

And a huge thank you to you, too, Belinda - what a lovely update, so wonderful to see Valentine settled in his new forever home and poor, damaged Valerie safe, loved, and learning to trust again, even if it is only one person at the moment. Give her time - it's only been 15 months after all and just look how far she has come.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pam and CJ

No words - just xxxxxxxx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for a lovely heartwarming update Belinda - can't believe Valerie's the same dog, she looks so happy.

Mary
x

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I hope Belinda doesn't mind but there have been some news about our Valerie these last few days. I have copied some bits from facebook for those who are not on it. I always think of our Sue when I hear anything about her as she supported Valerie with a small donation every month. This poor girl was given so much love after coming out on the pound and knowing her baby has a wonderful home we can't give up on her yet.
I am not sure how well you will see this but because of photobucket all pictures have gone so here are some I have copied of how Valerie was when found in the pound with Valentine .

Valerie many months later, such a smile on her face

This was from Belinda on the 3rd of October

Valerie. In Romania. We think she is losing her fight for life today. So many hearts around the world breaking. I’ve never met her but she’s been part of my life for so long she feels like mine.
My heart aches for Alex and Lorena who love her and care for her when no one else could or would.

Belinda Steer. This year Alexandru finally achieved his ambition of building a cabin in Valerie’s compound and moved his whole life so he could be with her. He is still the only person who can touch and stroke her. She adores him. Val has mammary cancers which have spread and she is now very weak. Being Valerie she would not cope with being taken to the vets and would have to be sedated for test and exams and that seems unkind. So she is with Alex in his cabin. He carried her outside today for some sunshine
He fears the worst. So do I. The only good thing is that she is with Alex, her love and saviour. And all of us are thinking of her and shedding tears for a little stray who was loved by no one til I saw that photo of her in the pound with her baby over 4 years ago.
Valerie today
https://www.facebook.com/groups/hope4paws.timisoara/permalink/1928224867447108/
Belinda Steer Update from vets:
“OK! It was a long and exhausting day...
What did we found out...
We started with a chest X-ray... the young vet said that the lungs are certainly modified and that there is suspicion of metastasis.
We did then an abdominal X-ray for foreign body... wondering why she does not eat at all. Her stomach and intestines are evidently empty and no signs of any foreign body.
Then, the vet that owns the clinic (He is not here now) said that he would like a second chest X-ray (dorsoventral). The suspicion of lung cancer remains but it's worth a try as I'm not convinced (see my thoughts below).
After that we took the blood sample for the blood panel.
Lorena said that we should make an ultrasound for the pyometra. She does not have pyometra. Her pancreas and liver looked normally. The bladder also.She has some bridges on her spine.
The blood panel revealed that she is anemic, has an inflammatory disease and a terrible infection. Even after 3 days of antibiotic her Lymphocites are almost double than the upper limit of the range.
The biochemistry of the blood shows that she might have a problem with her kidneys but nothing dramatic for her age.
Last but not least she has both microfilariae and adult heart worms. She does not have any fever.
We decided to leave her there over the nigh on a perfusion (and almost same medication I gave her as they don't hold injectable Tramadol but same anti inflammatory and antibiotic injectable though). She was very brave on our route to the vet and also there. She walked on her all four legs almost all the time. Even got almost by herself in the cage. She did not like the hair clipper sound though. When we put her in the cage she drank a lot of water.
So, we don't have a definitive diagnostic as there is more than one problem.
My thoughts are that yes, she has tumors on both of her mammary gland chains and they grew lately. Yes, she has heart worms and maybe for a long time as her breathing was shallow and rapid for years. This is also the cause of her coughing. The heart that is not very enlarged pushes against the lungs.
A few days before she got sick she sat in the cold rain getting soaked. She might have pneumonia. And her breathing and coughing worsened. As for her walking and her inability to stand... At her age, spending all winters outside, and her vertebrae bridging (parrot beaks)... I'm sure she has arthritis.
How else can we explain that after two nights with an electric pillow in her doggie house and 3-4 days of antibiotics (enrofloxacin), anti inflammatory (meloxicam) and a strong pain killer (Tramadol) she got better and walked much-much more than when she got sick and recumbent and lethargic?
We are worried by the fact that she hates food. Sad
A female bobtail has between 27 to 36kg. She weights now 21.7kg. So she lost at least 10kg.
Finger crossed and please, if you can help please do as we'll have a shock tomorrow when we'll see the vet bill.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I have asked if AIHA is a possibility. And also that I have some donations to seem ( thankyou Denise and Anne. )
Like · Reply · 19 hours ago

Belinda Steer The Above pics show what love can do.
Valerie is ill, if anyone can donate to her vet bills I’d be so grateful.
My Paypal is [email protected]
Please help if you can.
Like · Reply · 13 hrs

Any donations large or small can help with this poor girl, thank you xxx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Poor Valerie. I hope she can be treated Sad I saw Belinda's posts on fb.

Beardie Mom
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

For everyone who doesn't see Facebook ..Valerie has crossed over the bridge and will no doubt be welcomed by Our Sue

maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So very very sad Crying or Very sad
Sleep tight Valerie xx

Heidiwuff
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Poor girl. Run free Valerie xx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Aw, run softly and free, Valerie

Thanks for letting us know, Jill xx

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Saw on FB. I feel for the two lovely people who dedicated themselves to her and must feel so empty. Thank God for good hearts.

Run free little girl you were loved xx

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
Scruffymuffins
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Aw so sad, run free Valerie.xx Crying or Very sad
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So sad, run free over the Bridge Valerie Crying or Very sad Thanks for letting us know Jill.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Joybells
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

sorry, posted twice
Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life