The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Mental health View next topic
View previous topic
snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi

I just wanted to let you know that since May I joined the gym and have been working out 4 days a week. I have not been to the gym since my early 20ís since I stopped bodybuilding and it felt good to be back. I have lost 2 stone but need to lose another 4 maybe.

I have just got back from a family holiday in Cornwall and I have been surfing again which felt so good. This time I was teaching my daughter which was great. I forgot just how peaceful it was paddling out and just sitting out there watching the world go by and then a big wave comes and flattens you. Very Happy

Whenever I am in Cornwall my ocd becomes less of a problem, it always has for some reason. Once I feel better it would be lovely to live in Cornwall again if I could make a living from working with dogs.

I still have my up and down days and the old ocd is always there but I am doing more and feeling more positive which is good.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Chris, that is fantastic - well done you! Glad you had some good time down in Cornwall. I reckon you could make a living down there, working with dogs, but that is just off the top of my head. Smile

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good for you, Chris!

And yes, I am convinced that some places, for one reason or another, are better for us than others. Call that good vibrations or energy, or whatever you want, but I've seen it happen lots of times. Just one example: a woman I know, who has been suffering from multiple sclerosis for years, moved to the Ardeche mountains about 15 years ago. Since then, although of course she isn't cured, her condition has greatly improved. She is now 70 years old and looks much younger. So... could Cornwall be THE healing place for you?...

snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Judy and Nina,

I am glad the lady you know is better since moving to the Ardeche mountains Nina. Cornwall defiantly has something that makes me less stressed and happier inside, energy is a good way of describing it. The relaxed lifestyle suits me and the scenery makes me feel so good. All my interests are there as I love walking on the moors, coastal paths and just being near the sea is so refreshing.

I have some good business ideas related to dogs which would cater for local residents and holiday makers, something very different and there would be nowhere else like it but you often need money to start adventures like this, may be start small and build up would be the way to go. Itís something to think about, or dream about. Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Chris I am full of admiration for your return to the gym. My membership ended a month or so ago and as it was expensive even with a discount for age I haven't renewed - yet ... may do when my state pension finally resolves itself (bureaucracy is alive and well). Two stones - fantastic! Well done!

Mary

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

All sounds good Chris Very Happy Cornwall is a beautiful place I'm not surprised you feel good there, would love to live there myself. As regards the business idea, yes good to start small and build it up. Wink Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would love somewhere to take the girls where they could have fun doing agility walks - that would be fab.
With a coffee shop for the hmans with cake of course....

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Mary and Jacquie.

Defiantly Barbara, there would have to be a coffee shop selling cakes and cream teas, no question about that one. Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When working with dogs that have a behavioural problem I always make sure the dog is receiving enough exercise, no matter how big or small the dogs is. Itís the most basic need of a dog and I think if we canít meet this need then how can we expect a dog to meet our needs.

I noticed that after 4 weeks of working out my mood changed for the better and I wanted to do more. As itís such a long time since I did any weights or cardio work except for walking I had forgotten how it made me feel. I am convinced it has increased my serotonin levels naturally and this has made me feel better.

Its hard with depression as sometimes I have not been able to motivate myself but now by going to the gym things are better for me and I feel more positive about the future. Looking back and I dont know if this is a coincidence but when I was bodybuilding my mental health problems never effected my day to day life, it was only when I stopped all exercise they became more of a problem. Although I walk a lot my training now is much more intense.

Itís good that I can see the positive effects this has had on myself and this reinforces to me how important the right amount of exercise is for our dogs.

Thanks

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thats so good you are enjoying the gym. Keep up the good work. x

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

From my own experience, the less you do and the less you feel like doing... So, now that you have started the gym again, don't stop!!!! Wink

Scruffymuffins
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So g;ad to hear that you are feeling better Chris Very Happy Big Cornwall fan myself, it's good for the soul down there Very Happy
snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scruffymuffins wrote:
So g;ad to hear that you are feeling better Chris Very Happy Big Cornwall fan myself, it's good for the soul down there Very Happy

Thank you Sandy, I hope you are feeing better too.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am sorry I have not posted on this thread for some time. I have been reading through my posts and I can see how vulnerable I was back in March 2016. I was in such a distressed state that my therapist wanted me to be referred back to her which I was and that was in June 2016,I am still waiting.

It has took me some time but I am feeling so much better and more like my old self. I totally lost all my confidence in many things in life
but this is coming back and it feels really good. I am so much more positive about life and enjoy doing things once again.

I have also been excepted onto three MSc courses which I was hoping to start one this September but I am not really keen on getting a loan at the moment.

I do hope that everyone else who suffers from mental health problems and shared their lives with us all are also doing well in your own lives and things are good for you.

Thank you.

Last edited by snowleopard on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:34 am; edited 4 times in total
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done Chris. Wishing you all the best for the future x

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great to hear from you Chris, and that things are better for you...nice to hear you positive and strong. All the animals you help benefit from your expertise and compassion Smile

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you Max and Judy for your posts, it is very kind of you.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read about my mental health problems on the forum and to those who posted their support and best wishes to me. When I was feeling so low it was comforting to know that there were so many people on the forum wishing me well and this encouraged me to get better, as did the support I received from across the beardie world from the people who knew me.

You can feel lonely and isolated when you have a mental health illness even with your family around you and its very easy to become withdrawn from life and society but this only hinders your recovery. When someone offers you a big hug like my family did and everyone on the FBC then you have to embrace that and use that love to help yourself.

Thank you.

xxx

Last edited by snowleopard on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's good that things are moving in the right direction. Well done Chris.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you Jacquie.

xxx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Chris you are a fantastic person and contributed so much to others.
Take care of yourself. I really appreciated when you took time out to visit us here. Look forward to the next time. x

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you Barbara thatís lovely of you to say and means a lot to me.

It was lovely to meet you and the family, wish it could have been for longer. I will let you know if I am coming down to Dorset again, hopefully it will be soon.

Thank you

xxx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Look forward to it Chris. x

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic