The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 vaccinations and titre testing View next topic
View previous topic
freddyteddy
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi.....
Can any one tell me how not vaccinating yearly (after puppy vaccinations ) but titre testing affects insurance and boarding kennels (from experiences they have had ) please
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

freddyteddy wrote:
Hi.....
Can any one tell me how not vaccinating yearly (after puppy vaccinations ) but titre testing affects insurance and boarding kennels (from experiences they have had ) please

I do this and the insurance is fine but they don't then cover for the diseases you could have vaccinated against (even though you have and can prove by titre Rolling Eyes ). You would have to check your companies policy though. I don't use boarding kennels but from what I have heard they vary, some will accept titres and others not, which seems daft as a titre proves immunity when a vaccination does not! Just because a dog has been vaccinated doesn't mean it has responded and built immunity Rolling Eyes Glad you are thinking of not overvaccinating Very Happy

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have heard a few people mention titre testing.

Do all vets do this if asked? Also, is it expensive?
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I hadn't thought about insurance, I must say. But then, if our dogs are still protected even if they don't have their annual booster jabs, then it doesn't matter, does it, as they shouldn't catch any of the diseases concerned...

Later this morning I have an appointment with my vet as Foxie and Miss You are due to have their yearly jabs. On my last visit, I had asked my vet to enquire about VacciCheck as she had never heard of it and she promised she would. Let's see what she has been able to do and if she has it available. Anyway, whatever her reply, this year I intend to have my dogs only protected against leptospirosis as the vaccine has indeed a short effect and we are quite exposed to that disease in the countryside, but I definitely don't want that L4 "cocktail" to be injected in them ever again. I will ask for rabies jabs later this year as I'm planning a trip to Wales next spring, but that should be all.

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nina07 wrote:
I hadn't thought about insurance, I must say. But then, if our dogs are still protected even if they don't have their annual booster jabs, then it doesn't matter, does it, as they shouldn't catch any of the diseases concerned...

Later this morning I have an appointment with my vet as Foxie and Miss You are due to have their yearly jabs. On my last visit, I had asked my vet to enquire about VacciCheck as she had never heard of it and she promised she would. Let's see what she has been able to do and if she has it available. Anyway, whatever her reply, this year I intend to have my dogs only protected against leptospirosis as the vaccine has indeed a short effect and we are quite exposed to that disease in the countryside, but I definitely don't want that L4 "cocktail" to be injected in them ever again. I will ask for rabies jabs later this year as I'm planning a trip to Wales next spring, but that should be all.

That's exactly right Nina as regards the protection from disease. Make sure you ask for lepto2 when you have that done as it seems to me, at least in the UK, most vets are now only using Lepto4. Evil or Very Mad

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

mel wrote:
I have heard a few people mention titre testing.

Do all vets do this if asked? Also, is it expensive?

Any vet can get it done for you if you ask, prices will vary as, I think, some vets charge a lot just to put you off doing it! My vets now use their own (CVS) lab for titre testing but the charge is twice as much as Glasgow where I have always had it done, so I have insisted that the blood be sent to Glasgow. Wink Glasgow are the cheapest as far as I know. You are the client so should be able to say where the test is done IMO.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We're back from the clinic and had an interesting and frank discussion, my vet and I, as usual - I trust and value her opinions as she is very open and honest about eveything. We agreed to only have the lepto jab. Unfortunately the only one available there now is the (in)famous L4, so that is what my 2 girls had. I had given them a preventative homeopathic treatment as usual (1 dose of Thuya 9CH in the evening before the jab, and 1 dose of Silicea 9CH in the morning before going to the clinic), it is designed to avoid any side effects of the vaccine. Anyway, even if they have had the L4, at least it hasn't been mixed to a heavy "cocktail" of other vaccines, which adds greatly to the risk of problems and adverse reactions.

In France, vets do not get titre testing done (I discussed it with my vet this morning too), and mine suggests that I contact a lab in the UK which does it and ask them if it is possible at all to send them blood samples by post from France, and how much all that would cost. If at all feasible, my vet would be prepared to take blood samples from Foxie and Miss You and we would sent them there. So... Jackie, would it be possible for you to let me have a phone no. and/or an Email address for the lab your vet uses? Thanks in advance!

Robert
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

freddyteddy wrote:
Hi.....

A very interesting point. I am just about to take out insurance for Hobbes. Following lots of discussion with his breeder, we're also following this regime of titre testing before any further vaccinations. He was vaccinated last night and will be back to the vets for testing later.... But rather that asking the insurance company for their views.... and providing them an opportunity to "ramp up" premiums or list lots of additional exemptions..... I have asked our breeder if she can offer any guidance on this matter.

I will post her response when I receive it....

BTW Hobbes is going to need lots of "little and often" car runs as he was a very sick and unhappy boy, up-chucking both on the ride to the Vets and on the return run.. poor little chap.

Robert

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it is very wise not to mention titre tests etc to the insurance company - I'm sure they would increase premiums, as you say! Very Happy

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nina I always ask the vet to send blood samples to the University of Glasgow as I trust them and they are cheaper than the one the vets use. I have a telephone no. and email from the report they sent (which went to the vet but I asked for a print out Wink ) email: [email protected]
telephone: +44 (0)141 330 5777
Here is the link to the form you will need to fill in and send with the sample:
https://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_196328_en.pdf

It shouldn't cost you much more than it would me as I pay the test fee plus the vet for taking and preparing the sample, all the extra I think you would pay would be the postage to send it to Glasgow.

Hope you are able to sort it, you probably will need your vet to contact them as I don't know if they will deal direct with the public.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Robert wrote:
freddyteddy wrote:
Hi.....

A very interesting point. I am just about to take out insurance for Hobbes. Following lots of discussion with his breeder, we're also following this regime of titre testing before any further vaccinations. He was vaccinated last night and will be back to the vets for testing later.... But rather that asking the insurance company for their views.... and providing them an opportunity to "ramp up" premiums or list lots of additional exemptions..... I have asked our breeder if she can offer any guidance on this matter.

I will post her response when I receive it....

BTW Hobbes is going to need lots of "little and often" car runs as he was a very sick and unhappy boy, up-chucking both on the ride to the Vets and on the return run.. poor little chap.

Robert

Robert you don't really need to test until the first booster is due at 14 months to see if a booster is required.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you ever so much for all the info, Jacquie! I am going to see my vet next week again, and I'll take it all to her to discuss what the best next move is.

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Think many boarding kennels wont accept unvaccinated dogs...I havent had any experience myself, but from what friends have said, that is often the case.

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

judy g wrote:
Think many boarding kennels wont accept unvaccinated dogs...I havent had any experience myself, but from what friends have said, that is often the case.

Ahh but Judy they are vaccinated, just not OVERVACCINATED Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Shocked Smile

Robert
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[/quote]

Robert you don't really need to test until the first booster is due at 14 months to see if a booster is required.

[/quote]

Thanks... I understand that. But would be interested to hear others experiences around the insurance issue, as I am in the process of reviewing insurance quotes with a view to taking one out for Hobbes. I don't want to end up with and insurance that the company can invalidate as a result of not re-vaccinating because of good titre test results. It that makes sense??

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Absolutely Robert Very Happy I assume you can read policy before actually commiting?

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have one boy with Addisons and have him titred and never had any issues with his insurers.

I have also used a licensed home boarder who was happy with titre tested dogs. I think many UK licensing authoriteis are now become more aware, our area used to insist on a vaccination cerificate but relaxed to include titres a couple of years ago.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ajm wrote:
I have one boy with Addisons and have him titred and never had any issues with his insurers.

I have also used a licensed home boarder who was happy with titre tested dogs. I think many UK licensing authoriteis are now become more aware, our area used to insist on a vaccination cerificate but relaxed to include titres a couple of years ago.

That's good to know, perhaps at last the word is getting out. Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lucky you! I think the UK is far more advanced than we are in France regarding titre testing. It's practically unheard of here, all I know about it is what I've been able to read on this website and my subsequent searches on the web. I can't imagine any kennels, dog clubs or other similar places in this country accepting titre testing certificates instead of the usual vaccination proofs... Crying or Very sad

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nina07 wrote:
Lucky you! I think the UK is far more advanced than we are in France regarding titre testing. It's practically unheard of here, all I know about it is what I've been able to read on this website and my subsequent searches on the web. I can't imagine any kennels, dog clubs or other similar places in this country accepting titre testing certificates instead of the usual vaccination proofs... Crying or Very sad

It's just so silly though as vaccinating a dog doesn't necessarily mean they are protected, as some dogs are non responders and wont have any protection at all and no way of knowing without a titre test Sad Whereas if there are circulating antibodies proven by Titre then you KNOW the dog is protected and capable of mounting a response to the disease. Evil or Very Mad

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You are so right, Jacquie! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Confused Evil or Very Mad yerbut.....not nearly so good for the drug companies' sales..... Rolling Eyes

Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Exactly! Evil or Very Mad

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

..........oh, and the vets............ Confused