The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Fireworks! View next topic
View previous topic
Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well Folks......It's the night..... tonight.... bangs going off again!

Hope you're all prepared for all the stress some of our loved babies are going to go though. Just stay calm yourselves, and it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Hope it goes well.xxxx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I hope everyone has survived the shock of those terrible fireworks last night. Shocked

Joybells
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We had a nightmare evening. I had decided to walk Millie really early, at 5, and just as we got back they started. It was not too bad for a while and the loud tv and some games kept her fairly calm until about 8, then all hell broke loose.

The new activity centre, which is about 100 metres away had obviously organised a BIG display. I have never heard such a noise, it sounded like a war zone, almost continuous flashes and great, cracking bangs. Poor Millie was in a right state. It wasn't until after 11 that we dared go out for the last time.

Considering that one of their aims is to teach people to respect the use of our countryside I am furious. It is a non profit making centre so they don't even have the excuse of fundraising for essential equipment which is used by our local primary school. It does tremendous damage to the poor horses stabled near here.
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes Joy, in addition to our dogs, whose caring owners try to protect them from the noise of the fireworks, I usually think of horses who stay in meadows, knowing how nervous they can be, they must be absolutely terrified, with nowhere to go for shelter... Shocked Crying or Very sad

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Of couse if the horses are in stables it can be even worse if they panic. We have your problem Joy with our local pub, they always have a huge display and yes, it does sound like a war zone Shocked We have always had to take all the dogs away while it lasts as they explode over our garden! It takes me ages to scour the garden afterwards picking up all the debris. This year due to 'unforseen circumstances' there is no display which is a mixed blessing as now I wonder if locals will be letting more off and that will be random so no escape. Evil or Very Mad

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was amazed last night, we expected Baillie to be his usual pannick, nervous barking self but even though all hell was breaking out with the booming fireworks he wasn't bothered at all. Maybe I should get his hearing tested as he usually very sensitive to noise.

Sorry Millie was upset by it Joy, maybe next year we should take then up to the Highlands of Scotland for some peace and quite.x

It will be another awful night again for the poor animals.

Take care sending hugs x

They just put nightlights on to show us they care.
Derwendolly
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You will all have to come and stay with me! We didn't get a single one. Very Happy Very Happy Laughing

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They should just get rid of the whole thing. Twisted Evil Even the big public displays. They are worse - horses can do themselves terrible damage, running into fences, or trying to jump them.

What SHOULD happen is to STOP the sale of them altogether!!!! Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

GRRRRRRR!

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Derwendolly wrote:
You will all have to come and stay with me! We didn't get a single one. Very Happy Very Happy Laughing

Oooh you are lucky Very Happy We had a few tonight and of course it had to be just when I was letting the dogs out for a wee after their dinner Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil All quiet now Cool

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We live half a mile out of the village but have heard fireworks the last two evenings - mainly early on thankfully. Mackenzie is fine as are the cats, but Tali is not happy about the bangs. At the stables we have a couple who don't like fireworks and are stabled but the others including my old 32 year old thoroughbred are turned out and are happier out than in.

Hopefully all will be peaceful tomorrow night.

xxx

GILLY ,MARK, MACKENZIE AND TALI
Derwendolly
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jacquietwig wrote:
Derwendolly wrote:

Oooh you are lucky Very Happy We had a few tonight and of course it had to be just when I was letting the dogs out for a wee after their dinner Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil All quiet now Cool

I am so glad it has finished over with you as we are coming that way for a few days starting on Tuesday. Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It was all quiet up at ours joy a few stray fireworks in the distance but no one nearby. even the pub didn’t have any as they have caravaners with dogs and a stable yard behind them.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Only trouble is, people stock up with them, and we end up getting them through the year. That's why they should be banned from sale. Confused

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh dear Pam, that is even worse. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

We still have more days to go, local primary school is having one on Sunday, Nov 12th. Fund raising again Exclamation Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
beardielady
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Some years ago, a pet owner could close the windows, draw the curtains and turn up the tv or radio and would hardly hear the fireworks and neither would their pets. But then much louder fireworks – continuous, very loud explosive ones, started being used. I think it is these louder ones (plus the extended use of fireworks) that is creating the most problems with our pets.

I do not think we have any chance of fireworks being banned. There have been so many petitions over the years that have just been ignored. But perhaps we need to change tactics and petition/persuade people to buy/sell low noise fireworks or at least reduced decibel ones that used to be the norm. Apparently the noise from a new car in the UK must not be above 74 decibels. But the limit for fireworks is 120 decibels!!

Silent fireworks seem like a great idea. However I can see how silent ones might not appeal to some people. Therefore a compromise of low noise ones might be the way forward. I had a very quick look online and here is a site that seems to have lower noise ones so they are available.

https://www.fireworkscrazy.co.uk/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=23&cat=Low+Noise+Fireworks
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Joy....poor Moo..and you....xx

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Beardielady, that would be a good compromise if they were a much lower decibel altogether. More display, less bang Smile

beardielady
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Exactly, maxnick. I have seen some good displays on tv with classical music playing instead of loud bangs, which could be an idea for public displays. Not sure how we can convince Joe Public to have quieter fireworks though….and then there are the yobs who could not care less about anyone or their pets. Still, it would be a start – better than doing nothing.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic