The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Lead pulling View next topic
View previous topic
Heidiwuff
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lovely pic of Clyde and Ellie, Stephen. They're gorgeous.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What a fab photo, two gorgeous Beardies on a beautiful Scottish isle!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Joybells
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

judy g wrote:
Shocked wowie....her head and ears look like my late Betsy's! wowie....lovely girlie Smile

Well, now Judy, it is interesting that you should day that; my first thought when I saw the photos was. "Oh lordy, another Millie"; not necessarily in looks but wow, is if that isn't a Millie attitude I don't know what is. Shocked ... Laughing
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What gorgeous dogs Cool I have always used a plastic gun dog whistle for recall. Blow it and put the food bowl down. Wear it round your neck and blow it randomly and treat...they will soon come running as they associate it with nice things. It’s useful for recalling when they are preoccupied with something else on a walk as the shrill sound cuts through the excitement in the other. Teaching “heal walking” at classes is also excellent.

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
ayr41
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just an update, received the gentle leader and certainly has helped, the only time she now pulls badly is the first 50 to 100 yards and the only other time she is bad when she sees another dog, so the walks are a little more pleasurable with the exception of the Scottish weather. Thank you for all your comments on the photo of Clyde and Ellie, happy new year to one and all.

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yay then - recently recommended a Gentle Leader to two friends here, and they have done the trick, with no scariness for the dog and no pressure on windpipes, or nasal breathing passages...

Of course, they wouldnt be for every dog, but my experiences of them are good so far....remember, you dont pull on the lead attached to the Gentle Leader...no tugs or anything like that. It is supposed to be a self-correcter, as it were...

Remembering all those we have loved xx
ayr41
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for that advice Judy, so tempting to pull her back when she pulls.

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Although it is time-consuming, if she pulls ahead, then you just turn around and walk the other way - no tugging - so that she learns that when she pulls, she then finds herself going in the opposite direction to the one she is striving for...

Remembering all those we have loved xx
Devon-Maid
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As Judy says doing an about turn certainly worked when we were teaching our pups to walk to heel. The other thing they learned was how to take the pressure off themselves. Mackenzie very quickly learned that i would just stop if he pulled - i put no more pressure on the lead and he would step backwards until he was level with me again and then we would move on. Again as Judy says it time consuming but ultimately will pay off in the long run.

GILLY ,MARK, MACKENZIE AND TALI
Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I still think basic obedience is the quickest. Just join a club, and it's also fun!

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ayr41 wrote:
Our lovely one year Beardie “Ellie” is a great girl in all ways but one, she is terrible to take a walk with our other Beardie who is ten. she pulls all the time, ........

Stephen, far be it from me to judge and Im not. But I agree with the training tips....

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with some formal dog training. Whilst the classes themselves can be difficult - Beardies have a short attention span, particularly when there's other dogs and hoomans to be loved - but the advice and guidance from a good instructor is worth "their" weight in gold. Provided of course, that you continue at home and about with the lessons learned at class until your Ellie has got the message. And that can take a fair bit of persistence, and patience.

Hobbes our lovely Beardie is just five months old now and even after six weeks of puppy training, he still hasn't quite got the message on the lead but he is getting there. Off the lead he is well behaved but again, staying to heal is still an issue. His other issue, which is causing me some angst is he jumping up. Dogs, Beardies in particular, communicate muzzle to muzzle and need to get "in your face" Smile and just have to do it now... right now. But he's slowly getting the message.

We're starting a new "Good Citizens" class - again a six week course so it will be good to see how that goes.

I would serious recommend you take the training route... the sooner you do both your Ellie and you will have a much less stressful time when out walking IMHO

Smile Smile Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've always found that all my Beardies have been very quick in learning.

It also has a lot to do with how close you bond with them. Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That’s good news Stephen that walking Ellie is a little easier for you. I would just suggest that when Ellie is walking in the position you want her to be that you reward her so she knows she is doing right and give that position a name like “side” or whatever you want. Reward her every three steps to start with and build up. By doing this you will reduce the amount of times when she does pull which means you won’t have to stop or turn her round as often. It’s much better to reward her when in the correct position to prevent having to turn her rather than waiting for her to pull and then having to turn her. Hope that makes sense. The more you can reward her for walking nicely the less likely she may be to pull when she sees another dog. All head collars and no pull harnesses are training aids, to help make guiding our dogs in the right direction a little easier, they should not replace us having to do any work. Eventually they should not have to be used.

I think the problem you are having walking Ellie is not really a walking to heel problem and training classes for this would not likely bare much fruit. The problem is that Ellie is not able to be let off the lead at the moment due to her recall. She is also a one year old working beardie that is receiving no free running apart from in the garden. So when she goes on her walks she pulls as she is excited, frustrated, anxious and has so much energy. Training classes may help you with the recall but in that situation it’s a difficult thing for a dog to learn when surrounded by so many other people and dogs. If I were going to seek help one to one sessions may be more beneficial at this time and you could always work up to a full class.

The most important thing here is that Ellies needs are met. Like most beardies she has a high energy level, she is also a working beardie and has to be able to release that energy in a positive way. You may get to the stage where you can walk Ellie nicely on the lead due to the training aid but if she is not able to burn energy off with free running or other activities like Jacquie suggested then you may find other problems develop in time. As being off lead is not just about the free running but taking in the environment through their sense of smell. When off lead they are free to engage with scents and visual objects more freely and this helps give them mental situation. If on the lead all the time this often passes them by.

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just thought I would give you all an update on Ellie’s lead pulling, as I think I mentioned we started with ahalti but that road up over her eye making it sore, then we tried a harness but that was no better than a normal collar and lead, after some advise above we tried a Gencon harness but unfortunaly that had the same problem as the Halti and rubbed her eye which swelled up. So we decide to purchase a Dogmatic collar, yes a bit expensive but now having some sucsess, its strong and padded so does not ride up and giving my arm some restbite, so things are looking up, many thanks for all your help.

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So pleased you have found something that suits Ellie and actually gives you some respite, those Dogmatic headcollars are, as you say, expensive but they are excellent and so well made they do last. Thanks for the update Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
your girl looks absolutely gorgeous! What a poppet. Love the advice you have been given, amongst all of that, and it has been mentioned,, 'treats'!!! I make my own nowadays as my girl has loads of allergies, and rarely walk without them!!! All the best,
Pam and Pippa

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic