The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Hobbes 2018 View next topic
View previous topic
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad poor Hobbes is on the mend, they do worry us don't they?

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Definitely mended.... eating like there's never been anything wrong and charging about like a loon....

Mind you he's sulking a bit right now because he's filthy dirty after a walk by the river and I won't let him in the kitchen. He still has his afternoon leg stretch to go and there's no point washing him properly until after that.

He's had a quick hose down of paws and undercarriage to ensure nothing cloggs up so is wet too .... Cool Cool

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well you wouldn't believe it. Hobbes has now gone and got himself Kennel Cough. Poor little chap is a very unhappy Beardie.

We took him to the vet this evening who checked him out and confirmed KC Sad But said he seemed "otherwise okay". He prescribed two lots of medication Doxycycline (antibiotic) and Loxicom (anti inflammatory).

So we gave him this with his food ... a small amount literally just before his evening meal. At some point since his supper we discovered that he vomited most of his supper up... no evidence of the tablets in the regurgitated food. nevertheless we're not giving him anymore medication until it is due again (tomorrow evening) but will phone the Vet first thing in the morning to check on that first.

He is sleeping right now and has plenty of water in various places around the house. But I am concerned or am I over reacting ??? After all he's only a little baby still really..... I shall have to keep an eye on him over night another night on the sofa coming Shocked

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My boy can't take one of the painkilling tablets but is ok on Loxicom which he had recently as he has the odd occasion of gastroenteritis. He always seems fine in himself, just gets severe diarrhoea. Poor little Hobbes, hope he gets over it all soon. They're such a worry when they're not well especially when they're littluns, aren't they.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Poor little Hobbes. I do hope he has a calm and peaceful night and then recovers very quickly.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

How is Hobbes this morning?

Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes how is poor wee Hobbs, is he any better tonight?

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Robert I would be very loathe to give Hobbes an anti inflammatory just for kennel cough I have no idea where this has come from but vets are now using it for KC and it is totally inappropriate use of these drugs. At one time no meds were given for KC unless it turned into a bronchial infection. Usually KC is a virus (though there is a bacterial strain) so antib's will do no good and is overuse which vets are supposed to be cutting down on same as Doctors. My vet is very careful with antib's nowadays. All the non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs can cause a lot of side affects, vomiting being one of them, but liver and kidney failure are others, beardies are very sensitive to these drugs and I refuse to use them at all having lost two beardies to them in the past. If it was me I would not give any more of the Loxicom and just use the antib's as a precaution. Honey is good to soothe the throat and a lot of people use junior benylyn. Hope Hobbes is feeling better soon.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Poor Hobbes, Our Tali caught Kennel cough when he was about 5 months at a Beardie get together, 2 other beardie babes caught it the same day. We were advised to do nothing but to isolate him from other dogs for 2 to 3 weeks as it is highly contagious. Other than the hacking cough Tali was his normal self so we just waited it out. Our other beardie Mackenzie didn't get it but he was an adult (and he had had the nasal vaccine 3 years previously, when he was kennelled as a day boy when I had jury service) and I think that like in humans the young and the old are more susceptible. As Jacquie says Honey is good for soothing and people say the junior benylyn works well to relieve the symptoms too.

GILLY ,MARK, MACKENZIE AND TALI
Robert
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay, update;

I slept down stairs last night with Hobbes and we had lots of cuddles, which he appreciated. Lots of hacking cough so the odd spoonful of honey was much appreciated.

Spoke with the Vet this morning and was advised to continue with the antibiotics, which we are doing. With much rest, and normal routine apart from out and about.

He's full of himself and apart from the hacking cough you wouldn't think there's anything wrong with him.

Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That all sounds much better, Robert - poor boy with the cough though. Like Gilly says, it is very infectious and, my vet said, In The Environment, so very easy to contract. I was told to not let my Betsy get close to other dogs for two weeks, so she wouldnt spread it to them, and to give her mild exercise.

Mind you, she was older than Hobbes at the time but even so, the cough was her main symptom and she recovered well.

Upwards and onwards for you and Hobbes, glad to hear things are a little less worse...

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That sounds much better Very Happy

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I absolutely agree with Jacquietwig about the misuse of anti-inflammatories and antibiotics for kennel cough. I know how worrying it can be when a young pup is unwell and only wanting to make sure they feel better. But in the past dogs usually got better from kennel cough without any medication. Of course puppies and oldies were more vulnerable but medication was only usually needed if complications started. But now, it seems dogs are prescribed anti inflammatories and antibiotics for every ailment even though some of the time they are unnecessary.

Doxycycline can make some dogs nauseous.
Robert
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

beardielady wrote:
I absolutely agree with Jacquietwig about the misuse of anti-inflammatories and antibiotics for kennel cough.

Again, thanks everyone for your views and advice. I have taken on board all that has been said so far and will continue to listen. However, for now having been in discussion with Hobbes' breeder we are content with the Veterinary advice we're being given.

FYI..... Hobbes is part of a life long Health Study Cohort being run, which is - I believe - in it's 15th year now (obviously not as far as Hobbes is concerned of course Smile ) Some of the things we do may be controversial but the aim of the study is to follow the lives of as many Beardies as possible from birth, through their whole life, to the end. We have regular reports to submit and ad hoc reports as and when something happens, which might require veterinary intervention and any that do not require veterinary intervention. We report on events leading to the incident, details of any visits to the vet, details of examinations, vaccinations, medication etc., and the dogs response to that treatment.

In doing all this it is hoped that increasingly detailed database of information on the Beardie health issues that is gathered will provide some sound scientific basis for drawing conclusions to a whole variety of Beardie health issues.

This has meant that Hobbes' vaccination regime is much reduced to that recommended by vets, which is followed by vast majority of dog owners. So Hobbes never actually the full set of vaccinations nor any KC vaccination. He has a regular Titre test and, if his anti bodies are okay, no additional boosters. Also, his Worming regime is different in that we regularly have his poo examined at a lab and they tell us if there is evidence of any worms. Should there be, then we will undertake worming medication intervention.

It is for that reason (where have I heard that phrase before) that we will continue to follow the vets advice and maintain a very close watch on how Hobbes responds to both the antibiotics and anti-inflamatory. Not saying - by any stretch of the imagination that I have any veterinary quals but we have been instructed on first aid and how to identify, through physical signs, if Hobbes is "off colour" and requiring a visit to the Vet.

Since this morning, Hobbes has improved and is charging around like a loon. The frequency of coughing fits has reduced and he is his, in all other ways, his normal self.

The Vet running this Health Study will receive a full Ad Hoc brief from us including details of the attending Vet in case any follow clarification may be required Vet to Vet.

Stands back and awaits incoming
Razz Razz

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Robert, who has been running the Cohort study for 15 years? I know they have recently started a Beardie one but I have not heard of anything being done for Beardies before. (Apologies if I have misinterpreted it).

It is good that some people are trying to help improve Beardie health with studies but it sounds like only a small percentage of Beardies are being involved. To have to wait many years until the last of the dogs involved die and the results are correlated will not help today’s dogs from becoming ill.

This is why, meantime, it helps to have information and read of other owner’s experiences (good or bad). Some have had many years of living with Beardies, they have experienced the problems and hopefully have learned from them. Some maybe, are fairly new to owning Beardies but unfortunately have had their dog become ill so will have learnt along the way about how to cope with that. Some will have been on various dog forums learning from a multitude of posts.

It is good that Hobbes is following a reduced vaccination/worming regime but (in my opinion) things like flea treatment and unnecessary medication should also be reviewed along with what to feed as well no doubt.

Hoping he continues improving and is back to normal soon.
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As far as vaccination and worming go, that is very much what I do Robert Wink Very Happy

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

...... and me. I have never been a fan of all the 'stuff' put into animals so have gone down the 'minimal' route - time will reveal all, I hope.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to hear he's well on the mend Robert - keep up the good work Wink

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

beardielady wrote:
Robert, who has been running the Cohort study for 15 years?.

OOOps...... didn't read through what I had posted properly. Apologies. The Study being run by Dr Ken & Wendy Hines has been going for 18 months and has 15 years to run.... got my numbers mixed up

Sorry

Robert

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
It is good that Hobbes is following a reduced vaccination/worming regime but (in my opinion) things like flea treatment and unnecessary medication should also be reviewed along with what to feed as well no doubt.

I have to agree with that Beardielady, it's all part of the big picture, otherwise results will be skewed Confused

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Aahh......yes that is the study I heard about, Robert.
beardielady
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Plus we must not forget about the genes in all of this either.
Robert
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

beardielady wrote:
Plus we must not forget about the genes in all of this either.

I used to spend money on Levi's but now, I think they're far too expensive so I just buy M&S ones... They're a third of the price of Levi, just as hard waring and they last three times longer than Levi's and bonus.... they don't got no holes in them....

Sorry Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Twisted Evil ....how do you tell a male chromosome from a female chromosome...........

Pull down their genes.......

Twisted Evil boomboom

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Judy!!!!! Shocked Laughing Laughing

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic