The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Harness View next topic
View previous topic
mel
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone can recommend a good harness for beardies. The sizing seems to be a minefield.

The two we have bought so far have not been very good and I am now looking at fleece harnesses.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Mel

I've tried all sorts of harnesses they all seem to mat the coat to varying degrees, the one I'm using just now is the Truelove harness, it looks good is well made, sizing is easy, I use medium for my beardies and reasonable pricing. They also appear to be comfortable for the dog.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Truelove-Pet-Dog-Harness-Training-Collar-Adjustable-Leash-Reflective-Mesh-Soft/253257383694?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=552387647372&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

There are some new colours available if you search.

I have tried the fleece ones the perfect fit type is better than standard fleece but they both mat the coat.

Lots of reflective bits on the Truelove which is really good if you walk in the dark or poor light.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
for the last few
years I've bought two harnesses from:

https://www.fleecedogharnesses.co.uk/

and can absolutely recommend them. The first lasted my girl about three years and we have been using the current one for about two and so far its showing no real sign of wear.

They are very comfortable, and well made, wash well (having a girl who loves rolling I tend to wash mine pretty well every day!) dry quickly and lovely colours (you can choose your colour combo too!!)

best wishes,
Pam and Pippa
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I really like both harnesses shown above. Foxie and Miss You have had Julius K9 harnesses for the last few years and I'm quite happy with them. I may well try the eDog fleece harnesses for their next ones though.

mel
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you so much for the helpful replies.

I do like the look of the Truelove harness. Does it stay in place? I have found that with the harnesses bought so far the clips do not keep the strap at the chosen setting, so they end up very loose (if that makes any sense Embarassed )
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

mel wrote:

I do like the look of the Truelove harness. Does it stay in place? I have found that with the harnesses bought so far the clips do not keep the strap at the chosen setting, so they end up very loose (if that makes any sense Embarassed )

Yes the adjustment is very secure I haven't had a problem with them slipping at all and I'm using these harnesses for 5 dogs. Haven't found fault with them yet. Very Happy

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jacquietwig wrote:
mel wrote:

Yes the adjustment is very secure I haven't had a problem with them slipping at all and I'm using these harnesses for 5 dogs. Haven't found fault with them yet. Very Happy

One last thing (honestly Embarassed )

Billy is 66cm and the medium size says it fits up to 69cm.

Would you recommend going up a size as he is only 10 months old and will fill out a bit more. I am wondering if 3cm will be enough growing room. On the other hand, I wouldn't want it to be too large, which could be uncomfortable.

Thanks.
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you would probably be best with the large size, large does fit my Tarak but I bought the medium as that also fits and is just that little bit lighter for him. A friend has a Norwegian Buhund (smaller than a beardie) and she has the large size for her, if that helps.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pam7 wrote:
Hi,
for the last few
years I've bought two harnesses from:

https://www.fleecedogharnesses.co.uk/

Pam and Pippa

I have been looking for a wide breasted car harness for ages, these look very promising; thanks.

Joy and Millie
Pam7
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would be interested to hear how you get on with this too, I have a crate in our car, but, we are needing to change our pretty ancient, but very big, car, so could well be looking for alternatives.

The harnesses are made to your own measurements, so very good fit.

best wishes,
Pam and Pippa
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A word of warning regarding using harnesses in the car, you should always use a proper car harness rather than a walking harness, preferably a crash tested one, as walking harnesses aren't strong enough in a crash and also put pressure on the wrong places so can injure the dog. Wink

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Absolutely- whilst I am not recommending the car safety harness as I have not used it, the review says it is the only safety tested type available here in the U.K. I cannot verify or otherwise that.
Have used the harness, which was recommended to me by my dog trainer, and found it brilliant, comfy for the dog and very safe with two lead points.
Best wishes
Pam and Pip
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bit of info here:

https://doggydreamteam.co.uk/product-reviews/best-medium-dog-car-harness/

This is for medium breeds, not sure what beardies would be classed as now but in the past they have always been medium. Here's the large dog one:

https://doggydreamteam.co.uk/product-reviews/best-large-dog-car-harness/

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jacquietwig wrote:
I think you would probably be best with the large size, large does fit my Tarak but I bought the medium as that also fits and is just that little bit lighter for him. A friend has a Norwegian Buhund (smaller than a beardie) and she has the large size for her, if that helps.

Thanks so much for your reply.

After careful consideration and as you use this on your beardies, I have gone ahead and ordered a medium, purely because the harness he has now is on the baggy side and looks awful as it almost stands away from his body, so would prefer a closer fit. The seller I have ordered it from does do refunds, so if I think it is too small will return it.

Thanks again for the advice.
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You're welcome Mel, one thing I can say is that this harness is a nice close fit. Wink as long as you adjust it right of course. Smile

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Unfortunately the medium size in the TrueLove did not fit (very tight) so I had to send it back for a refund.

I then purchased this one, which I am really pleased with and it is an excellent fit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Embark-Active-Harness-Attachments-Control/dp/B071F3WX3F/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520021113&sr=8-2&keywords=embark%2Bdog%2Bharness&th=1

Got there in the end Smile
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's good you've found something that fits well and works for you, it does look very similar to the Truelove one Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I like your harness! I may look for it and buy one for little Miss You.

Pam7
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad you have found one you are happy with, it is difficult isn't it - if we are looking for clothes we can try them on!! Very best wishes, Pam and Pippa

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic