The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 greedy dog View next topic
View previous topic
freddyteddy
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can anyone offer any advice...our 6 month old pup eats his food so fast ...we have bought a dish with big bumps in to try and slow him down but it makes no difference at all. I have tried splitting his food into smaller portions but he still eats it as fast. Any ideas
munchkin
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi there, have you tried to "ditch the dish" idea, it is easier when fed kibble. You divide the kibble up through out the day, the first time say you scatter the kibble over the floor so puppy has to find the food so slowing them down, next time you do training using there food as the treat. After that you play a game like get a box, place paper, plastic bottles, crinkle paper and get them to rummage through the box for some more food, you can start off with a fair amount and play to the point where you put just one piece in. I play this with one of my dogs and she loves the game.
Make each game or session exciting so the puppy has to use there brain which slows them down.

Hope this helps a bit

x

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks some good ideas to try tomorrow
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe put it in a Buster cube? if your feeding kibble that is.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You could contact the breeder of your puppy and ask them how they fed their pups, and are any other littermates eating the same way. This behaviour can be a result of competition for food which some pups may experience in some form when feeding from mum but this can be made worse in the way they were fed by the breeder. This behaviour can lead to aggression around food so itís something to be aware of.

I would talk to your vet first as there are medical conditions that can prevent a dog from extracting all the nutrients it needs from its food so they tend to be hungry resulting in them eating quickly. Another thing to may be consider if his diet, is it right for him? Also with behaviour like this itís important for a vet to rule out a parasite that could be causing your pup to eat this way.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Has he been doing this from the beginning or just recently? Is he well, a good weight, not too thin or fat? It may be that he needs more food. I have found that feeding guidelines on the food or the diet sheet that came with a puppy was only really a guide and I tend to go with how they seem. I find some dog foods advise way too much food.

When you say you split his food do you mean at the one meal or is he fed a few times throughout the day? Feeding two or three times a day instead of once may help.

If you have other dogs (cats even) try leaving him to eat his food on his own in another room. Try to ensure other dogs do not bark whilst he is eating or snuffle at the door of the room otherwise he may try to eat quicker if he thinks the others want his food/or so that he can go and eat the other's food.

Try putting a heavy ball(s) (rubber maybe) in his bowl so that he has to move them around to eat.

If he is being fed a dry food you could try soaking it with hot water and letting it cool first. It may not slow down his eating but it may reduce the risk of bloat.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic