The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Leash for the Show Ring View next topic
View previous topic
Robert
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm currently taking Hobbes "Ring Craft" classes as it is likely that we will show him. This is because everyone we meet, who knows about Beardies/showing, says we should because he's such a lovely looking dog.

I see all sorts of and makes of leads, which people use with their dogs at training but there are no other Beardies at this calss. All the leads I see look ummm how should I say it? Well to be frank, cruel.

They're all the slip and choker type. And, because everyone uses them, I presume this sort of treatment is tolerated.

Am I missing something here, is this the standard? And if so, which lead is recommended for a Beardie??

Thanks

Robert

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Have you had a close look at the collars being worn by the other dogs? I think at least some of them may be wearing collars known as Martingales. The main part of the collar is exactly the length to go round the neck comfortably and then the ends are permanently joined by a loop of chain to which the lead is attached through a normal loop. Being of this construction, it means that, in repose, the collar is not held tightly within the neck fur. On the move, the tightest the collar goes is the measured leather part. Hard to describe but if you google 'Martingale Collars' you will probably get a much better idea of what I am trying to say. Rolling Eyes Mine two wear these on normal walks as I do not want to ruin the neck fur.
It is of course possible, that other people have different ideas.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think this is the sort of thing Derwendolly is talking about:

https://essenjayleathersupplies.co.uk/dog-collars/half-check-collars/

Available in either rolled or flat leather, kinder than the very narrow show leads. You can add a lead of your choice.

Also available in nylon either with chain or a nylon loop which damages the coat less.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks both.

The martingale / slip collar are still in effect "chokers".... but if thats the norm, hopefully with the training then Hobbes wont get choked any worse that with his normal collar and harness.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I cannot understand how you see this type of collar as a 'choker'. If it is the correct size for the dog it is in no way choking it, even when the dog is pulling!! Mine certainly do not choke them, nor go anywhere near and there is no way I would use one that did. I suggest you try one before making such a sweeping conclusion.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I take you're point but unless they're essentially made to measure, too small a collar will become a choker and too long a collar will be ineffective.

I see that there is at least one site that does made to measure collars, so I'll give them a go.

Again thanks to all

Robert Very Happy Very Happy

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I do hope you find a well measured one appropriate for you needs as I have found them brilliant for mine. Seeing and trying is believing - or otherwise! Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They wont choke if correctly fitted, you need one that is adjustable. Saying that these days I don't use collars at all on my dogs, other than to carry an identification tag, I only use harnesses having discoverered the damage that can be caused to dogs necks and thyroid.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am fortunate in as much as mine are almost always off lead so the collar is only a means of dangling the disc! If I do need to put them on leads then I am confident that their Martingales are well fitting! I have to say that I do need to buy a new one frequently for Davey as he is still growing!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic