The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Salt, Anti Freeze "n" Stuff View next topic
View previous topic
Robert
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
from Ken Hines.....

With the snow and ice expected the roads may well be gritted, if you walk your dog on gritted roads/paths please make sure that their paws are washed either by walking them through a few puddles away from the gritted surfaces or by dipping their feet in fresh water once at home. Every year hundreds of pets throughout the country become seriously ill and in some cases die because of the rock salt and antifreeze being used during the cold snap. Dogs and cats walk through the substances left by gritters trying to clear roads and car drivers defrosting their windscreens and then licking them off their paws. Consuming rock salt can cause dehydration, liver failure and pancreatitis, while antifreeze contains the chemical ethylene glycol, which can be lethal when ingested.

I read this post today and thought Ken would not mind me copying it here just in case..... However, Im fairly sure you're all aware of this potential danger to our Beardies health .... apologies if I'm preaching to the choir on this

Smile Smile Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's always good to be reminded... Better to be told twice than not at all. Thanks!

JulieC
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nina07 wrote:
It's always good to be reminded... Better to be told twice than not at all. Thanks!

I totally agree Nina, there is so much to remember when it comes to looking after Beardies that reminders are much appreciated, especially when they are "seasonal". Very Happy

Joybells
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you Robert. I agree - it is better to have more reminders than none, certainly for me.

Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree too, except it's about walking your dog on paths that are too hot,
or driving on roads where ere the tar is melting! The heat wave has hit us and a lot of places are already hitting the 30's. Here we're in the 20's so far.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Threebeards wrote:
........about walking your dog on paths that are too hot,
or ..... on roads where ere the tar is melting! The heat wave has hit us and a lot of places are already hitting the 30's. Here we're in the 20's so far.

Absolutely !!!

I don't believe any of us here object to being reminded of these things. Our dogs are precious to us but now and again, in the same way we have a brain fade and injure ourselves, we simply forget things in relation to our dog's safety. Perhaps because we're in a rush.... so no - in my view - it never hurts to be reminded.

Our dogs paws are part of their bodies natural cooling mechanism so if you ask them to walk on a pavement, road, beach or any surface that retains heat beware... use the hand test. If it's too warm for you to hold the back or your hand on, even for even a moment, don't ask your dog to walk on it....

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic