The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Cytopoint View next topic
View previous topic
Heidiwuff
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyone used this in injection form for an itchy dog?

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have no experience with this drug but I do know that Apoquel has been found to cause some very unusual cancers, a friends dog died of this after being on Apoquel for some time.

Cytopoint is a new drug and hasn't really had time to see what affects it might have but I have just been reading some worrying stories here:

http://www.petforums.com/showthread.php/10902-Has-your-dog-reacted-badly-to-Cytopoint-injection-(new-anti-itch-shot)

I have been battling with an itchy dog this year and have found Dermacton to be very affective in relieving the irritation. using this and removing chicken and beef from her diet plus weekly baths in a natural shampoo she is itch free and her hair is growing back nicely.

https://www.aromesse.com/skin-problem/petnat-itchy-skin-relief-dermacton-cream-spray-shampoo-dog-canine.html

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you know the cause of your dog's itchiness? Jethro went under a laurel bush to sniff (as usual) after a walk, and came out sneezing uncontrollably. Saw the emergency vet about an hour later, then (our vet's emergencie s are outsourced as are all but one of the local practices) our own vet the following day. A nose swab was taken and the results from the lab showed an allergic reaction to 4 out of 6 substances. We had a problem locally from oak processionary moth caterpillars in the fields which adjoin the area where the laurel bush is (didn't know this until a couple of weeks later when the Forestry Commission posted notices around this area and the surrounding fields. They found the wretched things at the local school grounds which are also nearby. Although the fields were checked they didn't find them. Only the school area was infected, which is about a quarter of a mile away.) Jethro has always sniffed at this bush, as do all the local dogs, but never gone under it before (or since!) He hasn't been on Apoquel for long but while it worked brilliantly for the first 4 days its not the perfect solution. I talked to one of the vet animal nurses who has a golden retriever aged 5 on the Cytopoint injections and she's very impressed with the results. I am in 2 minds about all medication. Tried antihistamine (his allergic reaction was due to pollens) and a topical spray plus ear drops. Ear drops work, topical spray didn't. I am now going to go into the links you've posted. Thanks for your help.

Mary

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Those processionary caterpillers are scarey, I'm assuming Jethro hasn't actually come into contact with them?

Tala had a severe allergic reaction to the Advantage flea treatment which was what made her bite herself raw, but she was itchy prior to that and we don't really know what is causing it. My trusted Vet (who has now moved out of the area) was of the opinion that the blood tests where not very reliable for food allergies so we went down the elimination route which seems to be working.

The problem with those allergy drugs is that they interfere with the immune system which for beardies with their immune problems may not be the best.
My friends poor dog (a Border terrier) that was on Apoquel developed a horrible tumour that grew out of the front of his head like a rhino horn, it grew very rapidly and he had to be put to sleep. I found on the net afterwards that Apoquel is causing these wierd tumours so I'm convinced it was that, never seen anything like it before.

Did Jethro have itchy problems before he sniffed under the bush?

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

He's always been itchy in February. He hasn't been in contact with the caterpillars unless there was something like that in the bush. There are no oak trees immediately near the bush but the field we use that's about 200m away from it is mostly oak and beech. Its the suppressed immune system that made me not use Apoquel until late December. I've read the posts you suggested and I'm in even more doubt now. I use the Advantage flea treatment on Jethro and the equivalent one for cats on them, they all hate it being applied but so far - touch wood - haven't had any reactions to it. Jethro's had it since he was old enough to, I think I used Frontline spray when he was a puppy; he'll be 6 this year.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's wierd isn't it, I always use Advantage as I believe it's about the safest one and never had any problems until this year when Tala reacted. The others so far are fine so I shall continue to use it for them if and when required, just can't use for Tala. I'm currently trying program for her which at least isn't toxic, but you do have to wait a couple of months for it to kick in. We shall see.

As Jethro is always itchy in February could it be tree pollens that are affecting him? I'm not sure but think they start about Feb. certainly the Hazel does. Difficult to deal with as it's inhalant but at least the season is short lived.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Back in June when we had the laurel bush incident I had him blood tested; the results were postive for 2 pollens and 2 grasses. The lab result didn't state which pollens and grasses though. I have a silver birch tree in the garden; I know birch pollen is responsible for a lot of hay fever in people, so I think you're right about that. This is quite an open country area (even in the outskirts of London!) with lots of trees, mostly oak, beech, birch and sycamore. The birch is one of the earliest to have pollen. If only antihistamines worked for Jethro ... sigh ...

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Such a shame, Piriton worked for Tala when it was bad. Surprising they didn't say which pollens they were Confused

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic