The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Ant acids for dogs View next topic
View previous topic
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been reading on other dog sites about ant acids massively helping dogs tums. Any of you got experience of that please?

Mollie has been bringing up sometimes clear, some times frothy slimy liquid quite a bit. It can happen in the night, first thing in morning any time really and isnít food related Sad The vet took bloods and said they were good for a dog of almost 15 and they detected no problems with heart or lungs.
They want to scan her which will mean an anaesthetic but have warned she may not survive that. Thought I would give it a try. Others speak highly of human tum protection for their dogs such as gaviston tabs or omepresol.
What do you all think? She is ok in herself, pestering for food and treats and enjoys a short walk. Still wags when seeing you. Willing to give meds a try rather than risk losing her under a scan.

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
ajm
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Manny was on Omeprazole, a human antacid/reflux medication his dose was 20mg again a human dose. This was when he was first diagnosed with pancreatitis. I know Paulines Chester was also on it. I didn't notice any side effects.

Just noticed in my Annie pic two of the dogs are no longer here and the third is nearly 13 and is the puppy in the avatar.. Where does the time go.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Used Omeprazole on Jethro recently with good effects, although it was only for 4 days.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is she vomiting it or regurgitating it? You could try feeding her with her food bowl raised if you do not already do that. Maybe have smaller but extra meals. Also, perhaps give her a little food before bedtime.

Do you mean an ultrasound scan? I would have thought an anaesthetic is not necessary for that......? If she does not have any other symptoms then I would not worry about having any more tests for the moment.

Omeprazole made my dog regurgitate her food! But she was okay on Zitac.
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sometimes as they get older I have found if the tummy is empty they vomit up yellow bile, I've always stopped it by giving a little something last thing at night. Triskel started doing this overnight or first thing in the morning and I found giving her a small handful of kibble last thing at night stopped it. If she's doing it during the day as well then, as beardielady suggests, maybe several small meals and a little something before bed may do the trick.

I don't know what you feed but also sometimes you need to change to something light as they age. I've just had to take Wytchling (spaniel) off her usual raw diet and feed cooked food, she is also 15.

I also agree about an ultrasound that certainly shouldn't need an anaesthetic.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

She does have a raised bowl and three smallish soft meals a day and the odd little biscuit and chicken sliced etc. Sounds like omeprazol might be worth a try. I think it is regurgitate rather than sick but thereís no food bits involved. Thanks guys. XX

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Me again. Those of you using it, what have you found to be the best way and time etc? I assume you just tip the contents of capsule into food rather than the capsule whole? Thanks.

beardielady
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was told to keep the capsule intact and that the dog should swallow it intact. I found it quite hard to do this as the dog can chew bits of it whilst avoiding swallowing it! The Zitac is much easier as it can be crushed up with food. You also have to make sure, with some medication that it is not given within an hour or more of food and other medication! Some it is not compatible with. It might be best to ask your vet or check more information online. An hour or less before bedtime might be best if night time early morning is the problem for the regurgitating.I notice Levothyroxine is on the list so if she is having thyroid medication that is another thing to beware of.
Here is a little information I got off the Internet:

"It is important not to crush the tablets or capsules. Do not allow your pet to chew this medication.
Are there any drug interactions I should be aware of?

Other drugs may interact with omeprazole including benzodiazepines, clarithromycin, clopidogrel, cyanocobalamin, cyclosporine, digoxin, levothyroxine, rifampin, and warfarin. Tell your veterinarian about any medications (including vitamins, supplements, or herbal therapies) that your pet is taking to ensure that a suitable dosing schedule can be determined."

Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you.
I donít see why one canít just put the granules in a drop of soup for example. The capsule will melt away anyway and the ďbeadsĒ are delayed to release at different times. ???

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gerrie I just found this:

Do not crush, break, or chew delayed release tablets. Doing so can release all of the drug at once, increasing the risk of side effects.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This may explain it a bit:

"Omeprazole is broken down by stomach acid, so omeprazole capsules and tablets are specially designed to protect the medicine, allowing it to pass through the stomach into the intestine where it is absorbed. For this reason, omeprazole capsules and tablets should be swallowed whole, not broken, chewed or crushed."

You may be able to get a different type...perhaps ask your vet?
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah I see. Thank you. I have taken it for decades and never knew that.
We live and learn. Very Happy
We had a slow, short ďsniffyĒ walk this afternoon and she was poorly twice on return but went through last night. Old age catching up I fear. She has gone down hill since losing Lizzie last June. Crying or Very sad
Thank you for your responses. Any ideas greatfully received. My vet seems to be going through staff at a rate of knots just now, I have been waiting a week for some promised antisickness pills to try, and donít know any of the young vets. Feel a bit lost with this Sad

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

xxxx Gerrie xxxx

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is a trying time for vets and it is dreadful when our usual vet is not available.

So, did Mollie drink any water on her return home before she regurgitated? Did it look like water? She could be drinking too much at once. Also is her water bowl raised?

Has she had her thyroid tested? Sometimes Hypothyroidism can affect the esophagus as well as other more common parts.
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's a difficult one Gerrie, especially with the vets a they are just now, I feel for you. If Mollie is ok in herself and eating well with the bloods showing nothing untoward, it may well be nothing other than her digestion failing a bit due to her age.

Going back to Wytchling it was over Christmas when she started throwing up her meals and being a bit picky over eating, although was ok in herself. I found out later that a couple of other dogs in the neighbourhood had been vomiting over christmas too so don't know if it was a bug or just her age, she will be sixteen in July. Anyway at the time I just put her on to a little cooked turkey mince and she was fine, so I have stuck with that with a little sweet potato and some very expensive tins. She has a few supplements to make sure she isn't missing out and I add blueberries every day and some veggies occasionally. She's very happy with that diet and can't wait for her food now licks the bowl clean and no more sicky probs at all.

What I'm saying is sometimes it's just a matter of finding out what suits. What's the fat content of what you feed as if that's too high that could cause problems.

Wracking my brains here Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

No she didnít drink anything before being poorly but has bought water up before. Water bowl has always been on the floor for all my dogs over the years with no problem. She loves her food and eats anything, is now on gravy sachets to absorb Yumove and the odd paracetamol. Easier on her old toothy pegs too. I shall try The Omeprazole when antibiotics are finished, her water infection has cleared up nicely now.
She does start the early morning and sometimes in the night with a sneezing fit which has to be connected somehow .. snorting too. Poor Moll bangs her head badly on bed frame during these sneezing fits as she sleeps under the bed.

My lovely vet retired and the fabulous vet who helped us through Lizzie has just moved away Sad knowing and having confidence in your vet is priceless at these times.

moley
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Gerrie, I used Infacol for Babies when Troy had Episodes of Colitis, Cramps and bringing up Bile. Really worked wonders for him and is totally harmless.
Comes with a Dropper, so I used to shoot it straight into his Mouth. Tastes very sweet.
Might be worth a try, available in the Supermarket.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

beardielady wrote:
It is a trying time for vets and it is dreadful when our usual vet is not available.

So, did Mollie drink any water on her return home before she regurgitated? Did it look like water? She could be drinking too much at once. Also is her water bowl raised?

Has she had her thyroid tested? Sometimes Hypothyroidism can affect the esophagus as well as other more common parts.

Not sure what was tested for they just said all her bloods were ok.
The pools she brings up, sometimes more than others, is a clear phlegm and sits on top of the carpet. She is quick to clear it up herself before you get the clothes out itís gone again. Sorry if youíre eating xxx

Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

moley wrote:
Hi Gerrie, I used Infacol for Babies when Troy had Episodes of Colitis, Cramps and bringing up Bile. Really worked wonders for him and is totally harmless.
Comes with a Dropper, so I used to shoot it straight into his Mouth. Tastes very sweet.
Might be worth a try, available in the Supermarket.

Ooh thank you, I shall look into that xx

moley
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I gave whenever Troy started to show signs of discomfort, works very fast

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It might be an idea to try the water bowl raised for a while. It will be for the same reason to have a raised feeder, to help the water/food go down the gullet especially when they get older.

How long has she been bringing this stuff up? It has not just started since being on antibiotics, paracetamol or having an UTI?

Could she be getting cold in the night, her nose running and that make her sneeze?

A vet rarely tests the thyroid unless they think there is a thyroid problem. Dogs do not always show the obvious signs. If you do have her thyroid tested it is best to have the Free T4 and TSH done as well as the usual T4 the vets just do.

If she is eating well and is happy, it might be best to just monitor her for the moment.
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another thought, what about digestive enzymes? When they get older the enzymes decrease unless on a raw diet, so adding some to their food can make a real difference.

Last edited by Jacquietwig on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for all your thoughts. She will be 15 years old in 9 weeks so I expect you have to have something wearing out Sad
She is at groomers tomorrow morning to be clipped short. She doesnít like being pulled about now and itís a job to keep her clean around her face with all this going on. Be gad when sheís home again.

Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Beardie lady .. she started bringing up beige froth around November time but now itís clear (ish)

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Aw Mollie - bet she is delighted when you get her back clipped - friends say that their dogs, whatever the breed, love having the groom and the clip Smile

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic