The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Dog Thefts View next topic
View previous topic
Robert
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know if any of you take the Sunday Times or not.

Anyway, there is a good article about "Your Puppy's First Year" by an Andrew Cotter. But what a knob... he clearly (or the editors) didn't think the article through before publishing.

Yes. there was some good tips for those thinking about buying a puppy...

However, as you know there has been a huge increase in dog thefts, including whole litters of dogs recently, and his article has just .... IMHO... put Bearded Collies at the top of any dog hustlers list....

It says, Breed of the Month... Bearded Collie. And then talks nicely about the breed in such a way that will clearly make the dog rustlers go on the prowl as currently, a beardie pup and is at a premium... as would any adult beardie for that matter.

Please warn all your breeder colleagues and owners of Beardies, to be more vigilant and on their guard... I would not be in the slightest bit surprised now, to see a rise in the theft of Beardies.... Idiot of a man and the Sunday Times

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have not read the article but I can imagine the content. No doubt, giving the impression a Beardie is for everyone, despite the high maintenance they are and I am not talking cost either. Oh and did he mention the health problems in the breed?

Personally I would love a puppy, but with the Coicid-19 situation as it is, I do not think it is wise to get a puppy. Not only, with lockdowns etc. is it difficult to get to see the puppy/ collect the puppy but the whole socializing of the puppy will be very difficult and even vets are limiting their appointments etc.

Thanks for the information, Robert. Owners do need to be more vigilant especially if they let their dogs off the lead on a walk, as some dogs seem to have been taken that way.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As a coordinator for Doglost, I have seen a big rise in thefts of dogs & puppies.
The unscrupulous thief doesn't care of the health problems of the breed he is stealing, MONEY is all they care about & sadly there are people who buy puppies on line, without any checks re parents etc.
Never leave your dog unattended ANYWHERE, car/garden.outside a shop & definitely have your wits about you when out on a walk.
I have a bike lock on my gate, but even when Pastou is in the garden, he is monitored at all times.

Scruffymuffins
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is something that i really worry about Crying or Very sad

Robert
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes.... me too. I worry each time the wife goes out with Hobbes on her own. In the mornings I tend to walk where it's unlikely to find these dog rustlers and it's probably far too early in the morning for them.... I hope Shocked

I have to say I'm surprised at the Sunday Times magazine editor not seeing that and realising it was not a particularly smart thing to publish.

The authors quip about a Bearded being

[Quote] A collie but hairier, a Dulux dog but smarter and svelter [Unquote] was both wrong - In that the Dulux is an Old English sheep dog and complementary with the "smarter and svelter". So that made me spit and smile at the same time.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The amount of dogs that i see tied up outside shops actually astounds me.It only takes a second for someone to slip the lead and walk away.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic