The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 A tribute to our beloved Wills View next topic
View previous topic
Barbs
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

With unspeakable sadness, we had to say goodbye to our precious Wills last Thursday. After suffering a sudden collapse, it was clear that our little warrior didn’t want to fight any more battles. The vet came to us at home and he slipped away peacefully in my arms, surrounded by those who loved him so very much.

William was with us for only five and a half short years, coming to us aged 8, after suffering dreadful neglect as a result of sad human circumstances. Though physically weak and facing a long recovery, beset by complications with arthritis, his indomitable spirit was much in evidence from the start .. along with his extraordinary stubbornness and quirky sense of humour. Over the months to come, his strength improved and he went from managing only very short periods of plodding, to mastering his own funny little rocking-horse canter which although only worked for limited distances, came in handy for the odd squirrel pursuit.

When Charity came along in need of a new home, William’s calm and down to earth approach to everything, played such a big part in helping Charity to settle and overcome her own insecurity issues and she in turn recognised Will’s limitations and acted accordingly, also assuming the role of staunch defender– woe betide anyone that tried to mess with her big bro. They had such a touchingly lovely relationship.

After fighting back so bravely from his earlier difficulties, it seemed so unfair that he should then be struck down by an AI inflammatory disease back in the summer of 2011. Thanks to the fantastic care he received at the Queen Mother Hospital, he managed to pull through, survived another life-threatening relapse 8 months later and weathered several less serious setbacks. The treatment regime wasn’t easy on him and was still ongoing, including 2 days every month spent at the hospital. Ironically, over recent months he’d been pretty stable in neurological terms, his liver was just about back to normal for the first time in 2 years and in many ways he was doing ok but was sadly slowly losing the longstanding struggle with arthritis.

Wills has given us so much, teaching about the importance of the simple things in life and counting blessings to see hope when all seems bleak. Despite all he’s been through, he never complained, cried or made a fuss about anything and just stoically carried through with everything that was asked of him, and more … and if he could raise a laugh along the way, so much the better as far as he was concerned. But, most of all, he always gave that priceless unconditional love and trust. We’ve been so privileged to have him in our lives, and if there’s any regret at all, it’s only that we weren’t also able to share in his younger, healthier years.

The last couple of evenings, it’s been heart-wrenching to watch Charity keep glancing towards the living room door as she always did when Wills was about to nudge it open and come plodding in to join us. He’d recently taken to standing in front of me staring pointedly, until I got up, lifted him onto my chair and moved myself onto the floor beside him to stroke his head. Wills always had such a way of making it quite clear whatever he wanted. And so it was to the end. I’d agonised often recently over whether I’d know for sure, if / when it was time to face up to what was best for him. As I cradled his head on Thursday morning, and looked into those beautiful eyes, I had no trace of doubt that the spark had gone – his final gift to us, a lesson in understanding when it was ok to let go.

I hope you’ll forgive me for sharing my ramblings. Many of you have been so kind and supportive of Wills in the past, for which I thank you from the heart, and I know that you more than most, will understand the way we’re feeling right now. Our lives changed completely because of Wills and now with his loss, our world has tilted again and things will never be quite the same. My thoughts also go out to Belinda (for so many reasons xx) and the people who have been a tower of strength through this – you know who you are, thank you so much.

Sleep tight Wills, my beloved prince and warrior. You deserved better from life but I hope you knew we couldn’t have loved you more. We miss you so much.
xxxx

Windsteer William
22/02/2000 – 05/12/2013
As a part of me has left with you, so a special part of you remains with me forever. Always in my heart and by my side, my beautiful brave boy.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Barbs, that was such a touching tribute to your Wills, it has left me in tears. He was a very lucky boy to have come to live with you and share your life, and I can tell from this tribute that you were lucky to share his too. My thoughts are with you at this very sad time.

Scruffymuffins
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Barbs i'm so very sorry to read this Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I've been thinking of you and meaning to pm to see how Wills was Crying or Very sad Having had the pleasure of meeting him, I can say what a lovely sweet boy he was Crying or Very sad I'm sorry I can't pluck up the courage to read your tribute to him at the moment Crying or Very sad but just want to let you know that I am thinking of you all and sending all love and hugs. xxx
moley
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So sorry Barb. Run free sweet William

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was so very sorry to read about your beloved Wills, I was nearly in tears too by the end. I'm sure you will all miss his presence, but it seems, deep down, like you know that you did the right thing.

My heart and thoughts are with you at this very sad time.

Cornish Cleo
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am so sorry for your loss, Barbs - but what a wonderful tribute you have paid to your special boy - warrior prince that he was.

Run free, Wills - no more pain ever again, but still and forever surrounded by love. Sweet dreams you beautiful boy.

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So sorry you have lost your boy, what an amazing lad...but also what an amazing person, by his side through so many trials and tribulations...your words also had me in tears. Our dogs are such amazing friends and companions aren't they....and losing them is such a heartbreaker...truly,something of us does go with them,but also,something of them is with us always....just as it should be. Thinking of you. RIP Wills,brave boy.

Last edited by moorgal on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kentish Sue
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Barbara - I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face - I know just how much Wills meant to you and how much you cared for him. You did him proud and he repaid it in bucket loads with his love for you.

Harry, his cyber side kick, and I are just sending you an enormous ((hug)) and to Belinda too who must be hurting as much as you.

Celebrate Wills life because my goodness he has left an enormous legacy behind him

He is safe at the Bridge now with all our other much loved pets who will look after him for you.

To the lovely Wills - may your heart run free through each and and every flower in the field.

Sue and Harry xxx

Never Forgotten:
Harry, Shilstone Cornishman
Sadie, Breaksea Hot Spice

Wongie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Barbs am so so sorry for your loss..Wills knew how much he was loved and he be forever safe in your heart,know he captured our hearts with his stories . Run free Wills xx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Barbs, sending our love to you all xxx

Your tribute to Wills was so touching that I also was in tears reading it, I think we all know how much he meant to you and your family.

Run free dear Wills surrounded by our love and warmth

GILLY ,MARK, MACKENZIE AND TALI
Rusmum
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So sorry for you loss. Very fitting tribute to your boy.

kathryn
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Barbara, I am so very sorry Crying or Very sad Just reading that Wills has gone to the bridge and reading your tribute to your beautiful boy has left me in tears.
He certainly was a warrior and a very sweet boy and gave so much even to us, just reading his posts made me feel that I knew him and love him.
Special hugs being sent to you and of cause Belinda xxx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Barbs, so sorry. What a wonderful tribute to your wonderful boy.
Run free wee boy.xx
AnnS
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So sorry, sleep tight Wills.

AnnS
tb
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So sorry Barbs, a fitting tribute for your special boy.
Run free Wills.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Barbs, you did everything that anyone could possibly have done and more, all the research and understanding of his health problems, never giving up on him. Wills had a great life with you, Dave and Charity, he wanted for nothing, Love in abundance every minute of every day. Although it was only for five and a half years, it was a life time for Wills.
He knew you all loved him, and he loved too, the understanding between him and Charity was indeed something special as was his devotion to you.
That special part of him that remains with you, will be there for ever, he'll never be forgotten.
Run free sweet boy, we'll always remember you xxxxxx

Beardie Mom
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tears here too , from us both as we have had the privilege to meet Wills 3 times ... So we know what a very , very special boy he was.

Barbs and Dave , I know your hearts must be so heavy , and Charity's too bless her , but your tribute to him is magnificent .... With every health setback that Wills had its plain that he got through them because of you both and your love and care for him .. And I must also add that in your experiences of Wills' problems you helped so many others who faced health problems with their beloved Beardies ... Thank you x

None of us have these precious friends with us for long enough , and I know both you , Dave , Charity and Wills deserved longer together ... But... my goodness ... imagine if you had never had it at all ... every precious year Wills had with you must be worth a thousand .

Big hugs , to you both , a nose kiss to Charity and of course to Belinda ...another wonderful thing Wills did .. He brought together friends

Run Fee beautiful boy ... You touched a lot of lives , and made them all the richer x

Last edited by Beardie Mom on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
ahj
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What a lovely tribute to your beloved and special boy. Run free, sweet Wills.
rachael
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Run free Wills, thinking of you

Scruffymuffins
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Barbs, I've just read your beautiful tribute to Wills through floods of tears Crying or Very sad I hope you don't mind but I thought i'd post the pic I took of Wills.xx

Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm so sorry that your beloved Wills has gone. What a lovely tribute and I also had tears. It's always so hard to say goodbye, but in the end I think they tell us it's time. The thought that Wills lived to a grand age after all he's been through is a tribute to you, as without your love and care he wouldn't have. I really feel for you and send you and your o/h a huge hug.

Thinking of you.xxx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So sorry to hear this, thinking of you
Run free Wills x
Sue x
Beardie Mom
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sandie that s a fabulous picture x

and heres one from the same holiday ...Wills on the far right ( Dylls too bless him, he's at the bridge too )

Last edited by Beardie Mom on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Clovertor
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, Barbs. Was only thinking about you recently - always on Mondays thinking is it the one Wills is in the clinic - and meant to get in touch again. We've spoken so often about our boys, both dreading this, so I was so upset for you and Wills when I saw last night, and Charity of course. I still don't know what to say. I'm so sad for you. Give Charity a squeeze from me. xxxx
Love to Belinda x

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lovely photo of the Warrior Sandie, and a lovely one from Jill with Dylls and his uncle Wills in the line up. So special these dogs xxxxxx

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic