The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Tails From The Bridge - Chapter 1 - the arrival View next topic
View previous topic
Kentish Sue
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tails From The Bridge

As many of you will know we lost both our beloved bearded collies, Harry and Sadie late last year – their loss left us completely devastated especially as they were both only 12 and we had dedicated our lives to them when they were both adults – we never had them as puppies. I loved blogging the on-going sagas of their relationship onto the FBC and with their deaths I thought it would be the end of all that - but - in a lightbulb moment I thought well you cannot keep the gobby git quiet for long so why not let Harry blog from his version of The Bridge. I have never read the poem – it upsets me too much so this version is very much made up of the contents of my brain and Harry’s. I have included, with the owners permission, some of the beardies and other dogs into the story lines – if you would like to see your dogs in the coming chapters (I have a few in the pipeline) then please email or pm me with any info you can give me about them and I will weave them into the story lines as best I can. I will never approach newly bereaved owners – but I have asked some people whose animals passed away some time in the past. I would prefer none of this gets onto Facebook as I want to keep it on here amongst the people who knew Harry and Sadie well but if you feel you want to forward it to anyone out there please feel free to do so. I have put a little message at the end of the blog about a childrens version – obviously this version is not suitable for youngsters. I have put very little punctuation on this one – it slows me up and despite two O’levels in English 45 years ago life is too short to stuff the preverbial mushroom.

OK Harry – it’s all yours - take it away.................................................

Ooooh what’s all this then? Where am I? This path – where does it lead? Questions, questions questions going round my brain. It’s lined with flowers, it’s a bit uphill in places and very very peaceful – I don’t do peaceful – I create noise – lots of it – and chaos.................... anyhow onwards and upwards I walk – looking up there are rainbows and unicorns, pixies, fairies sprinkling glitter Glitter!!! Get that stuff off my fur................Parakeets, such brightly coloured beautiful birds flying around – swooping up and down - oh no one of them has crapped on my fur now!!!!! I swear I hear violins and is that a gospel choir in the distance? It’s all a bit too much happy clappy for me.
Getting to the end of this pathway – I notice I am not alone – there are others walking along behind me – hold on who is that – I recognise that apparition- flaming heck noooooooooooooo – it can’t be – it bloody is – I would recognise her anywhere – the look, the body language, the colouring....................in all that is holy – its Her Ladyship, The Duchess of Kent, Breaksea “Hot Wheels”, the Ginger Whinger, ‘Er Indoors, Spinster Of This Parish and Bane Of My Flippin Life. She looked at me with her gimlet eyes – her body rigid with indignation – What took you so long she uttered – well excuse me but up until you popped yer clogs in September I was fit and healthy – it all went a bit downhill from there – but I am here now – whatever here is........It’s The Bridge – a very special place blah blah blah – her words were going round my head – I wasn’t really taking it all in and then I noticed – OMG – sitting just behind her – another bloody ginger – watching me...............oh crikey surely not a clone – please please no – Sadie saw me looking and said oh by the way this is Gilly’s Maddie – similar colouring to me – perhaps a bit darker – and she is now my bestie...............I looked over my shoulder to see if I could do a runner back the way I came but realised that would over-complicate things ...............................so with a heavy heart I went to follow her Ladychops and her sidekick into some sort of reception area. This is when I noticed something that made the fur on the back of my neck stand up........two rows of smiling teeth.....now Sadie didn’t do smiles – she curled her lips and then she bit – so this was all different – a bit rictus – she had obviously been practicing – oh the smile she said – yes we are not allowed to bite – we must smile at all times here so this is the new me – biting is soooo last year. Righto she said – I will leave you in Reception to get booked in – there are two members of your family here to help you – I will catch up with you later...............and with that the Rictus Twins turned their tails and headed out the other side.
I stood alone wondering what could possibly go wrong next – and then I saw him..............................Shilstone, The Countryman .....................my granddad Tom.....................a doyen of the show ring - a prime example of the perfect bearded collie show dog.........beautifully groomed and standing there all magnificent and majestic – a legend in his lifetime (and there is me covered in glitter and bird crap) my only claim to fame - a legend in my own lunch time - alongside him is my lovely mum Chelsea – Atherleigh Cornflower. I gulped nervously – I hadn’t seen Tom since I gave him a right good pasting before we parted company in March 2006. One of my orificies was twitching badly – oh please don’t let me shit here – and my back legs were giving way. Tom looked at me and then did something I wasn’t expecting and certainly didn’t deserve – he offered his paw and shook mine – I don’t think he does Hi Fives – then slung a leg round my shoulder and said come on young whippersnapper let’s get you booked in here and then we can have a little chat on the other side – my mother shook her head from side to side and then said gently – Harry we will have to talk – but that can wait til later................. I had forgotten that Tom spoke in clipped British tones like a BBC announcer circa 1950 – and they call me Posh Surrey Boy - but he is streets ahead of me in terms of class. I began to relax, the orifice calmed down, and I was booked in pretty quickly – name, date of birth, last known address and scanned for my microchip. As we turned away I saw (thank the lord) my old mucker Wills – he seemed to be sitting on something – a bag – aha I know what’s in there – he gave me a wink – and whispered see yer later – I have the goodies. Nice one Wills. Alongside him was what I thought was a beardie that had shrunk in the wash – legs too near the ground sort of thing – no bigger than a loaf of bread – it was baring its teeth and muttering sosssssiiiiigies – and the language was terrible – turns out this was LucyYorkie – Jude the Dude’s dog – she apparently hangs round reception trying to terrify everyone......................but more of her later. Okay said Tom – you are all booked in – now we will go over there into the other world and I will explain everything to you.....................and with that, Me, Tom, Chelsea, Wills and the loaf went through a door and what I saw took my breath away.................................................
............................................................................................................the next chapter – in which:
I meet up with Sam the PON
The Gruesome Twosome drive me mad
I settle in and learn the rules
First Christmas and New Year at The Bridge
............................................................................................................Caroline, Harry’s mum and breeder has said there is no children’s version to explain to them what happens when their pet passes away – obviously this is not a suitable one for them – but if anyone wants to cherry pick bits out over the coming weeks and put in other scenarios that would be appropriate and put together something that could be used – then I have no objection. I have never written for children but will always help in anyway if anyone needs it.

Never Forgotten:
Harry, Shilstone Cornishman
Sadie, Breaksea Hot Spice

Devon-Maid
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sue...that is wonderful...am sat here grinning like a Cheshire cat. Cant wait for the next chapter about them all especially what the Gruesome Twosome have in store for Harry. Lucy Yorkie will keep them all in order Smile

Wonder if our Annie might like to illustrate your storys Cool Very Happy

GILLY ,MARK, MACKENZIE AND TALI
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Brilliant Sue -ever thought of writing a book?? Harry and Sadies Adventures - just a thought petal. x

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
munchkin
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sue that was lovely, why I am sat here crying I don't know but I loved it, what a softy I am.
Can't wait for the next instalment

XXX

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Awwww - lucyyoirkie so enjoys hanging around Reception, getting her own back on everyone who ever stood on her.... Very Happy

Aww Sue. Lovely. xx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bloody brilliant mate …just fab x

Mac & Tali
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sue !!!! ... Fan-bloody-tastic !!! x
The Gruesome Twosome with rictus smiles .... the "Loaf"... goodies stashed in bags....Posh dogs with "Alexander Palace" accents .... and who is .... dan dandandan daaaaaaan.... Sam the PON ???? Shocked

This is so good I want to swear on air ! Embarassed... LOVE IT !!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I will leave the writing to you Sue but I do have one word.... Brilliant x

They just put nightlights on to show us they care.
kathryn
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Love it Sue xx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Love it Sue! Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What a brilliant idea Sue Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You are just so talented. Loved it. Laughing You really should write a book.

Hampam
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Aw Just loved it Sue Smile
Rip Van Pauline
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That is fab Sue I feel a book coming on .... x

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good to hear from you, Harry Hazbo - great to hear you have been reunited with your alter ego, Miss Sadie. Looking forward to hearing how all the rest of our hairies are passing their time at the Bridge - now don't you go leading them astray, Hazbo.

Well done, Sue.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Smile really make me think of my furry friends that have crossed the bridge.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thoroughly enjoyed reading every word ..was brilliant Sue and Hazbo..you really should try your hand at a book Sue xx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sue I copied and pasted that and sent it to us! It's a bit late to read it now, should be in bed! Rolling Eyes I'll read it properly tomorrow.xx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Out of this world Sue - I am gobsmacked. (And that doesn't often happen!)

Mary
xxx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sue, this is just lovely reading this. I can just picture Hazbo being larger than life there. Looking forward to reading many more Tales in due course.

Barbs
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

More great writing Sue - really lovely. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so there was a bit of both, but loved it!
xxx
Scruffymuffins
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Barbs wrote:
More great writing Sue - really lovely. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so there was a bit of both, but loved it!
xxx

Same here, I smiled through tears.xx
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

still teary here, but in a totally " bring it on " good way

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ohhhhh just lovely Sue.....that's the way I imagine heaven is.

Bonnie Gus and Jager xxxx

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic