The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Tails From The Bridge - Chapter 2 - settling in View next topic
View previous topic
Kentish Sue
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We all walked through an opening and I gasped at what I saw.....................miles and miles of green open spaces with lots of different animals wandering around. Wall to wall sunshine – but not too hot – and lots of shelters in the distance – just what looked like giant marquees without the walls. What are those? I said. They are the dining areas Mum said – sit down and I will explain in it all to you in a moment – Tom and I settled by a bench, Wills and the Loaf disappeared to give us time to talk. Mum went off briefly and came back with a bowl full of kibble – I expect you are hungry so eat up- there is a bowl of water over there too. I munched away and when I had finished Mum told me about the dining areas – just go over and help yourself when you are hungry Harry – there are bowls stacked up. It’s all kibble or veggies – no meat here as an animal would have to be killed and no animal loses its life up here. The veggies are all grown on the allotment and any animal which likes to dig – be it dog, cat or even voles are free to go and have a rummage. You can eat any of the kibble – there are no allergies as every animals tummy is set to normal up here – no illnesses at all – so no vets needed – we are all healthy – although I have to say most of us dogs avoid the kibble beginning with B as we cannot forget the feeling of the itches it gave us. The other shelters are the sleeping ones – we tend to stick to our own breeds but you can sleep in any shelter you like. There is an enormous cushion like the one you had – just collect it at night, grab a water bowl, a biscuit to eat last thing and a poo bag. A poo bag why? Just in case you need to go in the night – go outside and pick up after you – put it in the bin nearest – but mum – I never picked up my own poo before – well you do now she said and if you want a wee please use the places allocated – if you get caught short you must hose it away. Those are really the only rules – apart from respect all others. Mum then collected my bowl and trotted off. I turned to Tom – Grandad....I...I..I am so sorry for the way I treated you before. That’s fine said Tom – you learned a valuable lesson about the pecking order – now we will never mention this again – all your Asbo’s have been discharged and we will start with a clean slate – you have grown up to be a real gentleman of a beardie boy. Chelsea re-appeared and I just had to ask her – how come Sadie was waiting for me? Well no animal is allowed to enter here alone – they are always met by family or friends – we knew you were on your way and so did she but she asked to meet you as she is really fond of you - you know so we let her – but we were only just behind her. With that Chelsea said I must go and join my friends in the knittery over there – we sit there most days chatting or knitting – but I will come and find you every day to check up on you – with that she trotted off. Tom and I sat in the sunshine for a bit and then he called Wills over – Wills, Sir! I like the cut of your jib but I know what is in that bag of yours I wasn’t born yesterday – Yes Sir, no Sir.....I mean.........listen boys will be boys but I don’t want Harry too badly influenced..No Sir. So keep it hidden because if Chelsea sees it she will be most displeased........okay? Yes Sir. With that Tom got up – Wills stood up too – clicked his back legs together and saluted Tom who laughed and wandered off. I just fell about convulsing – don’t know what you are laughing at matey – you dropped a curtsey.............did I? OMG how embarressing – I must stop doing that.

Wills picked up his bag and said come on lets go and relax by the river – we set off, Wills settled down by a rocky outcrop by the waters edge and started fishing tinnies out of the water – keeps ‘em cool he said – and the fags are hidden under the rocks. We laid back in the sunshine, reading our mags, drinking the beer and blowing smoke rings. All of a sudden there was a rustling noise with Wills panicking and waving frantically to blow the smoke away, hiding the mags and tins. Behind us stood a smaller version of me – same slate colouring, shorter, squarer and with a stumpy tail. Hi I am Sam the Polish Lowland he said to me, extending a paw which I shook. OMG Sam The Polish Lowland – Jeddep cool Dude himself – my predessor – he who must be revered – I bowed, I scraped, if I’d had a hat I would have doffed it...............hey at ease young Harry – don’t worry about me – I heard you had arrived and thought I would pop over and introduce myself – but I cannot stop as I am off with the other PONS to round up some cattle – we all need the exercise – he pointed to a lot of PONS waiting for him patiently in the distance – I will come and find you tomorrow – here? He said – we nodded – we can talk about the good old days at the homestead. And with that he trotted off. What a nice dog said Wills – and I just had to agree.
On the way back we spotted The Stig Sisters – they were driving Wurzel’s Quad Bike which had once been a pristine white but the girls had blinged it all up with pink stickers and diamontes. They were donutting it round in furious circles with maniacal expressions on their faces – smoke pouring from the wheels – Sadie was driving it, Mads was on pillion and Wurzel the poor bugger was hanging on in the body of the Quad gripping the framework tightly with his front paws - his body, back legs and tail flailing out behind him – I swear he looked terrified.
Then they shot off in the distance....................do they often do that? I asked Wills – all the bloody time he said – they are dreadful – that poor dog.
With that we trotted off for our tea – and then to bed. I found my cushion, bowl, biscuit, flamin poo bag and settled down to my first night at The Bridge............Wills settled next to me – LucyLoaf ended up sleeping on my cushion as she was lonely and I slept peacefully. Chelsea and Tom were in the row behind us so I felt really chilled and relaxed.

The next morning I wandered off to find Sadie and found her and the Mad one herding some well dogged sheep. Wurzel was sitting watching them at a distance...............his beloved Quad abandoned in a ditch with three wheels in it – why do you let them do that to it? I asked – take the keys away and hide them. No point he said – they would hot-wire it anyway. Plus my dad is a stunt man and although he never did that to us dogs I watched enough of him trying to destroy his own body for it not to worry to much – he has done far worse than them. Besides being brought up in an all male family we never understood women none of us but I have a sneaky respect for those two – they are feisty. Do they often herd the sheep – all the time he said but the funniest one was when the sheep herded them into the pen and would not let them out – neither had the brains to jump out – I left them howling for hours until I felt sorry for them................nice one Wurzel...........................

Next week
Sam and I compare notes - and take the pee out of mum sue
Wacky Races - you have not seen anything like this before

Never Forgotten:
Harry, Shilstone Cornishman
Sadie, Breaksea Hot Spice

Heidiwuff
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Sue you've done it again - my sides ache from the laughter ... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mine too - it was brilliant - what a first night for dear Harry Very Happy Fancy Wills leading him astray. I will be thinking of Sam and Harry discussing life afloat. Well done Harry for letting the Loaf sleep on your bed .

Love the adventures of the Stig Sisters - Maddie Mad Dog and Sadiechops make a perfect pair .....if Maddie could not ride pillion she would be biting the tires on the quad...one of her favourite occupations, though frowned upon by us. Evil or Very Mad Poor Wurzel - think he might find them a bit much !

Harry will be so spoiled by his Mum Chelsea and granddad Tom.

Looking forward to the next instalment

Gilly, Mark, Mac and Tali xxx

GILLY ,MARK, MACKENZIE AND TALI
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Awwwwwwww Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lol Sue, I just can't see your Sadie collecting her poo bag Laughing I bet she has a blinged up porta loo, pink and faux fur trim.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Sue that is brilliant..had me smiling throughout xx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another great instalment. I could almost see the pictures in my head as I read Smile Smile Nice one Sue Smile Smile

The Hairies
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sue, that is beautiful. I can imagine them all being there together. Looking forward to the next chapter.
Thank you
Sue xxx

kathryn
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Brilliant Sue, I to have all the pictures in my head Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow Sue you certainly have a real gift with this story writting. What an imagination Could make a film too. x B

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You are so talented. Wonderful Very Happy

Beardie Mom
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dodie Smith, eat yer heart out ...lovely Sue xx

Barbs
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh gawd ... why is it always my dogs setting the bad example Shocked Embarassed Wink !! Tinnies? Smoke rings? Well, at least I suppose some respect for elders has been retained Rolling Eyes !

Sue, your writing always conjures up such clear images and I'm loving all the characters appearing ... really lovely! Looking forward to the next chapter xx
JulieC
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Promise to read this at the weekend; it needs my undivided attention - roll on the weekend (well Sunday - first aid course all day Saturday Twisted Evil )

Rip Van Pauline
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great part 2

Very Happy

Joybells
Friend for Life