The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Bravecto & Lepto 4 View next topic
View previous topic
Joybells
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is really scary and so upsetting to read about all these beloved creatures who have suffered from these treatments.

A few years ago I needed to treat Millie before going to Devon where there are lots of ticks. My new vet in Derbyshire prescribed Bravecto and I used it. At least I tried to but no matter how I tried to disguise it Millie spit it out. The instructions said not to break it up but the tablet was huge. I tried cutting it into smaller pieces but she still wouldn't take it. In the end I ground it up and fortunately there was no adverse reaction. I have never used it again, in spite of my vet sending me routine reminders that a dose is due.

I try to avoid putting chemicals into my body; I will hope that by doing the same for Millie I am not endangering her.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a problem I am pondering about now with Zebo. So far, his only wormer has been Drontal and his flea treatment has been with Advantage. Neither of these products are going to be suitable as he gets older and we set off on our travels - France (and their vicious ticks ) is one of our favourite destinations. Our two previous Beardies were treated with Milbemax and Frontline Combo but then they were older when these stronger chemicals came into 'normal' use and I still found that ticks attached themselves!

My thoughts at the moment are to get a wormcount done at the Lab before using anything stronger than Drontal and then to get him tested for the MDR1 gene before using Milbemax etc., etc., etc.

Unfortunately, our garden is very popular with slugs and snails and I know Zebo has had at least snails in his mouth already which he has brought inside and I have had to extract them from his jaws!!! The garden is very, very large and it is impossible to be with him every time he is out enjoying himself. I could fence a small patch off for his use but that will not stop the slugs and snails from slithering in! To make matters worse, we have a wildlife pond which is full of the usual toadlets and froglets which are developing fast and will soon be off on their travels and I believe they are another source of lungworm. Sad I think most of the adults have had their fun and gone off already.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's good that you are thinking seriously about options. Deffinately avoid the Bravecto as that has been killing dogs worldwide. I am currently using Billy No Mates for fleas and ticks but I realise that if you are planning to travel abroad that wont be suitable. I will have to leave any advice regarding that to others who do travel with their dogs as mine never leave the UK. With the lungworm it's good to realise that not all slugs and snails will be carrying lungworm so don't panic. Do you know of the incidence of lungworm in your area? You could always check for the lungworm with Wormcount on a regular basis, I'm sure Zebo will grow out of his snail fixation as he gets older.

My youngster had a reaction to both Drontal and Panacur, after having him MDR1 tested clear I used Milbemax (actually my vets equivalent milbeworm) and he had no reaction to that.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, I did read up about the incidence of Lungworm in this area and noted that the local vets had only had two confirmed cases so it is obviously not a bad area but then, when you take into account that we are a very rural area with a very low population density (lots of sheep though) and couple that with the fact that not all pet owners choose to visit the local vet. practice - I use one about 25/30 miles away - I wonder just how accurate this picture is.
Perhaps I am just being a bit over-protective of my 'little treasure' but I would prefer to be safe than sorry as I would never forgive myself if something did happen which I could have prevented.

One thing I am sure of, my garden must have more than its fair share of the lungworm carrying critters! If I did go out during the night hours, especially after rain (and we get more of our fair share of that here Smile ) I could easily fill up a bucket!!

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Same here, we are rural with plenty of sheep and cattle, we also have the high snail population Twisted Evil

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Shirley

We travel to France with Dougall and Fergus a few times a year. Our vet always uses Drontal as a wormer which we are happy with. We have made a mental note to make sure we know the brand before it is administered as they don't usually tell us what it is they're giving.

In terms of ticks, we usually use Fiprospot which has always worked up to now. We have been told there is possible heartworm in the next département to us, but apart from protecting them the first year of our travels, we don't now.

Derwendolly
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In the past, I have always taken my own worming tablets with me - Milbemax - but then, my old dogs were well used to this and it didn't seem to affect them. Most of the vets in France have been agreeable to use mine as it is what they would have supplied but how they will react to me using something they do not usually use, I do not know.

Because Zebo is so young, I will not be getting his passport just yet so it will be November at the earliest before we go over this year.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think Milbemax is one of the ones not recommended for Beardies. There are previous threads on Milbemax.

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

DoubleTrouble wrote:
I think Milbemax is one of the ones not recommended for Beardies. There are previous threads on Milbemax.

Yes it shouldn't be used unless they have been MDR1 tested clear.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would stick to what Suzanne has used already which in our case was Drontal wormer.

We use Advantix on Mackenzie and Tali for keeping the ticks away and have not had any adverse reactions.

GILLY ,MARK, MACKENZIE AND TALI
Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Gosh I have NEVER used any of these products on any of my Beardies. Just remember that they are all poison , and get into the bloodstream. Have used Advantage, but only IF they get fleas. Has always worked well, have any of you looked at alternative ways? I only have the first vaccination done too, Parvo etc.
I think that's why they've always been healthy and live long. Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Threebeards wrote:
Gosh I have NEVER used any of these products on any of my Beardies. Just remember that they are all poison , and get into the bloodstream. Have used Advantage, but only IF they get fleas. Has always worked well, have any of you looked at alternative ways? I only have the first vaccination done too, Parvo etc.
I think that's why they've always been healthy and live long. Smile

Hey Pam, same here Very Happy I use Billy No Mates as a flea and tick deterent (herbal mix) and only use Advantage if they do pick up fleas usually from some dead animal they have come across Evil or Very Mad I use wormcount to test for worms and so far have not needed to worm them, other than pups of course.
Puppy vax only and then titre test from one year.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's good Jacquie, I have always used Drontal wormer too when they are pups. Don't worm them as adults.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic