The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Sadie's MOT View next topic
View previous topic
Kentish Sue
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well my beardie chums this morning, as Dad was snowed in from work, Mum decided that today was a good day for them to take me up to the vets for my yearly checkup on my Incurin tablets - these marvellous little tablets had successfully stopped me dribbling in an embarressing girlie way but the vet had asked that she just cast a glance over my nethers before my new prescription.

We left Harry behind as he would only cause chaos at the vets so we left him hurling himself at the inside side of our back door. I didn't know I was going to the vets mind - I thought we were just going for a ride in the van - and I love going for a ride - so it was with great excitement that I sat between Dad and Mum in the front seat. We slid about up the road but the view of the fields all snowy was wonderful. We saw some horses with their thick coats on galloping along in their field - mum forgot her camera worse luck.

At the vets I was pronounced fit and well having had nethers, tummy, heart, ears, eyes, nose, teeth and gums checked - I have a clicky elbow joint so I am apparently going to be started on glucosamine and Mum is trawling the internet for the best prices - the vets one was almost a monthly mortgage!!!! I was weighed (20Kg) and I have lost a few Kgs which everyone was pleased about cos I was a tad porky a while back and now I am trim and perfect for my age and size.

When we came out of the vets Mum walked me down the lane next door to it where all the snow was absolutely perfect although regular readers know I prefer to be tucked up indoors but we had a nice walk although I was glad to turn round and go back to the van.

Mum took Harry out on his own once we got back home as he was by that time in orbit and a frenzy of excitement.

Well that's my day - now I am back indoors and loving it.

Sadie
ps Mum has found Glucosamine 1000mg (I need that dose once a day)
6.99 for 180+180 free. It sounds a good price and better than the vets by miles
Harry will get the same dose too as we are the same age.

Never Forgotten:
Harry, Shilstone Cornishman
Sadie, Breaksea Hot Spice

Broadholme
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is it glucosamine HCl? I buy the HCl 1000mg for 12.95 for 360 tablets from Healthspan (usually codes for a few off in magazines or papers too)

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sadie - glad to hear that all is well with your nether regions Laughing

Tell me...what is the secret of your weight loss...and are you bringing out an exercise video in the near future Question Wink Laughing

Kentish Sue
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi - Mum found the tablets on simplysupplements.net/Pets - just says its Glucosamine - she is open to advice on here for which are the best ones.

Sandie - I think I will leave excercise videos to the stick thin glamorous celebs who don't need to lose an ounce but want to preach to the rest of us and make us feel bad about ourselves. I just have a nice walk a day, chase Harry about indoors and eat a balanced diet with the occasional raid of the kitchen bin and what I can pinch off the kitchen worktops!!!!

Life is too short to stuff a mushroom as my mum says as she pours another glass of wine............

Sadiechops, Breaksea Because I'm Worth It

Never Forgotten:

Broadholme
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think they are Glucosamine Sulphate which according to our vet and other info i've found is less potent that the HCl.

Cheapest i've been recommended are these:

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/joint-care/glucosamine-optiflex-hcl-1-000mg-shellfish-free/ProductDetail-p1545864-c124.aspx

Our dog's (and us) have been on these for quite a while plus MSM and OH noticed a huge difference in his knees

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/other-joint-care/msm-tablets-800mg-the-perfe/ProductDetail-p338-c125.aspx

These are also good. I use them with MSM for Millie who has arthritis and she is so far coping on these without other medication:

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/ProductDetail-p300-c142.aspx

We've tried Devil's Claw but didn't see a benefit and will try cartrophen if Millie needs anything extra in the future.

Hope that helps Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thanks Suzanne - Mum will look into the information you have put - she would rather get tried and trusted recommendations from beardie owners.

Sadie

Never Forgotten:

Cornish Cleo
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Sadie

Pleased to hear that your MOT went well - and how trim are you these days, at just 20k? Exactly the same as me and I am just a young whippersnapper.

My mum says that she awfully pleased to hear that your mum, while believing that life is too short to stuff a mushroom, has not yet succumbed to the false adage that life is too short to pour a glass of wine (or three Very Happy )

My mum has been known to stuff the odd mushroom (generally for vegetarian guests Rolling Eyes ) but she does believe firmly that life is too short to plump a cushion Shocked This is rather unfortunate, as I find plumped up cushions MUCH more comfy and tempting to lie on Wink

Give my hero, Harry, a sniff from me - and thank you both for offering to come to defend this young Apprentice yesterday.

Looking forward to seeing you both again in Cornwall in the Spring - though Mum says I will get to see your mum again in March, which I am very excited about cos she just gives the best cuddles Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Jago - Willowmead - and yes you certainly are Laughing

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Sadie.
Good that your MOT went well... Am i BIG? I Weigh in 22k! Sad Sad
Shocked Shocked Do you think i should cut off the treats Wink ..i don't think so... altho britt does! Wink

Do you have loads of snow like us?
I have been on 3 walks yesterday! And today for some reason britt's been at home, don't know why but looking out side theres white stuff falling from the sky - do you understand that?

Harvey Cool

Beardie Mom
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Sadie chops...you supermodel you !! Great news the doggie doctor was pleased with all yer bits and woohoo you for getting all trim...and any pics from Mummy to show us the svelte new you ?

p.s.....Angel is 19 and a half kilos already...Gawd help us !!

Hi Sade's...Blimey am I sorry I had the implant !!

love Boo
xx

dawnJ
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hm a beardie workout video now that would be one to watch!!!Although some days just watching Moses and tom playing makes me tired!!
My border collie had 6 monthly cartrophen injections and i was told it works for some and not others .within 3 days the results were amazing (he had HD and arthritis when we got him aged 10) and i didnt need a calender to remind me when the 6 months were up it was obvious.
We did start giving him a glucosamine tablet and it was 75 at the vets we bought it!I didnt know about online vets back then (2003) but did know an RSPCA inspector who said he would order some and sell it to me cost price -45!!!!!(See theyre not all bad!)
Glad to hear you passed your MOT Sadie!

http://coleparketernallegend.blogspot.com/
Clovertor
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sue & Sadie - glad the news was mainly good Very Happy

CJ - what's with the Rolling Eyes for vegetarians??!!

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Clovertor wrote:

CJ - what's with the Rolling Eyes for vegetarians??!!

Carol - ask Jago, it was his post, not mine Laughing And HE is definitely not a veggie Laughing Laughing Laughing

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Silly me - you are forgiven! Laughing

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad you passed your MOT Very Happy

Janet & Merlin
Terrijane
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Sades glad you've passed your MOT whatever that is Question being a young thing whenever I go to V.E.T Confused Confused I get stuck with a needle yuk, mum was very interested in this Glucosamine stuff - not for me you understand I'm far too young, but my Border Brother is a lil bit older than me and is showing signs of stiffy joints in his legs - can mum get ordinary hooman glucosamine? I suppose that would be ok what do you think? ooh and Buz wants to know if they go down quick Wink Wink Gottaa look after the ole boy ya know Laughing Laughing Laughing

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have used Dorwest Mixed Vegetable Tablets on my Golden Retriever for Years. They worked really well.
Rosie is sadly no longer with us, but she had a long and happy Life
Rip Van Pauline
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad you passed your MOT.
Michelle vet in Canada told her togive her dogs glucosime (spelling!!) and to buy it from the health food shop 'cos it was way cheaper than his...........we gave it to our Golden Retreiver for a long time

Pauline

ps Sadie if you run out you can have some of Rons and a cod liver oil capsule if you want it Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Always nice to know one's nethers are OK. Rolling Eyes

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
AMinter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glucosamine is great, i usually get it from https://www.naturesupplies.co.uk. Cheap and works well for the little fella

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic