The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Teeth cleaning View next topic
View previous topic
Mcook

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What are opinions on cleaning teeth ?
Jake is a very excitable 7 month old and I know it would be a nightmare to try to clean his teeth. Any suggestions? Mary
Derwendolly
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a very active 14 week old and the breeder told me to begin by training him to show me and then let me examine his teeth. Then, when he got used to this, to use my finger to gently massage his gums (he's only got baby teeth). At this stage, I was told to let him just feel the relief on teething gums and then, when his adult teeth come through, to start to use my finger with DOGGIE toothpaste on it and then a baby's SOFT toothbrush, but NEVER to use human toothpaste.

Although we have not reached the stage of adult teeth, I have prepared by getting her recommendation of the toothpaste from Dorwest herbs.

So far he has accepted the 'show teeth,' he even did it for the Vet, and having my finger around his gums. Fingers crossed, he accepts the next stage when his adult teeth come through.

Good luck! Smile Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very good advice there, the only thing I would add is to say be careful when he is teething as they can get very precious about their mouths at that time Laughing

You can get microfibre toothbrushes impregnated with silver ions which are usually better accepted than a normal toothbrush, so might be good at least for starters. I use Petzlife oral care gel/spray you can put the gel on the microfibe brush to spread it over the teeth and give them a clean at the same time.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When he is a little older it might be possible to teach him to accept a battery powered toothbrush.

I did this some years ago with a five year old rescue and more recently with a rehome when she was about two. I found this much easier and more effective than the method I had been using previously.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jacquietwig wrote:
Very good advice there, the only thing I would add is to say be careful when he is teething as they can get very precious about their mouths at that time Laughing

You can get microfibre toothbrushes impregnated with silver ions which are usually better accepted than a normal toothbrush, so might be good at least for starters. I use Petzlife oral care gel/spray you can put the gel on the microfibe brush to spread it over the teeth and give them a clean at the same time.

A microfibre toothbrush - that sounds very interesting, I will have to do a search to find one of those as it sounds much better for a first experience. Thanks for adding that.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very good advice from Shirley, I got some finger things online from a company in the UK. and they were good. Just things you fit on the finger to massage the teeth.

I THINK.the name of the place was LINTELL or something, sorry not much help. Confused

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think this was the site Pam was talking about ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lintbells-YuCARE-Cleaner-Natural-Antibacterial/dp/B004W78EFK

It is pretty much a matter of gently getting the puppy/dog used to having things in his or her mouth, slowly...there may be wriggling and gagging ( puppies, Rolling Eyes Smile ) but if you just persevere gently, then one day you will have a dog which accepts it...and it is so worth while doing Smile

Remembering Betsy and lucyyorkie and Our Lovely Sue xx
Derwendolly
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That looks very interesting Smile Smile Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

judy g wrote:
I think this was the site Pam was talking about ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lintbells-YuCARE-Cleaner-Natural-Antibacterial/dp/B004W78EFK

It is pretty much a matter of gently getting the puppy/dog used to having things in his or her mouth, slowly...there may be wriggling and gagging ( puppies, Rolling Eyes Smile ) but if you just persevere gently, then one day you will have a dog which accepts it...and it is so worth while doing Smile

Yep that's just what I was talking about Judy Wink Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy I remember getting Betsy used to tooths cleaning - what a carry on, you would have thought I was trying to poison her Very Happy

Remembering Betsy and lucyyorkie and Our Lovely Sue xx
Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ahh that's the one Judy, they are really good.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ordered and now I wait to see what happens. It certainly looks to be a very acceptable way of doing the job. Smile

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic