The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 kidney problem View next topic
View previous topic
freddyteddy
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

we were at the vets today and they still dont know whether Freddie has hypothyroidism as the blood tests came back in the normal range so they are retesting but they have also done a kidney check as he already has kidney problems and suggested he go on a special renal food so we are trying royal chanin. Has anyone got experience of kidney diets and have you any suggestions as what else he can have to eat as he doesnt seem very fussed on a plain diet. I was wondering about supplementing with sweet potato and vegetables
beardielady
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What is the kidney problem?

Lots of information here: http://dogaware.com/health/kidney.html and here: http://dogaware.com/health/kidneydiet.html
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

He should be ok to have some cooked chicken, any protein needs to be high quality. Hope you get some results soon.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My Hartley was diagnosed with kidney problems at about 9 and our vet prescribed Waltham's renal support. He lived for another 6 years, but I have no idea how great a part the special diet played.

Do hope you find something to help.

Joy

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It seems that Freddie has got E coli pyelonephritis and possible subclinical pancreatitis. He is now on antibiotics and already seems a little bit better.
The vet wants him to go on a renal diet as he already has proteinuria but he will not eat the Royal Canin special food......it seems he needs a low protein diet ...anyone any ideas for food menus that fit this that is not boring and will tempt him
Joybells
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Difficult to assess how much they enjoy the food but Hartley always ate the Walthams without any hesitation.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

freddyteddy wrote:
It seems that Freddie has got E coli pyelonephritis and possible subclinical pancreatitis. He is now on antibiotics and already seems a little bit better.
The vet wants him to go on a renal diet as he already has proteinuria but he will not eat the Royal Canin special food......it seems he needs a low protein diet ...anyone any ideas for food menus that fit this that is not boring and will tempt him

My Benji amongst other things was diagnosed with the early onset of kidney disease back in March and like your vet said he needed a low protein diet and was prescribed the Hills one designed for kidney disease and i slowly introduced him to it and now is on it fully but there's plenty of info on the internet if you want to home cook ,you also need to heavily cut down on foods that contain phosphorus.. the Hills comes in i think 3 sizes and we got the 2 kg one first to see how he went so might be an idea to try Freddie on that. Though Benji is eating the Hills KD kibble i will eventually go to home cooked foods especially as i now have 2 dogs with AI conditions and feel it will be easier to add the supplements they need that way ..Benji is diabetic and was diagnosed hypothyroid at the same time as his kidney problem

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is the Walthams food now known as Royal Canin because I have tried their kibble and the tinned wet food and he says "no way!!!!"
Derwendolly
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have no experience of feeding dogs needing special diets but you might be interested in looking at the Fish4dogs website. All food is very high quality and is delivered nationwide by parcel post, and they do a list of Sample Packs @50p to help him try before you buy. Some of the food is dry and some is wet. My little boy was reared on these products by the breeder and he adores them! As the name suggests, fish is the main ingredient! Zebo gets raw mince added to it but the strong fish smell seems to really get him excited for every meal and, so far, I have had no difficulties whatsoever. At Doggy School, the trainer offered him one of her treats for being a good boy. It was sniffed and refused!! I had to give him one from my Training Treat bag - based on the fish.

I have no idea if it is what you need but it is certainly has the taste factor for my little man and it just might be worth a read of the web site for you.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I fed our Bichon a raw pre-made diet ( Nutriment low purine/phosphorous) He loved it, he hated the Hills diet. He went for a long time after his diagnosis. Hope you find something suitable.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic