The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Grrrrr Photobucket View next topic
View previous topic
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Photobucket is holding my lovely siggy photo, which was created specially for me by Mark, to ransom....apparently no one can post/send photos etc to third party wotsits unless you now pay a subscription fee!

Disgusted of Devon
Evil or Very Mad

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

judy g wrote:
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Photobucket is holding my lovely siggy photo, which was created specially for me by Mark, to ransom....apparently no one can post/send photos etc to third party wotsits unless you now pay a subscription fee!

Disgusted of Devon
Evil or Very Mad

Yes and that subscription is $399!!! Lots of problems on another forum I'm on, most of the photos, including siggies, have disapeared! Twisted Evil

It seems they have banned 3rd party hosting from the free/low subscription accounts. I don't know how I will get photos onto the forum now Confused

You may be able to save your siggy to your PC Judy, view the image and click on the download button it should save to your computer.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

highway robbery, I calls it Confused

Mac & Tali
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Being as i am, British, and therefore have an upper lip that is sturdy and unwavering ... I will not ... nope ... hhhhughh ... nope, i will not cry into my beer Crying or Very sad ... But to paraphrase a close friend from the colonies ... I wan-tuh murduh de bums ! Evil or Very Mad

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Oh how genteel of you, MMM - I do believe my langwidge was a tad more colourful...not suitable for the delicate ears 'n' eyes on here Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jacquie, my laptop only saves things to " the cloud "....not gonna do THAT, either.....So. Does this mean that everyone who has posted photos on here via Bhotof...sorry, Photobucket Twisted Evil ....is going to find they are held to ransom, also?

Where is an ace " negotiator ", when you need them? grrr

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes I think so Judy, the concensus of opinion is that they are working through the accounts and eventually everyone will have this ultimatum. I only have a photobucket account so I can post on the forums so, as you can imagine, like you I am NOT PLEASED! Twisted Evil

My other forum is a rescue forum and they need to post photos of the dogs that need homes, all the old photos from 10 years are gone and there is no way of replacing them. Crying or Very sad I can't believe this is legal Twisted Evil

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's a link someone posted:

www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3013198/photobucket-wrecks-thousands-of-sites-with-usd399-ransom-for-embedding-photos

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is sick - the ramifications of this edict from on high are reverberating all over. I would rather lose my Truffe d'Or every day of the week, than have rescue societies and charities lose all their photos.

Sick. A bunch of greed-monkeys Evil or Very Mad

Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That's infuriating news, that! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I had noticed the mention replacing your avatar on your latest posts, Judy, and on Joy's too. Would Paul our administrator not be able to find another photo website we could use? My 2 French forums ("Les Amis des Bearded Collies", similar to the FBC, and "Solidarité Bearded" the forum of the rescue association I support) are linked to a photo website, we copy/paste our photos directly from the forum, there is an icon to click on in the space where we post comments and replies, and it's easy and quick to share photos with our friends. I suppose the same sort of thing would be feasible here, wouldn't it? Otherwise, in a while, when Photobucket has applied that dirty "ransom" trick to everyone here, this is going to be very dull and gloomy without any avatars, siggies or shared photos... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Mac & Tali
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The way they have gone about this is total garbage ... As a business model, alienating the vast majority of your clients has never been a wise move.
Until now, their income stream has been through pop up adverts, primarily, on the screens of the "Free" subscribers. Now, with millions of angry customers, my guess is that this source of income will plummet. Clearly, they have identified that paid subscriptions will be more profitable, but i am hoping that Joe and Joanne Public will tell them to shove it. Evil or Very Mad

If, they had said that existing pictures would remain and then gave a few months notice of the change then i would be more inclined to believe that they had some respect for their clients ... that's not the case though. What a bunch of....

Paul ... do you have any thoughts on how we can get round this ?

Mx
tb
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Seems they have been making it harder to post pictures for a while, I have already all but given up with them .

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When I joined this website, I asked how I could upload photos and transfer them here, and someone suggested either Photobucket or another website called tinypic.com, which I chose. It was very easy and quick to use and that is how I shared all my photos with you FBCers for months. However it proved not be very safe, or maybe I had not ensured it provided enough confidentiality, because all of a sudden it started changing the photos I had posted here - you may remember that one of my photos changed into a big black slug! Shocked So I dropped Tinypic and started using PB. I mention this in case some of you want to try this website. There are quite a few of them (one of them, called Casimages, is a safe one but I'm not sure if it is only a French one or an international one...

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I believe that Tinypic and Photobucket are owned by the same group...sigh

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

judy g wrote:
I believe that Tinypic and Photobucket are owned by the same group...sigh

It seems PB own quite a few. If changing sites make sure you read the T & C's .

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes - and word on the street says that now Photobucket has done it, others may well follow suit Confused

Joybells
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I haven't posted many photos recently, but the site has been fairly quiet so I was thinking of doing so soon. No chance now.

But I am also annoyed that they have had the cheek to add things to MY posts. Does that not contravene some regulation?

My only consolation is that my photos are stored on my pc or on a stick; better put them all on sticks in case Mr Microsoft jumps on the bandwagon. However it doesn't affect my option to add photos to emails so those who sometimes receive them will not be disappointed; You lucky peolpe Laughing Laughing

Joy 'n Millie

PS. Why is no-one else having this notice added???
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Joy, I had one where what used to be my Truffe d'Or golden nose was, that Mark made and sent to me - it was in my siggy photo area. I went into my profile page, deleted it and am back to just being Friend for Life....grrrr.

Mac & Tali
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Awww ... Judy, a "Friend for Life" ... Just one of the many things i can thank the FBC for ... (Better get a bucket) ... Wink Very Happy
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rolling Eyes Very Happy And my nose, though not golden anymore, is truly cold...

Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

From what I understand from your posts, PB is where you store all your pics, you don't use it only to send them to this forum or to other friends? This is even worse news for you then... Evil or Very Mad The person who installed all my software when I bought this computer chose to install FastStone Image Viewer as my photo library, which is a free software. I only use PB to copy my photos from my library and paste them here. Can't you remove all your photos from PB and open a new library to store them?

And has anyone contacted Paul to see if he suggests a solution?

Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ooopsss, another "attack" from PB: I've just noticed Gilly has got the grey warning box on her posts and her avatar and siggy have disappeared... Who will be next?... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

All of those who have used Photobucket over the years to post things on this site, I would imagine, Nina. One by one. I had noticed the ransom notice on a few people's postings a week or so ago, and it looks as if Photobucket are just working through their files, as it were.

As I understand it, the photos themselves ie, in a Photobucket folder, are safe but it is all those photos which have been posted on this site and on other sites that have " disappeared ". So, for instance, puppy photos from years ago no longer appear on the threads...we cant go back and look at them anymore. It also begs the question that now Photobucket has done it, will other image hosting sites follow suit?

Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I had a look earlier this morning at PB's Facebook page and it's total chaos there, an enormous protest is taking place with people writing their opinions from all over the world! I didn't read all the comments as there are too many, but some people seem to think that this unacceptable move is going to be the end of PB... There are also suggestions to use other image hosting sites which are (so far?) free.

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy the operative words being " free, so far " Confused

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic