The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Can dogs smell human emotions? View next topic
View previous topic
snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,

I just wanted to let you all know how I got on with my dissertation which was based on dogs being able to sense human emotions. I was hoping to get the help of beardies for my study as the Bearded Collie Club kindly agreed to me collecting my data at their Open Show. However strong winds at the time blew a tree over which landed on the roof of the venue which meant space was restricted so I was unable to do my study there. Thankfully I was able to enlist the help of a few other breeds at another venue.

I wanted to know if dogs were able to smell human emotions from our sweat. Similar studies have been done with humans and the results showed that women could identify menís emotional states after smelling their sweat. I had 24 dogs which were divided into three groups and each dog was presented with three absorbent pads in different orders for each group. Like the human studies I gathered sweat from my arm pits onto the pads while I was watching a horror film, which gave me the fear pad. I also took samples of my sweat while I was watching a comedy and this gave me the happy pad. I also had a 3rd pad which had no scent on at all and had not been touched by a human, I had surgical gloves on at all times when gathering the samples.

The results were as I anticipated that there was a significant difference in how long each dog smelt the happy and fear pad compared to the pad with no scent on. There was also a significant difference in the time dogs smelt the fear pad compared to the happy pad. Dogs smelt the happy pad and the fear pad for longer than they did the pad with no scent on. They also smelt the fear pad for longer than the happy pad. I also observed and recorded all dogs behaviour during this time.

We could conclude that dogs are able to detect human emotions from our sweat. However this is much more complicated as when we are fearful we produce more sweat, so were the dogs smelling the fear pad for longer due to there being more sweat on there. When we sweat many chemicals, proteins, bacteria, sugars and some metals also come out in our sweat, could the dogs smell these more than any emotion.

We all like to smell nice and many of us use deodorants, perfumes and aftershaves and in cold whether we wear a few layers of clothes, how might all these disguise any emotions in our body odour. It may be more practical for dogs to detect our emotional states from our facial expressions, body language and behaviour. My dogs have never seemed interested in smelling my arm pits. Very Happy

It was a really challenging study with many variables to consider but I really enjoyed doing it. I think it is very possible for dogs to smell our emotional state from our body odour and there is a study by one scientist that goes some way to proving this, but how can we truly know what dogs are smelling with so many other scents being present at the same time. It would need someone to be able to isolate these emotional scents in some way to really know the truth.

Sorry this is just a simplified version of the study as it is many pages long.

I got a very good mark for my dissertation and passed my course. Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's interesting Chris, I know they sense moods. Come to think of it, if I'm a bit down in the dumps they always know, and have come to sniff me. Bentley always knew my moods, and always comforted me. They definitely know anyway. If you have a strong bond.

Smile

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

snowleopard wrote:

I got a very good mark for my dissertation and passed my course. Very Happy

Well done on your excellent result. Smile I hope you enjoyed doing all the experiments.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Firstly, absolutely fascinating...I am sure, if they can detect illnesses etc in humans, that they must be able to sense and differentiate emotions expressed in our sweat...so interesting that they spent the longer time smelling the fear pad...wonder if that was to see if they could recognise what had caused the fear? Really interesting, Chris...

Secondly, WELL DONE for getting a good mark and passing the course! That cant have been easy doing the research and compiling the results. Upwards and onwards xx

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done on your good marks too Chris, keep us informed. Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done Chris. I am convinced that they have abilities we don't in many areas. The little dog at the nursing home some years ago who used to go into folks rooms and lay on their beds knowing they were going to die before staff.
Mine study my face and probably attach a look with a scent. I am on constant steroids and attract midges etc as sweat smells sweet to the insect world Rolling Eyes
I wonder if drugs affects the outcome. I think it's great that dogs are being usd to detect cancers and illnesses. Dogs rock Very Happy

Well done again xx

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Congratulations, Chris! And yes, it must have been very interesting to conduct that study!

snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks so much everyone for your kind words.

I did really enjoy doing the study it was great fun and the dogs all enjoyed themselves as well.

I was told by my school that I would not be able to work with animals as I was not academic enough to study at degree level due to being dyslexic, but it was not diagnosed then, well 30 years or more on I have done it and it feels great.

I have been studying for the past 11 years while raising my children. I started at the beginning and worked my way up in difficulty level and I have loved every minute of it. If I can find anyone who would have me I would love to continue studying.

Thank you

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

"They" also said Richard Branson wouldn't amount to anything Well done. Very Happy

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
tb
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done Chris.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done Chris on passing your course that is certainly an achievement Very Happy very interesting study too, there is so much more to dogs than we will ever know Smile

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Huge congrats Chris, you have proved "them" all wrong and most importantly proved something to yourself. A fantastic piece of research and so interesting. Well done! X

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Chris

It has been lovely to read this thread, I am so pleased that you have done well and in far more demanding situations then many have faced. Congratulations on "not giving up", that is something to be proud of.

Best wishes for wherever it leads.

Joy 'n Millie
Dorsetangels
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Fantastic Chris sovery pleased for you.

x

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Congratulations and well done Chris. I know the huge amount of effort it takes to do a degree course while having other responsibilities. xx

snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Itís been lovely to read your posts, thank you so much for your kind words I really appreciate it.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Smile Hey - not just kind words, we really mean them!

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So sorry to read this Chis, after all that work. Confused I think it takes compassion to do this too.

We have Mark Vette here in NZ nd he is famous. He trains rescue dogs and has made several TV series. He's in the UK at the moment apparently, doing another series.

He trains them with the clicker and compassion! He's amazing, and has even trained one to drive a car! Laughing
He has a website, and is on Facebook. Just google him. You might be able to get in touch? Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Pam and thanks for letting me know about Mark. I have had a read of his website and watched a couple of videos of him on Youtube. I have not heard of him before and he seems qiuet calm in his approach which I like.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done Chris! You so deserve it.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm so pleased you found him Mark. Do any of his series get shown over there? I believe he's over there doing another series, he works wonders, and trains animals for adverts.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Pam,

I have not seen his shows over here but I noticed on his website a photo of him with a British presenter so he may be on a channel I donít have as there seems to be that many of them now.

On Channel 4 here recently they showed a pilot program of a dog behaviourist, I cannot remember his name now. They were asking in my vets for people who needed help with their dogs and some of it was filmed at the top of my road, but not sure if it will be on again. We could do with a good program here on dog behaviour.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic