The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Anyone seen this before please? View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topicReply to topic
Author Message
snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 1302

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been cornered about Buddy for a while and wondered if anyone else may have experienced something similar.

Buddy may be asleep or just laying down awake and then suddenly jumps up like he has had a fright. He then runs to my son who gives him a cuddle and then Buddy is fine and shows no signs of anxiety afterwards. This has become more frequent and now happens every day usually at night. Last week he walked passed where I was sitting then next minute he came running past me to my son. He does not come to me or anyone else only my son.

Buddy has never been a nervous dog and shows no anxiety towards noises or anything so itís out of character for him. Also when this happens there is no outside stimulus that could be scarring him. His back legs seems a bit wobbly when he walks down a couple of steps like he is a bit uncoordinated. He is not stiffening up after exercise and is really fit other than this.

I was concerned the two things may be related and it may be signs of a neurological problem. My vet said that she cannot see any signs of a neurological problem but canít rule it out at this stage. She said it could be canine dementia but thought he was a bit young, but he is 10. She said his hips were a bit soar and we wondered if he may be in some pain which causes him to run for reassurance, he does not yelp when he does this.

He has been on painkillers now for a week and his legs seem a bit better when he walks out the house. His jumping up frightened has stopped at night but now he does it during the day and instead of running to my son he runs to the back door wanting to go out. Once out there he is calm and does a wee.

My vet said that he is in great shape for a 10 year old dog and is super fit but I worry something inside is going on.

Would appreciate hearing if anyone else has had an experience similar to this.

p.s I thought he may have gone of his food because of this but as he does this every so often I don't know if this is the case. But he is eating enough to sustain his weight and has eaten his breakfast for the last 3 days.

Thanks

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
Derwendolly
Master Friend
Master Friend


Joined: 25 Sep 2016
Posts: 220
Location: Wales-Carms/Powys border

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

snowleopard wrote:
I have been cornered about Buddy for a while and wondered if anyone else may have experienced something similar.

Buddy may be asleep or just laying down awake and then suddenly jumps up like he has had a fright. He then runs to my son who gives him a cuddle and then Buddy is fine and shows no signs of anxiety afterwards. This has become more frequent and now happens every day usually at night. Last week he walked passed where I was sitting then next minute he came running past me to my son. He does not come to me or anyone else only my son.

Buddy has never been a nervous dog and shows no anxiety towards noises or anything so itís out of character for him. Also when this happens there is no outside stimulus that could be scarring him. His back legs seems a bit wobbly when he walks down a couple of steps like he is a bit uncoordinated. He is not stiffening up after exercise and is really fit other than this.

I was concerned the two things may be related and it may be signs of a neurological problem. My vet said that she cannot see any signs of a neurological problem but canít rule it out at this stage. She said it could be canine dementia but thought he was a bit young, but he is 10. She said his hips were a bit soar and we wondered if he may be in some pain which causes him to run for reassurance, he does not yelp when he does this.

He has been on painkillers now for a week and his legs seem a bit better when he walks out the house. His jumping up frightened has stopped at night but now he does it during the day and instead of running to my son he runs to the back door wanting to go out. Once out there he is calm and does a wee.

My vet said that he is in great shape for a 10 year old dog and is super fit but I worry something inside is going on.

Would appreciate hearing if anyone else has had an experience similar to this.

p.s I thought he may have gone of his food because of this but as he does this every so often I don't know if this is the case. But he is eating enough to sustain his weight and has eaten his breakfast for the last 3 days.

Thanks


I have to report that this sudden jumping up sounds very much like how my beloved Cracker behaved, although she was almost 15 years old when it began. I used to call her Dementia Dog, although she was otherwise very fit and active. She did live on for another 3 years, although, looking back on it, I do believe that this was the start of her ' neurological deterioration'. I finally called it a day when she was just 2 months short of her 18th birthday and she had an early morning severe 'attack' and lost all sense of where she was and what she was doing. She did come round but was not really back to 'normal' and I chose to let her go as I did not want to her to go through this very distressing incident again.

_________________
Shirley
View user's profileSend private message
snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 1302

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you Shirley for letting me know about your Cracker, sorry to hear about his journey.

The other week when we had all gone to bed except for my wife Buddy jumped on the sofa next to my wife. He has never in 10 years even tried to get on there, once up he just sat there looking into space, my wife recorded him on her phone, he seemed in a different place.

I hope that if this is the start of a neurological problem for Buddy that it is not too fast and I get to spend some more time with the best friend Iíve ever had.

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
beardielady
Friend
Friend


Joined: 07 Aug 2010
Posts: 62

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Has Buddy had any blood tests recently? Has he had his thyroid tested?

Hypothyroidism can cause neurological problems and leg weakness.

Is his eyesight and hearing okay?

There is also....Addison's.... where they can act strange, have weakness, go off their food.

Is it around about the same time? Could Buddy's tummy gurgle and make him jump or perhaps he gets a sudden pain or twinge that sets him off?

Of course it could just be Beardie odd behaviour where something has spooked him and he is not going to forget it!

Might be an idea to check out his blood before going down the neurological route.

Sorry for all the questions.
View user's profileSend private message
Baillie's Mom
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 3859

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, a few times last ear Baillie was showing similar signs of very unusual behaviour and he was tested for Cushings, Addisons, Hypothyroidism and Allergies.

I must say his behaviour was very strange, he was acting a though he had had the biggest fright then another time he just jumped off the sofa, ran upstairs and hid in the corner of one of the bedrooms and stayed there for about 4 hours, nothing would tempt him out.

We were expecting the worst when the results came back but it turned out he was allergic to everything we were feeding him apart from Pork and Duck.

Baillie is fine now we changed his diet completely, even loosing the neck role that we thought was due to hypothyroid.

I hope you get Buddy sorted as I know how worrying it can be.

_________________
Stars are the nightlights of the angels,
they put them on to remind us that they're there.
All the pets we love who have past donít ever forget us.
They just put nightlights on to show us they care.
View user's profileSend private message
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 8972

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I cant help, Chris, but just wanted to send you and Buddy best wishes xx

_________________
WomanLovesNosesAnTruffes

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
View user's profileSend private message
snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 1302

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

beardielady wrote:
Has Buddy had any blood tests recently? Has he had his thyroid tested?

Hypothyroidism can cause neurological problems and leg weakness.

Is his eyesight and hearing okay?

There is also....Addison's.... where they can act strange, have weakness, go off their food.

Is it around about the same time? Could Buddy's tummy gurgle and make him jump or perhaps he gets a sudden pain or twinge that sets him off?

Of course it could just be Beardie odd behaviour where something has spooked him and he is not going to forget it!

Might be an idea to check out his blood before going down the neurological route.

Sorry for all the questions.


Thank you for asking the questions its good of you.

The vet said she will do some blood tests if he does not improve on the pain killers. His eyes and hearing seem good but itís interesting what you say about his tummy. When the vet examined him when she put her hands under his tummy just by his back legs he jumped and you could see he was sensitive there. I have just tried it now and he seems ok. It is around the same time each day, usually in the evening but for the last two days itís been in the morning at the same time near enough.

Thank you for your help and advice

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 1302

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="Baillie's Mom"]Hi, a few times last ear Baillie was showing similar signs of very unusual behaviour and he was tested for Cushings, Addisons, Hypothyroidism and Allergies.

I must say his behaviour was very strange, he was acting a though he had had the biggest fright then another time he just jumped off the sofa, ran upstairs and hid in the corner of one of the bedrooms and stayed there for about 4 hours, nothing would tempt him out.

We were expecting the worst when the results came back but it turned out he was allergic to everything we were feeding him apart from Pork and Duck.

quote]

Buddyís behaviour sounds very similar to Ballies. I am going to change his food so it will be interesting to see if that makes a difference in his behaviour.

Thank you very much

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 1302

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

judy g wrote:
I cant help, Chris, but just wanted to send you and Buddy best wishes xx


Thanks Judy

xxx

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 20 Apr 2011
Posts: 7979
Location: East Kent, UK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Chris why not try an elimination diet to see if it makes any difference? Just find one protein and one carbohydrate that Buddy hasn't eaten before and only feed that for a few weeks. My vet suggested I do this for Tala as she is a bit itchy for no apparent reason and I wondered if it was something in her diet. Problem for me though is that Tala has eaten just about every protein available so I couldn't do it.
Rolling Eyes Laughing

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 1302

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jacquietwig wrote:
Chris why not try an elimination diet to see if it makes any difference? Just find one protein and one carbohydrate that Buddy hasn't eaten before and only feed that for a few weeks. My vet suggested I do this for Tala as she is a bit itchy for no apparent reason and I wondered if it was something in her diet. Problem for me though is that Tala has eaten just about every protein available so I couldn't do it.
Rolling Eyes Laughing


That's a good idea Jacquie I could try that.

I knew I would get great advice from everyone, thank you.

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 13126
Location: Westport - New Zealand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe Buddy sensed something was going on with your son, Confused

They are very sensitive to our feelings too. Confused Sorry, not much help.

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 13126
Location: Westport - New Zealand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe Buddy sensed something was going on with your son, Confused

They are very sensitive to our feelings too. Confused Sorry, not much help.

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 1302

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Pam,

Dogs seem to like my son he is very calm and laid back. I think Buddy seems reassured by him. My two children are the ones who role about on the floor with him cuddling him so he loves them. I am the person who only walks him, feeds him, grooms him and he loves them more. Crying or Very sad Very Happy

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 13126
Location: Westport - New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes Chris, but do you give him love and compassion? Smile It all goes together.

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 1302

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I do Pam but they give him sneaky bits of food when I'm not looking so I don't stand a chance.

I knew for years they were giving him some food as both Buddy and Holly would go to them but it was only last year they admitted it. Shocked Very Happy

At one time we were going to rescue a Great Dane so the person from the rescue came to our home with the biggest Great Dane I had seen, he wanted to see our reaction to him. While talking to the person my son and daughter who were about 6 and 8 then disappeared with the dog. I went to see what was going on and they were all in my bed together with this huge dog slobbering all over my pillows. Very Happy

I can't compete with them Pam. Very Happy

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 3097
Location: Ardeche - France

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

snowleopard wrote:
I do Pam but they give him sneaky bits of food when I'm not looking so I don't stand a chance.

I knew for years they were giving him some food as both Buddy and Holly would go to them but it was only last year they admitted it. Shocked Very Happy

At one time we were going to rescue a Great Dane so the person from the rescue came to our home with the biggest Great Dane I had seen, he wanted to see our reaction to him. While talking to the person my son and daughter who were about 6 and 8 then disappeared with the dog. I went to see what was going on and they were all in my bed together with this huge dog slobbering all over my pillows. Very Happy

I can't compete with them Pam. Very Happy


Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing No you definitely can't, I'm afraid!!! I have this picture in my mind of a huge Great Dane slobbering on your pillows and can't help laughing out loud! Laughing

_________________
Image
_________________________________________
Nina, Foxy Lady, Miss You, Noisette & Biba.
View user's profileSend private message
snowleopard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 1302

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Iím glad it brought a smile to your face Nina.Very Happy

Sadly when they all came down the Great Dane drank about a bucket of water and left a river on the floor Shocked then proceeded to shake all his slobber all over the living room walls, we had to duck to avoid getting hit by it. Very Happy After that my wife said she had changed her mind so I could not have a Great Dane.Crying or Very sad

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 8972

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Was once told that if you dont want slobber on the walls and hanging in ropes from the ceilings, dont get a Great Dane.... Laughing

_________________
WomanLovesNosesAnTruffes

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
View user's profileSend private message
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 3097
Location: Ardeche - France

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Shocked Shocked Shocked That is the main problem with Great Danes and other breeds famous for that disgusting habit Wink - I used to leave Foxie at some kennels around here a few years ago when I couldn't take her with me for horseriding weekends for example, and there was often a young Boxer called Darius, very lively and playful, staying there at the same time. Darius and Foxie played durng the whole weekend non-stop, according to the lady who owned the kennels, and when I arrived home with Foxie on the Sunday evening... uggghhh... she was covered in dried slobber and had to go straight for a bath!!! Rolling Eyes

_________________
Image
_________________________________________
Nina, Foxy Lady, Miss You, Noisette & Biba.
View user's profileSend private message
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 8972

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ew ick... Mad

_________________
WomanLovesNosesAnTruffes

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
View user's profileSend private message
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 5931
Location: Northamptonshire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My Mollie will suddenly jump up and stare at nothing. She can then circle and go into a very tight ball in front of me. It's as if she is catatonic not responding to anything you say and do. S he has always done this, she is now 11 and very fit. I assume that she has either heard something in the fields that we can't or she can "see things" that we can't. Doesn't happen that often.

_________________
Image

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
View user's profileSend private message
Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 13126
Location: Westport - New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK.....I've come to the conclusion that it must be the onset of senility Confused

Our Meg started to act strangely too when she was about 14/15. She sort of "lost the plot" Whether it was because I was in hospital, and rather ill, I don't know. That's when she was P.T.S. Crying or Very sad I wasn't there to say goodbye. Sad

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 8972

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sad Pam (((hug))) xx

_________________
WomanLovesNosesAnTruffes

Remembering Our Lovely Kentish, Betsy, lucyyorkie and Danny Kaye xx
View user's profileSend private message
Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 13126
Location: Westport - New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Aww, thanks Judy.xxxx

_________________
Image
View user's profileSend private message
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicReply to topic


 Jump to:   



View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum