The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Incontinence View next topic
View previous topic
sarahbates
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Can anyone advise on incontinence pads/pants, seems to be a minefield and I need something for night time. Cleo is on propalin but also now on steroids so is drinking more. Daytime is ok, it's at night we need help
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to hear about Cleo, I can't help with the incontinence pads but have you tried Incurin? It's a replacement hormone so can only be used for spayed bitches but it is very effective. CSJ 'Hold it' has good reviews so may be worth a try too.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You might like to try putting something on the floor where she sleeps instead of actual pads on her. When they are on high doses of steroids they can be more susceptible to infection so do not want to add to troubles with a urine infection.

I have found these to be effective for putting on the floor, or even in her bed.

You can wash and dry these easily : https://www.incontinencesupermarket.co.uk/primacare-washable-bed-pad

There are also these: http://www.petmountain.com/product/dog-housetraining-aids/11442-517367/simple-solution-training-pads-for-puppies-and-adult-dogs.html

Other places sell them I just clicked on the first sites I came to.
Derwendolly
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My dear Cracker suffered from this problem and was put on Propalin too, but I was just not happy with it, so changed vets, and the new one immediately took her off the P and put her on Incurin. The difference was striking and she remained on a half tablet for the next 10 years of her life with no leaking at all. She was a much happier dog as she hated 'leaking'.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to hear about your Cleo, more and more spayed female dogs seem to become incontinent these days... Crying or Very sad All my friends here who have incontinent bitches use Incurin with great success. However, it has been out of stock in France for the last few months, for some reason nobody seems to understand, so French vets have been advising their patients to use the humain equivalent which can be bought from chemists'. A friend of mine orders it from an English online pharmacy as it seems to be still available there... Good luck to you and Cleo!

sarahbates
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you all for your replies - it was my mom Janice that posted the question and it has been really helpful. We will speak to the vet tomorrow to see if we can give her some other medication. Cleo says thank you too! Lots of love xxx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Sarah - as others have said Incurin is good for incontinence. Our Maddie became incontinent after being spayed aged 9. The vet put her on Propalin and when this started to become less effective he recommended Incurin . We used both for the rest of her life (aged over 15) We would swap between the two as and when it became necessary.

Gilly

GILLY ,MARK, MACKENZIE AND TALI
sarahbates
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks again everyone - Cleo isn't spayed so we don't think she can have incurin but we have called the vet to ask if there is anything else we can use. Thank you all for your advice x

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Can I ask what Cleo is on steroids for? Is it a low dose or high dose? If it is a high dose this will cause her to drink more and then leak more. Hopefully if it is a high dose then she will be weaned down and so you should see a lessening in the leaking and then hopefully back to normal.

It might be best to wait until she finishes the steroids before changing to another drug or even adding more medication. If she is on steroids because she is unwell it is probably best not to chance complicating matters.
sarahbates
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

She has just been diagnosed with Lymphoma - she is 14.5 so has been given the steroids to slow it down. She was only given them last week so 4 per day for the first week reducing down to 3 ongoing. She already has propalin so hopefully it may slow down a bit as the dosage is reduced. XX

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Soooo... Foxie has now joined the club of spayed female dogs who develop incontinence early or later in life... Crying or Very sad So far she has only had some kind of "micro-leaks", which mean a permanent powerful (and very unpleasant!) urine smell in spite of regular washes, and also frequent licking of the concerned area. Those 2 symptoms are what alerted me some time ago, and I took her to the vet's. She conducted all the relevant tests, which came out negative, and her conclusion was the early stages of incontinence. Foxie has been given a treatment of Incurin, one tablet daily for 2 weeks, to be reduced, increased or changed depending on how hse reacts. I have to call my vet tomorrow as the 2 weeks are almost over to let her know of how things are. I am happy to report that the awful smell has totally disappeared, as well as the frequent licking - she does lick herself but 'normally", if you see what I mean, not several times per hour as she did these past few weeks. So she seems to be responding well to the Incurin tabs.

However, I'd love to find an alternative treatment which is not hormone-based, something more natural, and I've heard of CSJ's "Hold It" being very efficient, as well as a plant mixture by Hilton Herbs. Has any of you tried any of them and if sp, which were (ore are) the results? Thank you!

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another thing you might like to look at Nina is Cornsilk apparently that's very good. There is also Phytopet Dry which is a tincture. I haven't tried any of the herbal treatments so can't comment on their effectiveness, sorry. Glad the Incurin is working though.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As I have said earlier in the thread, one of my previous spayed bitches was taking Incurin and responded well to it long term. However, as she advanced in years her hearing deteriorated which, to us, was a blessing in disguise as she was terrified of loud noises, thunder, rain, lightning etc.. She was on a very low dose of just a quarter tablet per day and was very happy. About 11 months before she died, she was then 17 years old, I had her at the vet for a reason I cannot remember, and he suggested that I stopped the Incurin to see if she would continue to do well without it. She did, then one evening, when she was lying on the rug in front of the TV, she suddenly reacted to a noise on the TV. For the next couple of weeks we observed her closely and, sure enough, at least some of her hearing had returned - after 10 years without! The vet could not believe it but did accept that she could indeed hear. The sad part was that she was a very unhappy dog now that she was being disturbed by noise. It was suggested that I restarted the low dose of Incurin ..... and all was solved, her hearing disappeared! The vet was left without an answer!
She died 8 months later, just 2 months short of her 18th birthday.

Last edited by Derwendolly on Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Shirley - fascinating account. And congratulations to you, 18 years is such a good age...

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That is very wierd, I have a spaniel who has been on Incurin for some time and she is getting quite deaf. She has just been taken off it to try to eliminate possible causes of another problem so will be interesting to see if her hearing improves.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That would be very interesting to follow. The returned hearing was nothing like normal but then she was 17 years old but it certainly made her react to the loud and sudden sounds on the TV and about the house. My vet could not offer any explanation at all.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Georgie is on Incurin, and it has worked. She no longer gets upset at being wet. She is also deaf but was before the Incurin, and like others, fireworks and any loud noises no longer send her into a jibbering wreck.

Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for your posts so far...

Jacquie, I've made a note of your suggestions and will have a look at them. I'd heard about the corn silk and its effects on health.

And Shirley, what an amazing story indeed, thanks for telling us about it! Shocked

Of course I'll stick to Incurin if I don't find anything more natural that is also efficient, especially considering that after a while, if the dog responds well to it, the dosage is drastically reduced - a friend of mine now gives her dog half a tablet per week! But if I can avoid hormone-based treatment... all the better!

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That sounds amazing half a tablet a week! Shocked The vet had Spryte on 1 tablet a day. Does anyone know of any other odd effects of Incurin or Cardisure for heart problems? That's another one Spryte is on, just wanting to eliminate the drugs she has from what's causing her problems.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jacquie, I know quite a few female dogs who are on Incurin, and here vets usually prescribe it at a rate of 1 tablet a day for a fortnight initially, and iff the response is good, the dosage is progressively reduced - my friend's Beardie taking 1 tablet per week is not exceptional!

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gosh Nina that just seems so low compared to what seems the norm here. I've had bitches on it before and it's usually 1 tablet a day for one month then down to half a tablet a day. Spryte was on half a tablet but was increased to one a while ago.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, after approx a month and a half of Incurin treatment, I am happy to report that Foxie has had no more "leakages" and she now takes one tablet every 3 days, which seems to be working well and which I find quite acceptable.

Jacquie, any follow-up on your Spaniel's hearing after she stopped taking Incurin?

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to hear Foxy is doing well on a low dose of Incurin Nina Very Happy I haven't noticed any difference in Sprytes' hearing as yet. Sad

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic