The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 COLITIS View next topic
View previous topic
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lizzie has colitis and I wondered what people do about it these days? I know one should withhold food for 24 hours .. which is hard when you have another dog to feed. She is on Canagest probiotic paste and tree bark powder with no improvement after 5days. She asks to go out every 2/3 hours through the night and I am shattered but worse than that I hate her being poorly .. she must be in discomfort. I thought about worming just in case. What do you guys think please?

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
Fran
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Gerrie, I asked Hazel (I think it was)about this ages ago and she recommended Paediatric Kaolin and then a light diet...chicken and rice although others swear by potato instead of rice. However, in this last three weeks,Polly has had several " touch of the squirts" moments but with no blood and without "the smell",which the vet says is characteristic of colitis.So I was thinking she has had a tummy upset and has managed to reinfected herself since the original occasion. I did read on the Facebook FBC this week ,that several people were having the same problem so maybe it's something doing the rounds.At the moment.Polly is eating,drinking and the rest as normal but if there is a recurrence over the weekend,it will have to be the vet on Monday just to check.Ps...if we have to starve her,the stair carpet is in great danger!!!!
Fran and Polly x
Fran
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

PS How're you doing? We still come down to Lynne's for kennelling about once a year Wink
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would normally do Tree barks powder or just plain Slippery Elm, which I find is sometimes better, plus a light diet as you have said. I would avoid the rice as they can't digest it unless it is really overcooked, potato or sweet potato might be better. I have just been experiencing a mild form of colitis with Tarak after he had a mild tummy upset, I happened to have some grain free naturdiet so tried him with that and it sorted him out. The vet suggested a light diet for at least a fortnight so he has been having the Naturediet plus cooked chicken or fish or raw green tripe. I add some carrot and sweet potato two or three times a week. He has been fine on this with his Tree barks powder added I am about to start him back on his normal raw diet now so we shall see...

When he had the tummy upset the vet gave me Canikur tablets for a couple of days, this is just Kaolin without any pre or probiotics which helped a lot. You can buy it online.

You could try some pumpkin if you can get hold of it, I couldn't find any.

I'm not keen on worming when they are poorly, maybe do a womcount to see if it's necessary? There is a possibility it could be Giardia, my vet told me about another patient she had with similar symptoms that they ended up treating for Giardia, but that is seven days of half strength Panacur so again I'd rather test before doing it (can't give Panacur to Tarak anyway, it makes him ill, but the Giardia test is expensive.

Have you any idea what started the colitis off Gerrie, it does sound very severe?

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Where do you get Tree Barks powder from ,Jackie,please?It sounds like a useful thing to have in the cupboard.Hazel used to say that pumpkin was good too now I come to think about it Wink Fran
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I get tree barks powder from Norwest Herbs.

Jacquie.. I have found that both girls have always been a little prone to it. Often in hot August weather. They can have it every 2/3 years. I understand that Beardies are prone to it? They havenít had anything untoward and Mollie is fine. I give scrambled egg which is plain and binding but itís not changing anything. I expect it will go soon. I might take a sample to the vet. There is no blood apart from her sore botty Sad

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes Dorwest herbs sell Tree barks powder but the last pot I've just bought was from Petdrugsonline, it was quite a bit cheaper from them.

Gerrie, it's good there is no blood, sometimes they get colitis from stress so maybe the hot weather in August would explain that? Can't say about beardies being prone to it as I've never found that to be so with mine. Confused It's possible that Lizzie has scavenged something that has upset her, I think that's what caused the upset with Tarak initially as he's never had it before.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gerrie, are you certain itís colitis? Roscoe used to suffer with it regularly and last week I thought it had flared up again so I took him to the vet. It wasnít colitis, he had an infected anal gland. The vet emptied it and he is on anti biotics for 10days.
Devon-Maid
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Our Tali suffers occasionally with similar symptoms. He however limits himself and we know he is not right as he will try to bury his food ! Our old vet used to say to starve for 48 hours from the last motion but I think that current thinking is that you don't starve them. Whatever, whenever either of the boys has an upset and is looking for food again I go straight to mashed/crushed potato and cooked white fish. You don't seem to be able to buy the paediatric kaolin any more but we get kaolin tablets from Superdrug ( its just simply Kaolin and Calcium Carbonate) £2.19 from Superdrug for24 pills Please note these do not have morphine or loperamide in them. I do the fish and potato twice a day for 2 or 3 days then once they have settled and their poos are improved I very slowly over a period of 3 or 4 days reintroduce their kibble and lamb etc

No idea of whether its the time of year but Tali has just had a few days of being off and I looked in the diary and he had a long bout of it the same time last year !

I have slippery elm in my cupboard but have not found it helps our boys whereas the kaolin in tablet or powder form does.

GILLY ,MARK, MACKENZIE AND TALI
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's interesting Gillie, sounds like the same as the Canikur, but a lot cheaper!

As you say for dire rear my vet says not to starve, the current thinking is that to keep feeding a bland diet will help healing.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks guys. Seems a few of us have experienced it. HATE when they arenít well, would rather it was me. Have put her fleecy Jim jams on and will continue with meds and will introduce the chicken and potatoes. But will go to vet if no improvement soon. Do come in with anything else. Hope to get a nightís sleep tonight:-/

Devon-Maid
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mine cant take any kind of chicken or chicken oil - cant get much more bland than white fish -all the supermarkets do white fish fillets in their freezers usually Pollock or Coley.

Have spent a fortune in the past and still keep a tube of Prokolin in the cupboard but find the tablets work better.

Something else I have done in the past is a little live yoghurt to help the natural flora in the gut.

Hope all ideas are still welcome Laughing

Mac & Tali
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gin and Beanz ?
Threebeards
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe try some probiotic yoghurt, that helps settle the stomach.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Gerrie is it deffinately colitis or is it diarrhea?

I agree with Gillie cooked white fish would be best if it is Diarrhea.

You could try some prebiotic/probiotic like this one:

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Protexin-Bio-Premium-for-Dogs/c761/?sct_t=1518349078&sct_q=probiotic+for+dogs&sct_r=15

Could she have developed a sensitivity to something (like chicken) in her diet or are you just feeding the egg at the moment?

Just throwing a few ideas in there

Smile

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It does seem to have been going on quite a while. How is Lizzie in herself Ė despite the diarrhoea is she still wanting food and fairly bright and energetic?
I also echo other members not to worm until checked.
Also keep an eye out that Lizzie does not become dehydrated as can easily happen when they have severe diarrhoea and if their food is being rationed.
As it does not seem to be improving I would be wanting to have her checked out at the vet. It will help to take a faeces sample. Also a blood test to check things out.
I would be tempted to stop the supplements, probiotics etc. for a while as they do not seem to have helped. Some dogs can be allergic to them.
Devon-Maid
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Following on from Beardie Lady's post above - I remembered that one year both our boys had upsets. Tali with a little blood in his poo and that typical smell they get when its a touch of colitis. As I have said he regulates himself as far as food is concerned which is good as I don't have to feel worried about starving him - but once he gets over the initial day of being squitty and is empty its always gratifying when nothing happens for a day or two .....anyway I digress.....Ken went down with an upset a few weeks later, his didn't clear as normal and he was obviously not his usual bouncy self. Took him to the vet and it turned out that his problem was in the upper intestine and not the lower as in Tali's case. Vet said it was an infection rather than a colitis and he gave him a course of anti biotics and it cleared up quickly. It really doesn't sound right that its been over 5 days now with poor Lizzie. Perhaps a visit to the vet is needed, he at least will be able to take her temperature and check her colour for you and tell you if she is dehydrated.

Its so horrible when our furries are not well and you wish that they could talk to you - please let us know how she is doing.

Love to you all xxx

Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Many thanks for all your comments. I have decided to go to the vet tomorrow if I can get in with a poo sample and take it from there. I had three hours sleep last night with her. She has been bright and bouncy but sleeping now and her nose is hot for the first time but Molís is too when she sleeps.

So what do you all think is the limit timewise for colitis? I donít think I know the difference between colitis and dire rear Confused

Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mac & Tali wrote:
Gin and Beanz ?

Sounds like a night out to me Very Happy what time?

beardielady
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A quick basic test for dehydration: stand your dog up, gently lift the skin up from their back and let it go again. It should spring back to its original position immediately. If not the dog could be dehydrated.

Another thing to watch for when a dog is having diarrhoea is that its electrolytes are not affected. You can buy some electrolyte solution to give to your dog or a homemade solution can help meantime. Dissolve half a teaspoonful of sugar and half a teaspoonful of salt in a pint of water. There are differing amounts recommended so you might want to check it out with your vet first. Also you might want to put it in a separate bowl away from other dogs.

You can check her gums: lift her top lip and gently push with your thumb on her gum and let go. The gum will immediately go back from a whitish colour to the original pink colour it should be. I find this a better indicator Ė how quickly the colour returns Ė then just looking at the colour of the gums or inside the eyelids as I find that they can look quite pale at times especially when cold.
beardielady
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Has the diarrhoea been the same all the time.....is it runny? How many times is she going in 24 hours and is it small amounts? A dog (or indeed a human) can have runny faeces for instance twice a day or they could have the same several times within a short time. It gets confusing because it can all be labelled diarrhoea.

It is good that she is bright in herself but I think you are doing the right thing getting her checked out as it should not be going on this long.
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

She barked to go out 8.times last night but sometimes she tries and canít go at all. Yes it has been the same all the time. Iíll be happier when she has been to the vet. I am such a worrybunny when it comes to those I love ...

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It sounds like diarrhea to me rather than colitis, deffinately a vet visit glad you are on to it Gerrie. With colitis there is usually mucus as it's an irritation of the large intestine.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gerrie wrote:
Many thanks for all your comments. I have decided to go to the vet tomorrow rest edited out by me ........... Confused

I was just reading this thread and thought this is just what happened to Hobbes Friday week ago.... However, I was so concerned that my little six month old puppy had caught some life threatening THINGY..... that I had him down the vet on the Monday morning as soon as they opened.

Of course I "over corrected" as they say in the forces.

The vet gave him a thorough going over and a shot of anti-sickness stuff, which by the time I got Hobbes home he was almost out for the count sleepy.

Anyway, the boy's fine now back to his usual mischief and eating like he'd never been fed in his life before. And I'm a few quid shorter but much much happier.

I hope that your visit to the vet brings and happy and rapid recovery to your Lizzie.

Robert

Smile Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I know what you mean Robert, I do the same. Thank you all for your replies. She wasnít dehydrated and gums were ok. She worried me last night with a hot nose and went all lethargic on me. I was in bed by nine and Lizzie went right through but never moved at all thro night so I was expecting poorly girl this morning and had a poo sample pot ready.
However Mollie then started and had me up every two hours. Mol is bright in herself and I was greeted this morning by a bright bouncy Lizzie tail furiously wagging .. phew Very Happy not even a poo to sample Very Happy . I shall keep a close eye. My knee has swollen right up and driving would have been difficult as I am on my own. They are being fed breast of chicken at the moment after a very empty day yesterday. Myself and a friend had dodgy tums too and so has their cat so letís hope this cold weather kills off some bugs.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic