The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Calming things down in the car! View next topic
View previous topic
Fran
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When Polly was a puppy,we had a big car/motor bike chasing problem when we went for a walk.With lots of patience ,treats and "WATCH ME" when a monster raced by,my OH got her out of the habit and she doesn't bat an eyelid on walks now .Fine ! But she has now transferred the herding behaviour from the pavement to the car,which makes it far more difficult to correct.Usually we have fifteen minutes of furious barking and then she settles down until the next lorry comes too close,like on the motorway.We get warning of motor bikes when they are a dot on the horizon !!! What I wondered was whether it would help to use some homeopathic remedy or Adaptil (can you use that in a car?) or can anyone suggest anything else? I'm a bit reluctant to give her sedatives. We're going away to Wales for a couple of days in a few weeks and I will have to sit in the back with her all the way and there's not much room for me when she's sprawled out Wink Bright ideas would be gratefully received. Very Happy
from Fran and Polly x
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can get an adaptil spray but not sure Adaptil would work for that situation as she obviousley finds it very rewarding Laughing

I would usually suggest someone in the back with her to stop the behaviour but it seems from what you say that doesn't work. Something that has been suggested is keeping the dog below window line or in a covered crate so they can't see the stimulous, probably not practical for you either! Sounds like she is reacting to the noise anyway?

Would a filled frozen kong distract her? Or some other long lasting chew.

You could have a look at Bach Flower remedies see if there is one that would help which may have more affect than homeopathy for your situation.

Hope someone comes up with an idea that will help otherwise looks like you are in for a noisy drive!

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Fran,

This behaviour is related to fear, anxiety and stress so very strong physiological changes taking place inside Polly as itís her survival instinct kicking in. Itís very unlikely that any of these calming products could have any influence over her emotional state in this case. It would be more beneficial if you could work with Polly in the same way you did on the pavement, although not as easy as you say. I am not in favour of drugs like sedatives unless really needed but even then I have seen vets prescribe them with little affect upon the dog as the dogs fear in a certain situation is just too great. Exercising Polly well before car journey may be of more help.

What I like to do first is ensure the dog is calm before getting into the car, as if there is any anxiety it may only get worse as you continue your journey and Polly may not be interested in food if her anxiety is too great. I would start on a very quiet road with no or very little traffic so you can sit in the back with Polly and then reward her for just being calm. At this point you dont really want to come across any traffic. Then you can build this up to a road with some light traffic on, as soon as you see the car or motorbike start rewarding Polly if she is calm and not barking until the vehicle has passed by. Once you can do this without Polly reacting you can then move onto busier roads and so on. It sounds like at the moment motorways are just too much for her. With this sort of behaviour it's important to be ware that because our dog may not bark anymore at traffic it does not mean our dog is over its fear, it may just be able to cope a little better. It could easily revert back to it's old behaviour if we move to quickly. It could take a long time for our dog to truly overcome its fear. We may need to work a lot longer with our dog than what we think we need to as just because the behaviour has stopped does not mean the emotion of fear has gone.

Once Polly starts to bark then itís too late, you may never stop her then as physiology takes over, you have to prevent her from barking in the first place. At first even if you only drive Ĺ a mile and then back home just rewarding Polly when she is calm would be great.

Good luck

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic