The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Insurance View next topic
View previous topic
freddyteddy
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can anyone recommend their insurance company
I have always had premium cover with £7000 a year and lifetime cover. The cost wasnt bad a few years ago but when my dog got to 11 it went up to £120 a month, last year £180 a month and this year £250....They wouldnt let me change to standard insurance so I have had to cancel.....so much for loyalty to that company for 13 years for this boy (and 10 for my other dog who we lost last year)
We have an 11 month old and his insurance is ok at the minute but I am changing when his is due as it seems the underwriters (Royal sun alliance) are the ones who set the premiums and quite a few pet insurance companies use RSA as underwriters and I dont want to be in this situation again by dog reaches 11 with huge increases.
Has anyone got insurance that has just gone up gradually without huge hikes in later years ...it isnt as though we have had huge claims ...just a few ordinary things such as conjuctivitis, anal gland abssess and a couple other things amounting to about £1,200 in 13 years .
I would be interested in hearing of anyones good experiences with insurance
Baillie's Mom
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Baillie is with a company called Bought by Many and is ideal for us. We had the same problem. Don;t forget though that if you do change insurer it may not cover you for any pre=existing problem. I now pay 43.00 month for whole of life cover.

They just put nightlights on to show us they care.
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have just cancelled mine after 12 years. They put it up £25 and when I queried it it was because they had a birthday coming up. I said stick it! I have never claimed. Decided to just take the hit if I have to.

I think if I have another dog I shall insure for the first two years then maybe put money to one side for any fees and hope for the best. Rock and a hard place eh Confused

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We use nfu mutual been happy with them so far (15 years) blimey is it really that long! Shocked the premium does go up when they reach a certain age but if you don't claim you get bonuses. Very helpful.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I looked at bought by many insurance but (like some of the others ) in the small print have a clause that says they can cancel your policy by giving you 14 days notice....so much for lifetime cover!
freddyteddy
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The problem seems to be when they get to about 11. Thats when it shoots up ! would happily pay up to £100 a month but not £250. I put a post on facebook a couple of weeks ago about it and this seems to be happening a lot from the replies I got
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry I meant the excess goes up at a certain age, I think it's 10, but it is a low excess anyway.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mine went up as so I cancelled it as I could not simply afford it.

Dogs and other animals are suffering because of rising vets bills and high insurance premiums. Vets say advances in medical treatment and the cost of medication has caused prices to rise but why do they charge £30 consultation fee for 10 minutes work?

Some vet behaviourists are charging over £400 to help your dog suffering from behavioural problems and then charges £150 for every session after that because they claim on your insurance but we all end up paying for it in the end and so do many dogs.

Animals are suffering because some of these practices are only interestined in the money and no one seems to do anything now for the love of dogs unless they can rip people off along the way.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quite agree Chris, most of the vet practices these days seem to be owned by big business and they are not interested in helping animals only making a profit. The vets have targets to meet and I am always worried procedures will be carried out that are not necessary just to meet those targets. Insurance has only gone up because the vets fees have risen so high because they know people have insurance! I get very cross but also worried now the only vet I could trust at our practice has left and gone far afield.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Fergus is insured with the Co-Op, who use the same underwriters as Pet Plan (Allianz) and their policy does seem a more cost effective version of Pet Plan. This year we are paying £513 for the year (but this also includes an extra amount for our foreign travel).

We have cancelled Dougall's insurance as the premiums got too high with his couple of claims. He was insured elsewhere though.

freddyteddy
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with Gerrie I have decided to insure my pup for the first couple of years.(with a different company)..possibly 3 until it costs about £400 and at the same time save the £250 I am saving on Archies insurance each month(Unless he needs vet care )and then as soon as it gets more money not have insurance. Someone commented on my face book page that as soon as they told the vet they were no longer insured the vet fees seemed to go down.
When I rang my insurance company (Marks and Spencer) to query the huge rise they blamed the underwriters who they said set the fees and it was suggested to me that I put the money aside instead as this is what a lot of people do with an older dog if the cost gets too expensive....seems to me that when they get to a certain age they don't want your custom any longer in case they have to pay out big time. This is after being with them for 13 years with Archie and 11 years for my last dog who we lost last year....so much for loyalty paying

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic