The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Another Home Required View next topic
View previous topic
Lelly
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

On DOGS TRUST there is another Beardie, looks like a cross (Neardie) , he has had a short back and side but looks so beautiful. His name is Bertie and is described as 5-7 years old and requires some behavioural training and his new family needs to be within travelling distance to Loughborough. He is apparently good with other dogs and extremely trainable so please ask around to find this boy a forever home!

About Bertie
Centre:
Loughborough
Breed:
Bearded Collie
Sex:
Male
Bertie may behave more like a working dog than a family pet but once you have a bond with Bertie he will become a super loyal friend. Bertie is mad on playing with toys and he really wants to work hard for them to keep him busy, so search work and tracking will serve him well instead of just a game of fetch.
Type of home needed
Bertie can live with a maximum of 2 adults only and can live with a dog in his new home, but no other pets. The considerations will be Bertie won't be too comfortable with unknown people interacting with him, there are times he wants to be left alone with his toys or on his bed and he won't enjoy walking down a busy street. The pros are that he is great with dogs, can be left a few hours, he is housetrained, mega trainable, loves his walks and is super enthusiastic. Bertie will require multiple visits to the centre before he goes home so we are looking for a home that is within easy travelling distance.
More about me
Bertie is a Patchwork dog - He has a combination of behavioural and training needs that together make a patchwork of requirements for his new home and family. He lives in a quieter area of the centre that visitors cannot access but please ask about him at reception. Bertie may not be available to meet on your first visit.
Robert
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for posting this. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a home for Bertie. However, it struck me that if we were able, we would want these questions answering before coming to see him as it is important to understand more about the circumstances leading to his current situation, for example:

Do we know why Bertie is needing a new home?
What is the cause of his homelessness?
Was his "short back and sides" as a result of his previous owners, some other issue?
You call him a Beardie then later you say Neardie.... surely he either is a Beardie or a cross.
Why is age unknown - 5 to 7 is quite and age gap.
Do you know the cause(s) of his behavioural issues and, precisely what are these behavioural issues?

Sorry if this is sounding negative but I think this is important for anyone who would want to give Bertie a home.

Thanks
Robert

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Robert wrote:
Thank you for posting this. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a home for Bertie. However, it struck me that if we were able, we would want these questions answering before coming to see him as it is important to understand more about the circumstances leading to his current situation, for example:

Was his "short back and sides" as a result of his previous owners, some other issue?
You call him a Beardie then later you say Neardie.... surely he either is a Beardie or a cross.
Do you know the cause(s) of his behavioural issues and, precisely what are these behavioural issues?

Sorry if this is sounding negative but I think this is important for anyone who would want to give Bertie a home.

Thanks
Robert

I am sorry but I don't know, you would have to contact The Dogs Trust, I just saw him on there and was hoping someone on here could give him a home. The description says Beardie but on another section of the page it states crossbreed. I managed to copy and paste their description which was good for me as my technical abilities are quite poor.

Thanks
Lelly
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Robert wrote:

Thanks
Robert

I am sorry but I don't know, you would have to contact The Dogs Trust, I just saw him on there and was hoping someone on here could give him a home. The description says Beardie but on another section of the page it states crossbreed.

Thanks
Robert
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lelly wrote:

I am sorry but I don't know, you would have to contact The Dogs Trust, I just saw him on there and was hoping someone on here could give him a home. The description says Beardie but on another section of the page it states crossbreed.

Thanks

Thanks Lelly. My apologies I thought you were part of the Dog Trust. I have now looked at their website and there is little there to go on as you say. It looks to me - and I am no Beardie expert - that this guy has uncommon colourings. So it is highly likely - I think - that he is indeed a cross.

Also it appears that something there happened to him that perhaps required sedation. The pic show a bald patch on his right fore paw. Perhaps his coat was so matted they needed to sedate him to give him his short back and sides. Which leads me to suspect this was a case of a real rescue to recover a dog who was either being maltreated, abandoned or some such disaster. Poor chap.

Also, from the picture he appears a little on the small side for a fully grown male Beardie... but then photo's are difficult to gauge from.

As I said we are not in a position to home him so I won't be pursuing this. I hope a suitable home is found for him soon

Thanks
Robert

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Robert I expect the anaesthetic was most likely to neuter him. I agree he does look small and to me more Tibetan Terrier ish Confused

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic