The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Grooming tips (looking for) View next topic
View previous topic
Robert
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all,

Just a silly question really but one that will save yet more wasted expense.

Hobbes has a lovely silky coat. We groom him every day after he has been hosed down following his morning walk... We allow him to dry naturally. Every now and then we shampoo and condition his undercarriage, muzzle, legs, paws and rear end... probably once a week. We have, since his coat got longer and thicker been to a professional groomer three times now too - she trims the hair around his privates and unmentionables, nice and short and she also clips his nails for us ... Smile

BUT

For the daily groom we have tried a number of "de-tangle" / "conditioners" all of which tend to have a nice aroma but end up themselves causing his hair to get a but stiff and tacky. And they're blXXXy expensive Smile

Without the detangle stuff his coat usually loses the sheen and silky feel quite quickly post groom....

So we're seeking some hints, guides, ideas about how to keep that really nice silky sheen.

Diet, grooming aids ???????

Thanks
Robert

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I hate to tell you this Robert but the silky sheen is most likely the silicon in the detangle stuff Laughing Beardie coats shouldn't be silky. My advice would be to get some of the special shampoo for removing the residue from his coat and then to groom him using a basic grooming spray, the Bearded Collie club do an excellent one if you can get hold of it. Adding some oils like Dorwest Omega Star or Yumega to his food will get his coat and skin in good condition. I'm not sure if you can still get them but years ago we got a little V shaped rake which helped with tangles or a good soft slicker brush if you're not showing.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I never used any grooming lotions on my Beardies, their coat should be harsh outside with a soft thick undercoat. Used to groom each one, once a week. They loved it. Very Happy

If you're showing which I did, a good judge should check coat, pick it up look for undercoat and check outer for couseness. Always got a stamp of approval. Very Happy

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the replies... Useful tips that I shall try. I understand the point about how a Beardie coat should feel and there is plenty of "coarse" top coat but around his neck, chest and ears and the socks of his paws, the hair is very fine and smooth....

I agree fully with the comment about residue from grooming sprays and it is this in particular I want to resolve. Will try the Bearded Collie club to get some grooming spray.

Again thanks

Robert

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

All I use is Organic Apple cider vinegar mixed with water and 5 drops of Lavender essential oil mixed together in a spray bottle

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy I use an organic apple cider rinse on my hair after shampooing - makes my hair very sleek and shiny....if that is any help...... Very Happy

Remembering all those we have loved xx
Robert
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

judy g wrote:
Very Happy I use an organic apple cider rinse on my hair after shampooing - makes my hair very sleek and shiny....if that is any help...... Very Happy

Ummmmm I love Hobbes dearly but that's a bit OTT expensive for a small bottle. Perhaps if it was a gallon or so... then may be Razz Razz Razz

Imagehow to screenshot on windows

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Shocked Blimey - think that is what they call The Mother!....proper organic....upon reflection, I akchewally use ( non-organic ) cider vinegar from the Kwop Very Happy

Robert
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

judy g wrote:
Shocked Blimey - think that is what they call The Mother!....proper organic....upon reflection, I akchewally use ( non-organic ) cider vinegar from the Kwop Very Happy

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes that sounds more like it Wink Wink Wink Wink

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing

Robert
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's the boy having an early morning dip the other day..... There was still frost on the ground but we (Hobbes that is) had been chasing a couple of deer and was a bit hot and thirsty..... fortunately, where I park up there is a ford across the river for him to paddle in.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I use a Pet Teezer which I got from Pets at Home. It has turned Fraser from a grooming hater to a grooming lover literally overnight. Several beardie owners I know have tried it and have bought their own.

maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

kathryn wrote:
All I use is Organic Apple cider vinegar mixed with water and 5 drops of Lavender essential oil mixed together in a spray bottle

I will try this on mine, especially Lilas, as she is also a bit itchy.

Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

kathryn wrote:

I love the idea, thanks for the tip, Kathryn, I will certainly use it next time I groom the 2 furry girls here (I usually groom them twice a week).

I try to avoid chemical products for them (and for me!), and at the moment I use a natural product-based detangling spray by Verlina, a French brand (not sure you can get it in the UK?) - no silicon, no scent, very affordable, and efficient as well.

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You seem to have some really good products in France that are not available here Nina. Sad

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Frasermum wrote:
I use a Pet Teezer which I got from Pets at Home. It has turned Fraser from a grooming hater to a grooming lover literally overnight. Several beardie owners I know have tried it and have bought their own.

Might give that a try then thanks... Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="Nina07"]
kathryn wrote:
I try to avoid chemical products for them (and for me!), and at the moment I use a natural product-based detangling spray by Verlina, a French brand (not sure you can get it in the UK?) - no silicon, no scent, very affordable, and efficient as well.

This actually sounds like a great product. I'm so going to give this a shot if they ship to the UK.
JulieC
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Robert wrote:

Will try the Bearded Collie club to get some grooming spray.

Hi Robert, this is the BCC spray. I use it on my boys. It's a listed at the bottom of the page (link below), though I buy the 5 litre size (see next page) and get it posted! Even with the postage it works out a lot cheaper than other sprays you can buy, and was recommended by Wizard's breeder some years ago. Though 5 litres lasts a long time Laughing

http://www.thebeardedcollieclubofscotland.co.uk/index.php/Beardies/shop-grooming/

I think you can buy it from other Beardie club events via their "shops", if that makes sense!

Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="Kendricks"]
Nina07 wrote:
kathryn wrote:

This actually sounds like a great product. I'm so going to give this a shot if they ship to the UK.

I don't see why they shouldn't! Have a look at their website, this is the product I use:

https://www.verlina.com/shampooing-toilettage/833-demelant-naturel-sans-rincage-chien-3760142324828.html

If you would like me to call them and ask about shipping to the UK, I'd be glad to help, just let me know!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic