The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Whi has heard of this book? View next topic
View previous topic
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A friend of mine on the French Beardie website is facing some sudden behaviour issues with her 4-year old rescue female Beardie and is looking for solutions. Someone has just recommended a book called "The Dog Listener" by Jan Fennell. Before she buys it, she is wondering who has heard of it, and what those who have think about it. I haven't but, as it is a book in English, I thought maybe some of you have... Thanks in advance!

Mac & Tali
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Our Nina ... I don't know this Trainer/Author but here is a link to a short preview of her book, it may give you an insight to the style and underlying principles of her training methods.

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_Dog_Listener.html?id=pyHOf8_zQqIC&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

and this link to her website ...
http://janfennellthedoglistener.com/pages/information/franais-66

Mxx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it very old fashioned, Nina I wouldn't recomend it, I bought it years ago and wasn't impressed with it then. I would recomend your friend looks for something more up to date. Patricia McConnell is good or Grisha Stewart, her Behaviour Adjustment Training book is very good. It does depend on what issues your friend is having. Jean Donaldson is another I'd recomend.

I bought this one some time ago but haven't had the chance to read it yet, the reviews are good though Very Happy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Train-Your-Dog-Positively-Understand/dp/1607744147/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1548104601&sr=1-1&keywords=Victoria+Stillwell

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you, Mark! My friend (whose English is good, by the way) had seen the reviews on Amazon, though. But I'll pass on the link to the website to her.

As for your opinion, Jacquie, I think it will be precious to her, The problem with Jouky, my friend Vioaline's Beardie, is that all of a sudden and for no apparent reason, she has started destroying cushions, mainly when Violaine leaves her at home (with her other dog with whom Jouky is good friends), but also sometimes while Violaine is in the same room! She can't explain this. OK, Jouky is easily stressed (she was very fearful when Violaine got her - apparenlty other pups in the same litter that she knows are bags of nerves, easily stressed or frightened too), but she has made huge progress since then about 2 years ago.

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's good to know your friend is making progress, it's always difficult with traumatised dogs but Vioaline sounds very dedicated. Smile I hope she finds a solution, I take it a medical condition has been ruled out?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic