The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Making the best of it into wk4 View next topic
View previous topic
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Your theory about why those beautiful eagles have short toes is worth looking into, Judy... A very scientific approach... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes, I am very lucky to have a lot of wildlife around me, especially birds. I haven't heard the hoopoe yet, althoufh they normally arrive here from Africa at the end of March - they are among the most beautiful birds that can be seen in this country, in my opinion. And of course the bee-eater is another one! Bee-eaters aren't expected here until early May and I'm lucky to live just below one of their migration corridors, so every year, during several weeks I hear and sometimes see (when they don't fly too high) large colourful groups of them above my garden, flying to where they have decided to nest...

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Very scientific, me.... Cool Very Happy

Bee-eaters - soooo pretty. We watched a programme about Colombia the other night and it featured bee-eaters. I have also never seen a Hoopoe. You have such a wealth of wildlife where you are.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow. Those birds are stunning nina.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes Judy we had a cuckoo every year until a few years ago and then nothing Sad I wonder if we will hear one again during these quieter times? Certainly the birds are much more noticable without the usual traffic noise. We have two pairs of blackbirds here that every year contest the territory, each pair thinking it is theirs. It's quite amusiing when sitting with a cup of tea to see them wizzing up and down past the French doors. Laughing They usually end up with sharing Rolling Eyes

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Very Happy I " have " a blackbird that does the first line from " I'm a Barbie girl " song...seriously it does. Then there is the predictable one with the phone ring tone.

Years ago I realised that my neighbour in the house behind, up the lane, was having an AWFUL lot of visitors - heard her garden gate squeak throughout the days...mentioned it to her finally and she furrowed her brows and said it was a blackbird, mimicking the squeak Very Happy It fooled her too, she kept going to the window to see who was coming through the garden Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I didn't know blackbirds could mimick noises! Here there's a jay living in the woods nearby who loves mimicking a buzzard's cry. He fools me eavery time! I hear a loud "Keeeew!", I look up to see where that buzzard is, and after a few repeated cries I realize it is the jay doing it as he resumes his own croaking noises! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Nina07 on Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing That jay has delusions of grandeur, Nina...my Barbie Girl blackbird...well...I sort of see him/her in white stiletto heels, capri trousers, biiiiiiiiiiig flashy gold earrings and an extravagent hair-do.....the one who does the ring tone seems to me to be A Serious Bird - possibly works on the Stock Exchange...Time is Money...Money is Time.... Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Love the photos of those gorgeous birds Nina.
I haven't heard the cuckoo yet, but the next village over the hill had one calling all yesterday afternoon. Going to keep listening Smile

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Swallows! Swallows are beginning to arrive. Saw a solitary scout a few days ago, and then yesterday another one swooped down the road....

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic