The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Frantic dogs View next topic
View previous topic
kathryn
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So...... with all of the latest storms we have been having I thought I would share what works for Poppy.
Bit of background.
Poppy at 5 month old had AIHA for 12 months, since then unless urgent she has had no drugs or chemicals, everything has been natural and plant based.
So. Thunderstorms and fireworks are horrendous for her and I tried everything to help her. After a lot of reading I ended up trying Baileys alcoholic drink. And yes it worked.
She is 19kgs and has one capful in her tea and another one an hour later and it relaxes her. No panting to the point of where I think she might have a heart attack.
She has never had a upset tum with it.
And as a mum, I am obsessed to the point of OCD when it comes to the care of Poppy and what she has.
So anybody out there experiencing this with storms or fireworks give it a go. It may well help your distressed pup.

Tuesday night was horrendous here and I forgot about the Baileys, I was up all night with her. Wednesday night I gave her Baileys and she was relaxed and calm.
Obviously different weight of dog equates to different measures but start around one cap or one teaspoon and work up till it helps.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kathryrn, I wish I had known that when I had Angus. He used to be frantic every time we had fireworks or a thunderstorm and used to try to go through the French windows to escape from the noise. He was a huge Beardie and I ended up having to hold him on a lead throughout for his safety which was an exhausting experience for both of us. I tried everything including the calming diffusers but nothing worked.
Heidiwuff
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wish I'd known about it when I had Heidi. She wasn't as traumatised as your Angus, Jan, but she used to lay under the table panting. I finished up getting a sedative for her from the vet for Bonfire Night time and also New Year, which up until a couple of years ago was horrendous. Needless to say she wasn't good with thunder either. Jethro just barks at it if he's outside, and ignores it when indoors, but its something I'll bear in mind for the future, just in case things change as he ages. Thanks Kathryn, glad it works so well for Poppy, its so distressing for us when our beardies are upset.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That is just amazing! I have tried about everything to help Foxie relax during a thunderstorm (and Miss You when she was still here - she was even more scared than Foxie). Baileys is now on my shopping list! However, are you certain it doesn't do any damage to our dogs' livers, Kathryn?... Of course it isn't as if thunderstorms took place very often, but here we have just entered the "stormy season", yesterday we had a huge one... So I wouldn't want to do anything wrong...

kathryn
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nina07 wrote:
That is just amazing! I have tried about everything to help Foxie relax during a thunderstorm (and Miss You when she was still here - she was even more scared than Foxie). Baileys is now on my shopping list! However, are you certain it doesn't do any damage to our dogs' livers, Kathryn?... Of course it isn't as if thunderstorms took place very often, but here we have just entered the "stormy season", yesterday we had a huge one... So I wouldn't want to do anything wrong...

No damage done to Poppy at all.
Lubinbeardies Verity has been using it for the last 20 yrs. No issues.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, thanks Kathryn! Is this the one you buy? (this is a French website but the bottle is of course the same everywhere, I suppose)

https://www.carrefour.fr/p/liqueur-baileys-5011013100156

Scruffymuffins
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kathryn i hope our little Princess doesn't have a drink problem Wink Laughing

Glad to know it's working, might have to try it on my two if they get stressed this year, although i don't usually like sharing my Baileys Laughing

beardielady
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kathryn, I started reading your post with interest as thunderstorms are not popular with my dogs. However I started to feel uneasy as I seem to remember that alcohol can be toxic to dogs. I presume you are talking about Bailey's Irish Whiskey? I have never tried this so I did a quick look on the Internet at the ingredients and they included something with chocolate. Also the higher the alcohol content the more toxic it can be for a dog.

It sounded like a good idea and I can understand your concern and worry about Poppy getting stressed, especially with her AIHA background, but I think I would want to find out a bit more, maybe have a chat with your vet?
kathryn
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nina07 wrote:
Ok, thanks Kathryn! Is this the one you buy? (this is a French website but the bottle is of course the same everywhere, I suppose)

https://www.carrefour.fr/p/liqueur-baileys-5011013100156

Yes thats the one. Xx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

beardielady wrote:
Kathryn, I started reading your post with interest as thunderstorms are not popular with my dogs. However I started to feel uneasy as I seem to remember that alcohol can be toxic to dogs. I presume you are talking about Bailey's Irish Whiskey? I have never tried this so I did a quick look on the Internet at the ingredients and they included something with chocolate. Also the higher the alcohol content the more toxic it can be for a dog.

It sounded like a good idea and I can understand your concern and worry about Poppy getting stressed, especially with her AIHA background, but I think I would want to find out a bit more, maybe have a chat with your vet?

The vet is aware.
And if you look at the main ingredient in most remedies its Alcohol.
Like I say she has a teaspoon on her tea.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The ingredient in most of my remedies is alcohol
Wink Can I join her Very Happy

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
kathryn
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gerrie wrote:
The ingredient in most of my remedies is alcohol
Wink Can I join her Very Happy

😂😂

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Laughing Laughing