The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Beardie cross? View next topic
View previous topic
Nina07
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

After 4 long months of being deeply sad I still can't accept the fact that my Miss You has gone forever. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

However, I can see that as time flows, Foxie would really like to share her life with another dog again and looks ready for it, so I am slowly getting used to the idea that maybe, yes, I might consider looking for a new friend for her. I'm not sure what kind of dog I would like - an adult dog, not a puppy, that at least is clear in my mind. I was thinking a Beardie cross might be a better idea than a "real" Beardie (too many autoimmune diseases in the breed these days... Crying or Very sad ). But I have no idea where to start looking for such a dog!

Last edited by Nina07 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Aw Nina, have pm'd you just now.

I think it would be lovely for Foxie AND you to have a new friend, and am sure that Miss You would approve wholeheartedly. xx

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What sort of dog do you want Ė medium size, long coated? Some Beardie crosses that are advertised have no Beardie in them! Also, unfortunately autoimmune disease are in most breeds, some more prevalent than others. It seems like a crossbreed is a safer bet but with some of the breeds you could be doubling up on the problem or other health problems. For instance Cockapoos, both poodles and cocker spaniels have health problems.

The other thing to think about is if you want an adult dog it is very likely to come with problems. You may be lucky and get a dog with no behaviour/health problems that needs a home purely because the owner died or an ex showdog but a lot of dogs need homes because of behavioural problems. Then you have to think how Foxie would get on with another dog. Puppies are easier to integrate.

I have no idea about France but it may be the same as here. I would start with the breed rescues and breeders. Even though you want a cross some of the time they can point you in the right direction or even have some Beardie crosses to rehome.

Sorry to be doom and gloom but unfortunately this is how bad things have become. Things might be better in France.
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's so difficult to accept another into your life after such a loss isn't it Nina? Good to think hard about who the next little friend will be so it's the right 'fit'. Why not another Lowchen or would that be to painful right now? Tibetan terrier maybe another option if you like the 'hairy ones'. I think with a cross you have to wait and hope one will pop up, be careful though if you really want a beardie cross as in the UK anything that looks a bit hairy is invariably called a beardie cross, as they are so popular, even though it could be anything but. If you wanted another small dog that is a cross then I can recomend Maltese crossed with a Lhasa Apso, we have one in the next village and she is adorable. So full of life and always happy, excellent temperament, she lives with a young child and is ideal for her, no malice whatsoever.

Good luck with your search I hope it pans out. Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about this, Jacquie and Beardielady. Although I am aware of the possible problems linked to choosing a Beardie (or other) cross, it does help to see them listed here, in order not to forget them! True enough too, rescue dogs often have behavioural problems... So... This is something that requires thinking about, I am in no hurry, and will take the required time. That being said, when I saw Miss You, 3 years old, advertised by her breeder (who has an awful reputation in addition!) for rehoming, I didn't think twice - she was the one!!! And Jacquie, you are right, another Lowchen would be too painful right now.

And to answer your question about the type of dog I'd like, Beardielady, medium-sized with long(ish) coat would be great.

Let's see how things turn out...

beardielady
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Some Beardie folk have downsized to a Havanese. Quite a drop in size but seeing as you have had a Lowchen...... I have no idea about their health problems though.

Unfortunately now is not the best time to be looking for a dog although some rescue centres say they are inundated. With the Covid-19 situation puppies and dogs for sale have become scarce. Also some despicable people have taken advantage of the shortage and are charging ridiculously inflated prices for them. It sickens me that dogs may be going to some unsuitable homes simply because someone is willing to pay all that money. Crying or Very sad
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have extended family in Cyprus and they ended up rescuing as they could not believe the neglect and cruelty over there. I therefore get tagged into little lost souls wanting homes. My Mol and Liz were to be my last dogs I decided and no dog could ever be as special as them. However, one picture shocked us, her little face was one big wound and her eyes were under loads of scabs. We were shocked. Another picture showed her off the streets and at the vets her longish coat had been shaved off and her sad little face was raw, red and hairless. She starred at the floor so so sad. Long story short .. Lucy is arriving here next Friday. We havenít met her yet but it feels so right and I am told that she is loving, happy and great with cats, dogs and children. Yes, we are heart led Rolling Eyes we still shed tears for the loss of Lizzie, four months now and it will always be with us but getting news on Lucyís progress has given us a focus and Moll needs another dog around, she still searches for her sister and is depressed. No idea what breed but a little soul who was ill treated and wants a loving home. Good luck Nina .. yes, go for it, someone out there needs you xx

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Woohoo, Gerrie! Welcome Lucy, when you arrive...heart-led cant be bad....we are going to need photos, you know...aww, good to hear this xx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Gerrie, I'm so happy for you and for your Molly! And of course for lucky Lucy who will find such a loving and caring family after living in hell... Do you know (even approxiamtely) how old she is?

Four months seems both so long and so short, doesn't it, since our beloved dogs wen to the bridge, practically on the same day... In fact I am "looking without looking" for a new friend for Foxie, if you know what I mean. In fact I am just waiting for the right dog to cross my path, and I'm sure it will if it is the right thing for Foxie and me... Which doesn't stop me from looking and asking around, of course.

The Havanese Bichon is my favourite "small size" breed after the Lowchen. But they are rarely advertised for rehoming, and also I feel a slightly bigger dog would be better suited to Foxie's size. But all that is not definite at all in my mind... As I wrote above, I am just considering this new addition to our home...

Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We werenít looking she kind of appeared in our life and we knew.
She is about two years old med/large blond/gold (where her wounds were the hair has grown back dark gold). My granddaughterís other Granma and her aunt do the rescuing and she is her Dogmother and will take her on if o/h and I pop our clogs before Lucy so we made sure we are covered in that way.

It turns out she has a large chocolate coloured nose Judy. Very Happy xx

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

She sounds lovely, Gerrie and you certainly have all the bases covered. Photos as soon as........

And....large chocolate coloured ( I nearly typed " covered" ! ) nose?? I am definitely going to need photos.... Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In total agreement with your last sentence below, Judy! Laughing

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool Laughing

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Never my strong point but will do my best. X

Devon-Maid
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nina07 wrote:

And to answer your question about the type, I'd like medium-sized with long(ish) coat"

Here you go ...

GILLY ,MARK, MACKENZIE AND TALI
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Goodness Gilly - I hope you gave him some food, some of Mark's old clothing and sent him on his way! Twisted Evil

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Laughing Laughing but we love him. Laughing

judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good luck wth your search Nina, hope you find another furry friend for Foxie x

Gerrie i'm so happy for you, but it did bring a tear to my eye reading about what Lucy has gone through. So pleased she will get her happy ever after home.x

Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you. She didnít lose her sight so thatís brilliant. Have sent pic to Mark in The hope he can post it on off topic if he doesnít mind. Not sure if it can be done .. mystery to me Rolling Eyes

Mac & Tali
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's Lucy !!! Very Happy
Gerrie, I'm sorry, but I couldn't put it on "Off Topic" there is an algorithm in the Security Protocol that means you have to post pictures
of unfeasibly gorgeous dogs in the main section of the FBC ...
Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh my goodness, she is too gorgeous for words....and with such a big brown nose Cool

We wish you, Molly and Lucy a very happy life together and please please send us more photos as she progresses.

GILLY ,MARK, MACKENZIE AND TALI
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Oh my, she DEFinitely belongs on the Home page Very Happy Isnt she lovely?...edible...munchy...so winsome...and, A Great Nose, to boot. Gerrie we are going to need updates please....?

If I am not mistaken, that nose looks to be dark chocolate with a hint of Cyprian apricot...

Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Aw she is a beauty, no wonder you fell for her. Very Happy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic