The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Pulling View next topic
View previous topic
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Beardie peeps .. just wondered if any of you have any experience of Halti leads to stop pulling ??
Lucy as you know is a street dog with no experience or training and used to “going her own way”. Being a hound she is ruled by her nose !!
Mollie and Lizzie went to training classes and a achieved their Gold Good Citizen certificates. They were a joy to walk on and off the lead. 18 months ago I fell and broke my rib, arm and damaged by spine which means I don not have the strength to deal with a muscle bound hound pulling all over the place. Sad Early days I know but .. is a Halti going to help please ??

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally Gerrie I don't like Haltis as they tend to pull up into the eyes and must be very uncomfortable for the dog. If you were to use a headcollar I would recomend a Gentle Leader or a Kumfi Dogalter they stay in place and are much better. Headcollars though are somewhat frowned upon now as they can cause neck damage and also tend to pull the dogs head up into a confrontational position which can cause bother with other dogs. I always use harnesses myself and although not as effective if you get something like a Truelove harness, with the front attachment used with a double ended lead they are quite good. There is always the Mekuti balance harness too if you don't intend to keep letting the dog off lead and putting back on, they are a bit of a pain then due to the method of attachment.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hiya - I didnt know the new opinion about head collars, but then it has been a long time since my Betsy. I used a Gentle Leader on her and it was marvellous - she didnt mind wearing it and it certainly made a difference while I was teaching her to walk nicely ( it took some time but we did manage it! ). She didnt wear it all her life - she was eventually on a webbing collar and lead. They are a little padded around the nose and easy to put on and take off - she would, in the end, come up to me and put her head through, it as she knew it meant walkies

Never a Halti - they close up on the muzzle and must feel like suffocating...I think they " work " because the dog is too freaked to pull in case that feeling happens Sad

xx Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When we had a dog that was inclined to tow we used Libby’s controller lead which helped a lot making walking much more pleasant, the dog did learn not to pull and we reduced the usage.
They can be used just as a slip lead or in a figure of 8, which the loop sits over the muzzle . Very Easy and effective to use and can drop the loop off and go back to a slip lead if not needed.
https://www.libbyshorsetack.co.uk/product/dog-controller-lead/

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That sounds very much like the Gencon Tracey:

https://gencon-allin1.co.uk/

I have used them in the past, may be better than the headcollar.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you. I shall take that on board. She will be very trainable but just now I need a little help. I know they calm down eventually Very Happy

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
judy g
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep Gerrie.....when they are about 10....... Laughing xx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That sounds about right Judy Laughing Laughing

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Twisted Evil Laughing Rolling Eyes

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was lucky enough to win a 'pet connection harness' from Aldi at a beardie club function last year and it has really reformed himself's behavior, from a puller to a non puller. It took about 2 months before he realised it wasn't an instrument of torture, I have also had success with a loopi (not sure about spelling) with a rescue border but I am not sure how this would work on a hairy. Good luck and keep with it

Jacquietwig
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You do have to watch out with those loopies as they can cut under the arms. Glad you found something to sort Fraser out Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yet another piece of advice, Gerrie, I hope you can find a suitalble solution among all our recommendations! Very Happy

Miss You was not a street dog but she spent the first 3 years of her life in a cage, which didn't exactly prepare her to being walked on a leash... She pulled like mad at the beginning, and although she was small she did pull hard! Then someone recommended the EasyWalk harness, which I bought, and it helped a lot. So... here it is:

https://www.petsafe.net/easywalk

Nina, Foxy Lady, Wapi, Biba & Naïs (Miss You and Noisette forever in my heart).
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you Nina xx

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic