The UK Bearded Collie Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Hair View next topic
View previous topic
Christine Stafford.
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
I'm thinking of trimming the hair over my dogs eyes, cos there always walking into things, and walk like they are blind, i know this is how it is meant to hang, but any thoughts on the idea? love this site and all the mad beardie people out their chatting about their dogs, i have 2 Coalacre Beardies Ellie and Max.

Christine Stafford

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi

We have hairslides for our beardies to keep their hair out of their eyes. They stay in their hair and don't fall out so easily.

Midshires Bearded Collie Club had them on their stall at the last Show.

Also availble from some breeders.

They cost under a pound each from Midshires and I pay about 6 plus postage for 10 from a breeder (figures are approximate)

Alternatively you could use a small scrunchie and put their hair in a top knot. The last option is a small claw clip.
Christine Stafford.
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
do use scrunchies sometimes, but with all the rolling they do, there always slipping out, but decided not to cut the hair, cos you wont know where to stop!!!!!!!!!

Christine Stafford

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

our huxley is 15 month we have left his hair to grow long over his head but pull it up with a small band so he can see where h is going if u take him out with a ball to play and his hair is down he can never find it. and yes they do walk in to things. some times a lamp post. but i do think they look nice. by the way huxley is a kiltondale mam kiltondale kimona jw lucy & dad leamedo weaver ofdreams for gildenmede fynn. pam c hartlepool
Vix
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We have all 4 boys fringe in a band , I was told by someone that if you cut the hair around the eyes it can grow inwards, towards the eyes causing problems.Dont know if its true but it put me off Shocked

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

HI Christine

Have a look in the general photo's around page 6, you'll see a picture of my Aimee and her sister Tia sporting hairslides.

Jacky
Vix
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyone know where I can get them online or around Beds area??

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Vicky

I have PM'd you details

Jacky
Beardiehome
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Jacky
If you know an on-line source could you PM me too please? I've been looking for easy clips but have only found the metal slide sort and Ellie hates them, these look much easier to put in.

Jan
Chris and Ozzy
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We use a band and something called a Canadian knot where you tuck the tuft back under the band. This rarely comes out. We used to cut our last Beardie's hair, but we had to do it regularly.
I don't know which is best as either way it doesn't look like all the show dogs whose hair seem to sit back beautifully away from the eyes.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Jackie, Do your boys wear hair slides too. Could you send me the details as well (for the future of course). I used to use plaiting bands on Maddie but often had to cut them out.

GILLY ,MARK, MACKENZIE AND TALI
Jacky L
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Gilly

Yes my boy Barney and my friends Barney both wear the hairslides too.

Obviously not the pink ones though.

Jacky
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We use the canadian knot also though we didn't know it had a name. Confused Stays in better than a slide for us. Very Happy

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
Cornish Cleo
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to trim my old boy's hair from his eyes after many years tying it back (never very successfully) and the hair never turned inwards. But he was a really good ol' boy and never minded me taking the scissors to him (used to trim his private parts too!)

But young Jago is a different kettle of fish and won't let me near him with scissors! Not surre what he thinks I'm going to do but I suppose if someone approached my nether regions with a pair of scissors, I might get a bit skittish too!

Any way, he is 6 months now and his hair is too short to tie back and too long to let him see easily. So any mid-term suggestions would be welcome! Thanks - I know one of you will have a brilliant idea!
Vix
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When Bertie was about six months I put his fringe in two separate bands (so he looked a bit like a little devil) it was only for about a month and then it was long enough to go in one.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The part we have always found difficult to cope with is the hair at the top of the nose at the inside corners of the eyes. It grows aover the eyes and they can't see and after putting up with it for so long we started to trim that bit Shocked We do like to see those beautiful eyes Cool Breeders tell us that it will just lie down eventually but even with wetting it it didn't.

Gerrie Two Tins - chicken wrangler. Mistress of the Flock. Keeper of the Kitchen Garden and Mistress of the Kennel.
Kentish Sue
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I always get my daughter to trim those bits up Geri - she is a hairdresser and is better with the scissors than me!!!! she also just thins their fringes out a bit too. We kept our old dog's fringe short and out of his eyes as he was slowly losing his sight.

Never Forgotten:
Harry, Shilstone Cornishman
Sadie, Breaksea Hot Spice

Jane
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

O/H trimmed Fee's fringe one day when I was shopping Shocked He said it wasn't fair that she couldn't see Rolling Eyes We don't show her and she tries to eat her bobbles so I can't argue really Confused
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

At the Beardie Garden Party there was a boy with a lovely thinned out fringe but his "mum" was a hair dresser so knew what she was doing. I did trim Mol fringe once and she looked like a Scottie dog above the eyes -I never did it again Shocked

SnWalter
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello all,

This is obviously something that we are battling with. We clip Walters hair, pulled back(gently) straight up and onto his head. However the clips that we use will only stay in place for so long. Are there any products/clips specifically for this sort of situ., and if so where can I order them from.

Cutting is out of the question( whilst there are other options) but we do want Walter to see where he is going.
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Surely there is a website for long hair breed trimmings and "hair furniture" Confused

ALISONERANSOM
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sue at Bumbleridge sells the clips you are talking about and they are good and only 4.60 for 10 last time I bought some. If you tell her male or females she will sort out suitable colours.
I have never cut the hair unless they were very elderly as I do feel the hair covering protects the eyes when they are crashing through the undergrowth and also of course fron the glare of the sun. Not this summer of course!
They won't stay in for bouncy beardie play but I use them for obedience class or just for them to look cute when visiting mother in law at the home for the confused!
At shows people use various products to keep the hair back. Sit and stay is one I have used, vaseline, paw wax and also clear mascara but I don't think it would do the coat much good to use this all the time.
I must say I have been lucky it seems with my beardies as I haven't had them crashing into things until they had cataracts.
Alison (Devon)
shonam
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A lot of show people get clips from Sue Nicolls-Ward, Bumbleridge beardies but I'm sure they are available from some of the club stalls and you would probably be able to order them

Shona
Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like my house, I'm often very confused Rolling Eyes are there any clips other than bows. Question O/H refuses to take her out anywhere with a bow in her hair Rolling Eyes

Gerrie
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Think I shall have a quick Google and report back Wink

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic